Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CAT-5 speaker cable DIY page  (Read 12505 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: CAT-5 speaker cable DIY page
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2004, 12:36:04 PM »
My buddy does the financial planner, insurance, creepy salesman thing.  With as many tests and classes and studying he has done I'd have thought he would be a doctor by now, but he's not.  I'll have taken half the tests and classes and at least come out with a MSE from a highly rated engr college.

How long you guys taking to make these cables??  I need a 25' run

SC

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 12:53:18 PM »
My buddy does the financial planner, insurance, creepy salesman thing.  With as many tests and classes and studying he has done I'd have thought he would be a doctor by now, but he's not.  I'll have taken half the tests and classes and at least come out with a MSE from a highly rated engr college.

How long you guys taking to make these cables??  I need a 25' run

SC

it took me about thirty hours to make an 8 ft. pair, i can't even imagine how long it would take to make a pair of 25 footers.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 01:34:42 PM »
I am gonna respond to this later ;)
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 01:38:45 PM »
25 feet, well 30 hours for 8 feet and that was with Matt helping, so multiply that by three, 90 hours or so!  The biggest problem I had was the amount of blisters on my hands that are just now disappearing.  That combined with my inability to wear gloves at the gym and well, you know!

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 01:47:24 PM »
ok skip that idea!  My wire world cables will have to do.

SC

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 02:34:48 PM »
25 feet, well 30 hours for 8 feet and that was with Matt helping, so multiply that by three, 90 hours or so!  The biggest problem I had was the amount of blisters on my hands that are just now disappearing.  That combined with my inability to wear gloves at the gym and well, you know!

Daryan

it would take way longer than 90 hours, i can't even imagine how much of a pain it would be to try to untangle 30 feet of cable.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 02:48:36 PM »
I forgot about the untangling.  If my estimates are correct, venhaus reccomends purchasing 50 percent more cable than you need, I would reccomend 100 percent as it if you want 25 feet, you would need to start with lengths of 50 feet.  So, maybe 200 hours of solid braiding.  Not worth it.  You figure even at minimum wage, 200 x 5 bucks is 1000 dollars!  You can get killer cables for 1000 bucks, but then again you couldn't say I made these!  The easier route scott would be to make the triple t cable's, you could pull those off in that length in a couple hours, and they would sound decent to boot!

daryan

jpschust

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 02:51:33 PM »
c'mon daryan- when's my smackdown on whole life insurance coming :D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 02:58:57 PM »
Something to consider with the cat5 cables of 25ft length: some recipes are reported to have high capacitance and the amount increases with length of the finished cable.  Some power amps are not stable with high capacitance loads.  You might want to search audioasylum for some discussion.  I ran across alot of information there when I considered making these.  (Ultimately I just bought used cables off agon, I can't afford to work for $5 an hour)  

If you want to do this to say you made something your self, you might consider the John Risch recipe speaker cables made using paired coax cable.  You have to get the correct coax cables, but they get decent reviews and they don't take hundreds of hours to construct.

There are a ton of DIY recipes and many highend cable companies sell bulk cable directly or through dealers.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2004, 03:55:42 PM »

It's coming my friend, I just don't have time just yet to go into a diatribe about it.  Gimme a couple hours my friend...although I think you may be surprised at my answer!

Daryan 8)

jpschust

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2004, 04:17:31 PM »

It's coming my friend, I just don't have time just yet to go into a diatribe about it.  Gimme a couple hours my friend...although I think you may be surprised at my answer!

Daryan 8)

just an fyi, i dont think its bad in all situations, but many of the situations in which it is sold are rediculous

