Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Near-Field Monitors & PCI Soundcard for Under $600?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Near-Field Monitors & PCI Soundcard for Under $600?
« on: March 06, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »

Is it possible? Got any recommendations for me? I need better playback on my computer when mixing/mastering, but I'm not interested in blowing a lot of cash on it right now (other priorities for large purchases, heh).

I was thinking about a cheap 24/96 PCI card and a pair of BX8s, but feel free to change my mind.  ;)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Near-Field Monitors & PCI Soundcard for Under $600?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:59:56 PM »

Is it possible? Got any recommendations for me? I need better playback on my computer when mixing/mastering, but I'm not interested in blowing a lot of cash on it right now (other priorities for large purchases, heh).

I was thinking about a cheap 24/96 PCI card and a pair of BX8s, but feel free to change my mind.  ;)

I like the M-audio Audiophile cards both the 96k and 192k versions are good choices both the anolog front end and the digital processing is very good. For monitors I like Alesis project 1 monitors with a seperate power amp. This might put you slightly over, but I think in the end you will be happy. I also love the Yorkville sound ysm1 monitor.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline momule

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:15:04 PM »
I really like the KRK-RP8 Monitors for the money.  I think there are a couple of folks on here that runs the 5's maybe they will. chime in.

There is a Audiophile 96 on ebay right now for less than $70 shipped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Delta-Audiophile-Midi-Pro-Audio-card-24-96-khz_W0QQitemZ260094266025QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That will get ya some "reference sound" under $600

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 12:03:22 AM »
I have an Audiophile 2496 and plan on swapping out my full-fledged office playback for the Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1.  My Bel Canto DAC 1.1 > Audio Experiences Symphonies > McCormack DNA-1 > VR-1s are complete overkill for my small, cramped, acoustically unpleasing office space.  The MediaDesk 2.1 goes for ~$500 new, I'm guessing substantially less via their B-Stock program (if they have any at the moment).  Haven't heard the MD 2.1 yet, but...curious to give it a spin.  It's time for a change in the office (heh...and selling a bunch of that stuff will hopefully get me to a pair of VR-2s in the living room!).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 12:18:21 AM »
i love my md 2.1

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 03:23:51 PM »
Interesting, thanks guys. I'm thinking I actually don't want a sub for this purpose -- just nice clean 2-channel without crossovers and whatnot. I just want something better to mix on than my headphones right now, but I don't want to spend much money doing it. Sounds like the Audiophile 2496 is a lock, but still need to get a gameplan on the monitors...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 10:14:52 AM »
I have an Audiophile 2496 and plan on swapping out my full-fledged office playback for the Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1.  My Bel Canto DAC 1.1 > Audio Experiences Symphonies > McCormack DNA-1 > VR-1s are complete overkill for my small, cramped, acoustically unpleasing office space.  The MediaDesk 2.1 goes for ~$500 new, I'm guessing substantially less via their B-Stock program (if they have any at the moment).  Haven't heard the MD 2.1 yet, but...curious to give it a spin.  It's time for a change in the office (heh...and selling a bunch of that stuff will hopefully get me to a pair of VR-2s in the living room!).

I've had the media desk 2.1 for about 1.5 years and love it.  Lots of bang for the buck.  HIGHLY recomended.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 10:40:07 AM »
Hey I thought you might want to check this monoitor out its not a Genelec or a dyneaudio but its cheap and it actually sounds pretty dam good for the $$$

$199 for a active pair of monitors..

The new M1 Active 520 reference monitor continues the Alesis tradition of building premium studio monitors at a great price. The M1 Active 520 offers incredible definition and flat frequency response with the help of high-precision drivers and a carefully designed crossover. The rear-port provides deep bass-extension and high SPL output, and the four rear-mounted EQ switches allow the user to tailor the speaker to the studio environment. The M1 Active 520's 1" thick front baffle minimizes speaker resonance and the visually stunning acoustic waveguide evenly disperses high-frequency sound across your control room. The M1Active 520 has our new Bass Density control, which allows you to tailor these monitors to any kind of control room setting regardless of room placement.

Finally, the distinctive top-mounted power/clip indicator lets you know if the speaker is clipping.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline baustin

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:01:44 PM »
I really like the KRK-RP8 Monitors for the money.  I think there are a couple of folks on here that runs the 5's maybe they will. chime in.

I have the KRK-RP5's. Probably should've gone with the 8's, but I do like the 5's regardless. I'm actually thinking about getting the sub.

Offline baustin

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
just looked on ebay and you'll obviously wanna read closely to make sure, but 2 x KRK RP5 + KRK RP10S for $499 shipped!

http://cgi.ebay.com/KRK-RP5-Rokit-5-Monitors-w-RP10S-Powered-Sub-Woofer_W0QQitemZ250093714110QQcategoryZ47093QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250093714110

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 02:19:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips...

FWIW, I went with a pair of KRK-RP6 using an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI card. At some point in the future, I might put down for the sub, but for now, I'm going to be plenty happy with this setup compared to what I had before.

Can't wait to start using them!!!  :)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
powered Tannoy Reveals with an Echo Mia or an ESI Juli@

perhaps light on the bottom, but great for guitar and vocals, IMHO

Thanks for the tips...

FWIW, I went with a pair of KRK-RP6 using an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI card. At some point in the future, I might put down for the sub, but for now, I'm going to be plenty happy with this setup compared to what I had before.

Can't wait to start using them!!!  :)

Certainly not a bad choice
The KRKs are voiced a bit differently than the Tannoys, but definitely a solid choice

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:14:42 PM by _bob »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.23 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com