Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Media Storage?  (Read 6006 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Media Storage?
« on: November 21, 2004, 11:54:39 AM »
The quantity of my media (CD's, LP's, DVD's, even books) is getting out of control and I'm finding I'm running out of ideas on how to store everything.  How have you guys solved this solution?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Media Storage?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 12:03:10 PM »
I use these for my store bought CDs

http://www.can-am.ca/

but have recently decided to start storing all my CD-Rs in envelopes (vs. the binders I have them in now) and use one of these cabinets.

While the cabinets are metal, they have a paint finish to them that almost gives them a leather looking finish. 

Expensive, but I would definitely recommend them.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 01:58:10 PM »
Just sorting through this same issue.  After my move, everything's still in boxes and I purged my old cinderblock/board shelves.  I'd to store all my studio and masters in cases on bookshelves and keep the rest in books/sleeves.

Anyone have any recommendations for simple wood bookshelves that hold, oh...minimum 500 CDs?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 02:12:12 PM »
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/Leslie-Dame-Enterprises/CD-612/0PLE1000.htm

browse them for stuff for just cds

they have a nice selection and very good customer service. 

i think i found a solution for my vinyl at the container store- they had nice selection of plastic containers there.

now to work through cds and dvds.. ive got some ideas, but still looking for more from yall

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline drumrboy22

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 07:31:53 PM »
Just sorting through this same issue.  After my move, everything's still in boxes and I purged my old cinderblock/board shelves.  I'd to store all my studio and masters in cases on bookshelves and keep the rest in books/sleeves.

Anyone have any recommendations for simple wood bookshelves that hold, oh...minimum 500 CDs?

i've had luck with ikea.  i have two black entertainment center style units that have two shelves about 5 feet long across the bottom that are the perfect size for 12" records.  i've got most of my record collection in there. 

i also bought a nice cd storage unit from ikea.  it has sliding wood doors in the front and is about 6 feet tall.  i think it holds 1000 cd's, but i'm not certain.  i have the rest of my cd collection in case logic binders, cd spools and in small wooden crates.  although i will say i really like the ones already recommended here: http://www.can-am.ca/    those look pretty nice. 

i still haven't done anything about my dat's.  most are in empty maxell dat boxes under my bed, but i'd like to find a better place for them.  i think some clear rubbermaid boxes would work for now.  at least, until i get a house with a basement and more room for all my toys... 

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 11:22:54 PM »
have any of you folks done the RAID thing yet? that is the way i am leaning, but i was wondering if any of you had gone there before me...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 03:14:08 PM »
have any of you folks done the RAID thing yet? that is the way i am leaning, but i was wondering if any of you had gone there before me...

the RAID thing?

Offline drumrboy22

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 05:04:42 PM »

the RAID thing?

i had never heard of it, but i did a quick search.  take a look: http://www.systemlogic.net/articles/01/1/raid/
Short for Redundant Array of Independent (or Inexpensive) Disks
it's new to me.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 05:19:06 PM »
yeah - setting disc drives up, lots of them, to store all the files, but in a raid, they are saved twice (hence redundant) so that if one of the drives fails, you pull it and replace it, but lose no data, because the system inherently(sp) backs itself up...

i would love to get get one of those server carts and fill it with disc drives, and store all the shn/flac files i have there, connect it to the home network (already set up). my audio player computer is all set up on the network too, and you just play the files across the network, which i do already, but i just keep adding 'puters and disc drives - no redundancy, so if one of the drives fails, whatever has not been backed up to dvdr is lost - i want to change that...

but i have too many hard drives as it is - backing up all of my stuff to dvd-r is an insurmountable task at this point...

-macdaddy ++

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 09:46:32 PM »
i've got this from spinkeeper.  1060 capacity.  mine's full and have a boatload of books full also.  raid seems inevitable, but the initial transfer will be a bummer
we all live downstream.

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 09:50:26 PM »
ok wasnt sure if you were talking about something else.  honestly- i dont want to spend that kind of money in doing a backup like that.  not to mention im going to have to burn everything to cd if i want it again anyways. 

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 10:29:19 PM »
ok wasnt sure if you were talking about something else.  honestly- i dont want to spend that kind of money in doing a backup like that.  not to mention im going to have to burn everything to cd if i want it again anyways. 
???

are you talking about a raid, or the tricked out case john r posted a pic of above..? (nice looking stand, btw - how much was it?)
-macdaddy ++

jpschust

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 12:51:32 AM »
i was talking about raid :)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 09:53:04 AM »
yeah - setting disc drives up, lots of them, to store all the files, but in a raid, they are saved twice (hence redundant) so that if one of the drives fails, you pull it and replace it, but lose no data, because the system inherently(sp) backs itself up...

if you do go this route, make sure you look into which array you want to set up, all raid arrays are not redundant, the more redundant they are, the slower they get.  here is a page with the raid's arrays explained.

http://www.acnc.com/04_01_01.html
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com