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2004, 07:11:10 PM »
OK, here goes.  I completely disagree with the notion that some form of permanent life insurance is not necessary.  In order to re4ally gurantee your financial future, regardless of where you have your money allocated, it is absolutely necessary to have some form of a emergency exspense account to pull money from in the even that you need it.  The reason you are buying permanent life insurance is several fold.  First, as mentioned, you have got to have a pool of money to pull from.  What happens if you get really sick and can't work.  Your disability at work covers you for three years.  Add the sum of lost wages, coinsurance bills, deductibles, etc, where does this money come.  You have two options as I see it.  Well, maybe three.  You can liquidate your savings account until it's balance reaches zero.  You can cash out the 401k or tax-qualified retirement account, take a ton of penalties, pay taxes on the interest, and have absolutely nothing to retire with, or you cann simply allocate a pot of money towards not only a death benefit, but also a cash account which is going to grow at a sdpecific interest rate each and every year.  I have heard the addage over and over again, "I have always heard buy term and invest the rest."  Well folks, the reality is 90 percent of the population simply doesn't do it.  They would rather spend a butt load of money, paying interest, on boats, trailers, rv's, snowmobile's, fucking McDonlads even.  Then when it comes time to really needing a pot of money in a specific situation, retirement, illness, etc, they simply don't have it.  Let me give you an example.  You have been investing 10 percent into a 401k account since you started working.  The average american will retire with roughly 200,000 dollars in this account and rely on socialsecuirty for the rest.  Let's say you have married couple.  So we have 400ik dollars to allocate towards retirement.  Let's assume they have been forthright enough to have at least established something, preferrably a roth ira if they are within the income level.  90 percent of retirees have no owned retirement account nationally speaking.  That gives us 500k plus social security from which to withdraw money.  Now the first thing we have to realize is that that 400k from the 401k is essentially 300k assuming a tax rate of 25 percent on the groth.  So 300 plus 100 gives us 400k.  Let's say as a married couple you need 50,000 dollars per year to enjoy retirement, and in my opinion this is very very low.  well, 24000 comes from uncle sam, as the average retiree male recieves 1200, the average female 800 per month.  24,ooo.  where does the extra 26000 come from your 401k of course.  so, we divide 300k by 26,000 and we get roughly 11 years of income.  We are now a married couple at age 76 and we are now living on just social secuirty.  24 whopping thousand dollars a month assuming everythng I have said is true, which we are assuming it is for this example.  Now, we couple have possibly offset the taxation of our retirement accounts and had our full 400k, which would have helped siginifigantly, by uttilizing our whole or universal life insurance account value.

I explain life insurance like this...

From the age of 25 or so on, you are going to have the same variables which need to be protected.  You will have medical, funeral, and some sort of income you want to leave to someone, whether it be a loved one, a friend, whomever, in order to ensure they are able to bear the financial burden of your loss.  Average fun. exspenses are about 12 grand right now, medical we need to allocate a minimum of a year's salary, and income we would decide after talking with each other and performing a life need's analysis.  These exspenses are permanent, whether you are 45 when you die, or 100.  YOu are also gioing to have temporary need because of marriage while younger, kids, education costs, mortgages, loans etc.  The acronym life will help you calculate the number.  L is for loans, total the total amount of all outstanding loans together.  I, is for income replacement.  In the event that you die tomorrow, how much will your spose/children, etc need to continue living the same type of lifestyle they would have led assuming you were here.  For most married americans the answer is 12x salary, and for american's with children 20x salary.  F is for final exspenses, roughly 12ki.  E is for education.  Is it important to you to leave something in the evcent of a tradgedy to allocate funds towards the education of your children, spouse etc.  This could be college, technical/trade school etc. 

Your need for some of this is permanent.  Let's assume for easiness sake, your permanent need is 100,000.  In today's dollars let's say we allocate 12k for burial, 70k for income, and the remainder for education.  Now, this is fine and dandy.  The majority of advisors will pull out a quote for a Universal life policy and tell you this is perfect, we take care of the need for cash value as well as the aforementioned variables.  Universal life is not guranteed and fluctuates with the interst rate FYI.  The problem with this product is the fact that with option 1, the death benefit is going to stay the same.  Now, can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me that 100k today is going to be enough in 40 years for instance.  NO, no way!  Thus, whole life and universal life option 2, death benefit increasing are more appropraite.  The reason UL's are popular is that they are cheaper, plain and simple.  However, we are assuming and not thinking that 10k is going to be enough in the future.  "Well, I could just buy more later."  OK, this is true, if and only if you can gurantee me today that you will be insurable when the time comes.

In sumary, the need for permanent life is obvious.  You can cover the portions of the LIFE structure mentioned above with term insurance of course, as your needs during the ages of 30-60 are goiung to be quiite signifigant.  But don't tel me for one minute there is no need for permanent insurance, there is always a need, and I hope I have explained this well enough to make sense!

Daryan

jpschust

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2004, 08:04:19 PM »
Daryan, I'm going to quote this in the open forum and drive the discussion over to there rather than having it get lost in this thread

Offline Tommy E.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team AKG
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2004, 02:06:20 PM »
I finsihed a pair of these venhaus cables yesterday and was blown away by the difference it made to the sound of my system.  My system is in no way hi-fi and I can still tell a big difference.  If anyone is considering making these I say do it, you will not regret it.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2004, 02:07:42 PM »
+t tommy

glad to see this thread get back on-topic!
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com