Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shotgun wiring question...  (Read 3449 times)

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Shotgun wiring question...
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:53:26 PM »
After much research, I still can't seem to get a good answer. I have two cables that will be used for wiring one channel. Each cable has two conductors in the sheath. The speakers are set for bi-wiring and the amp has one positive/negative for each channel. Which of the following would produce the best results...

1) One cable (two conductors) used as both positive connections on the speakers and one connection on the amp end (same for negative side) or...

2) One cable used as positive and negative for low speaker posts (going to the amps positive and negative posts) and the second cable taking care positive and negative of the upper posts?

I think I am analyzing this too much, but I just want to be sure. I would assume the positive cables should be together in the same sheath, but just not sure if this will make any difference. Any help before I start the crimping and applying shrink wrap?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:55:02 PM by bkirby »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Shotgun wiring question...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »
With my speakers if you wire a shotgun pair (like I have) to the upper & lower modules it cuts out the crossover in the speakers vs. wiring to the lower pair of terminals. I would say to try both & stick with what sounds best but that would be way too easy  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

cshepherd

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 07:43:49 PM »
Choice #2 is the way to go.  Don't ask me why, that's just how it's done.  What I appreciate with bi-wiring is getting rid of the metal jumper plates that connect the tweeter posts to the driver posts (positive>positve / negative>negative).  The posts restrict extention and sound somewhat clouded.  Once you've heard your speakers without them, it's hard to go back...at least in this crackpot's opinion.  If you can only run one set of speaker cables to your speakers, connect to the tweeter's posts.  The jumpers' effects are not quite as noticeable when the tweeter gets the straight juice.  This has been my experience.  The jumpers seem to really hinder the tweeter's performance when the cables are connected to the driver's binding posts.

~crackpot

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »
With my speakers if you wire a shotgun pair (like I have) to the upper & lower modules it cuts out the crossover in the speakers vs. wiring to the lower pair of terminals. I would say to try both & stick with what sounds best but that would be way too easy  ;D

Thanks Carl. after a little more searching on Audio Asylum, I have come to the conclusion that the best way to run shotgun wires is that the positives will be in the same cable sheath, and the negatives will be in the other sheath. I have gone ahead and wired the cables this was and it honestly sounds fantastic! Still breaking the wire in, but so far, so good. Any idea if running the cables this way cuts out the crossover on the VR2's?

Choice #2 is the way to go.  Don't ask me why, that's just how it's done.  What I appreciate with bi-wiring is getting rid of the metal jumper plates that connect the tweeter posts to the driver posts (positive>positve / negative>negative).  The posts restrict extention and sound somewhat clouded.  Once you've heard your speakers without them, it's hard to go back...at least in this crackpot's opinion.  If you can only run one set of speaker cables to your speakers, connect to the tweeter's posts.  The jumpers' effects are not quite as noticeable when the tweeter gets the straight juice.  This has been my experience.  The jumpers seem to really hinder the tweeter's performance when the cables are connected to the driver's binding posts.

~crackpot

I have gone ahead and already wired them as choice #1, and so far it sounds great. Many people on Cable Asylum say the best way to go is like choice #1, but there are many other who swear by choice #2. I think I will stay with it like this for a while, and I may split them up again at some point and do some more tests. I have been running the VR2's with the Canare 4S11 wired with each conductor going to a post. I have yet to try the VR2's with the jumper plate, and don't plan on it...

I also have to reccomend a new SACD I got the other day which was recorded with the infamous IsoMike! The Joe McQueen SACD i"Ten At 86" is outstanding! Soundstage and dynamics are great! Thanks again to you both and +t...

cshepherd

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
Interesting.  I've never even considered wiring up speakers that way.  Often, we're using different brands of wire for the drivers and tweeters...using the wires to fine tune a system.  Since you are using the same type of wire, I'm thinking both wiring config's should sound the same unlesss there is some sonic difference gained by having the positive leads paired together.  I will check this out.  +T backatcha

~crackpot

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »
As far as what I was able to undestand, the positive signals paired together resulted in reduced rf interference and inductance while the send cables are paired together, and the return cables are paired together. It also seems the same could be argued for the opposite though. I'm just as confused as ever and there seems to be no definitive definition for shotgun wiring. None of this may make much of a difference for 8ft. wires anyhow. Just over analyzing as usual...

The cables I am currently using are silver-clad copper with a teflon covering and techflex. The positives are paired together in one sheath going to one speaker, and the same with the negatives. Trying out the different cables for upper and lower posts will come later.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:11:08 PM »
Still breaking the wire in, but so far, so good. Any idea if running the cables this way cuts out the crossover on the VR2's?

I'll be interested to know if you hear any change over time.  There was a thread in the cables section recently.....

Yes, running the cables that way effectively removes the crossover path between the upper taps and the bass driver.  The VR4JR is the same way.  I got a really good improvement when I biwired the JRs.  Having the two identical pair of cables is better than a sheathed biwire cable, IMO, because you are all set to do a passive bi-amp config next.  That will be a good step up too.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

cshepherd

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 09:31:37 PM »
Still breaking the wire in, but so far, so good. Any idea if running the cables this way cuts out the crossover on the VR2's?

I'll be interested to know if you hear any change over time.  There was a thread in the cables section recently.....

:lol:  That thread's a classic.

Yes, running the cables that way effectively removes the crossover path between the upper taps and the bass driver.  The VR4JR is the same way.  I got a really good improvement when I biwired the JRs.  Having the two identical pair of cables is better than a sheathed biwire cable, IMO, because you are all set to do a passive bi-amp config next.  That will be a good step up too.

agreed.

Chris

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 08:31:20 AM »
fwiw..
VSA told me that the *ONLY* way to run their speakers w/seperate modules (like the vr4jr) is to shotgun them, which means four speaker cables.  a seperate one for each part of the speaker.
when I moved to this w/my VR4s, the difference was HUGE.  Like they woke up from a nap.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 08:32:01 AM »
oh, and Brad...
i'm still waiting on word from the west coast.  seems they forgot about me.
I'm small potatoes.
i'll keep bugging, if your still interested.

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 09:10:24 AM »
oh, and Brad...
i'm still waiting on word from the west coast.  seems they forgot about me.
I'm small potatoes.
i'll keep bugging, if your still interested.

Nick, still Interested. Keep me up to date when you hear something. I'm also willing to pass on the b-stock and just buy new as long as they have the dark cherry in. Talk to ya' later...

Brad K.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com