Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm cursed...  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'm cursed...
« on: December 06, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »
Okay, well about 2 months ago my NAD integrated just quit working for absolutely no reason. I took it into the shop and tried it on some other speakers and sure enough they had the same results as me, no sound. I dropped it off and they bench tested it their at the hifi shop and determined that it was something more complicated than just a bad solder joint, blown fuse (I actually checked that) etc. So it's due to be shipped off to NAD next week (long story why it's taken so long)

Darrin was kind enough to loan me an extra Carver reciever that he had around the house so I could put Sara's boombox back in the closet where it belonged.  ;D He warned me that the "A" side is out....

Got the Carver home tonight, hooked everything up, power it all on and...... silence. At this point I've unhooked the speakers and plugged them into the both A&B. I've hooked the DAT deck up to a tape line and an aux line, I've pressed the a/b switch, I've switched out my speaker cables, I know my interconnects work... I've done everything I can think of at this point and all I can get is just a faint sound when the amp is turned all the way up.

I've looked for a manual on line to no avail. I found an 772 on ebay (this one is a 752) and the pictures in the auction show the unit lit up in the same way it is now.

I get the same results out of the headphone jack too....

anyone have any ideas? I'm really confused :(

the amp appears to be 4ohm/100w
the speakers are 8ohms(3ohms minimum) into 25-100w
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I'm cursed...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 07:23:15 AM »
Is mute on?  ;D

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 09:34:47 AM »
tim:

a) the "Cd direct" button will bypass the other controls (and run cd>amp no matter what else is selected) -- is the cd direct button depressed?

b) if not, can you hear the tuner (even am static) via the headphones?

c) tape moniter -- one button's on/off, the other selects between the 2 decks, both should be off/out.

d) speaker connectors -- as I mentioned before, they're both pretty sketchy, could be an issue, but if the headphone jack isn't passing any sound, not the issue.

edit --

e) also saw you post re running a sub off of the pre-outs.  The pre-outs should have been directly connected to the power amp ins via 2 u-shaped pieces of wire (similar to oversized staples) -- If these aren't connected (or y adaptors aren't rigged up to split the pre's output), the power amp won't be fed anything -- not sure whether the headphone jack's fed by the pre or power amp -- another thought.

HAPPY to drop by and see what I can figure out
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 11:49:14 AM by dnsacks »

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 12:11:23 PM »
e) also saw you post re running a sub off of the pre-outs.  The pre-outs should have been directly connected to the power amp ins via 2 u-shaped pieces of wire (similar to oversized staples) -- If these aren't connected (or y adaptors aren't rigged up to split the pre's output), the power amp won't be fed anything -- not sure whether the headphone jack's fed by the pre or power amp -- another thought.

That was it! I have MUSIC AGAIN!!!!

thanks Darrin, that did the trick. I had unplugged those Ushaped plugs and didn't even think about plugging them back in.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 12:17:48 PM »
sweet!

enjoy the carver --

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 12:19:05 PM »
thanks Darrin... of course now that it's working I need to head to the library :P

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 04:48:26 PM »
glad you don't have to use a boombox anymore....dumass. :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 05:03:34 PM »
nope, still cursed. now one of my speakers is fucked up. it's running really quiet. I think I've isolated the problem to the speaker... switched sides of the amp, same thing; switched speaker cable, same thing.

:P

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 06:05:25 PM »
tim, can you tell whether an individual driver is busted (either by putting your ear real close or feeling the driver for vibrations)

If not, you might want to take a look @ the speaker's internal crossover -- one of my crossovers  broke when I first got my speakers and I was able to fix it pretty easily.

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 06:36:06 PM »
the driver isn't moving at all now, I'm getting nothing from the speaker at all now.

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 06:54:09 PM »
bummer --

hopefully not the result of your nad leaving you something to remember it by.

Still think it could be worthwhile for you to unscrew the driver (do I remember correctly that you have 2 way b&w speakers) and find/check out the crossover.

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2004, 07:03:12 PM »
yep that's the next step....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 07:21:08 PM »
Tim, remind me to never loan gear to or buy gear from you.  :P
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 08:12:17 PM »
no shit :)

well the speaker is now working just fine, for no apparent reason ???

watching that JGB dvd right now Darrin thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com