Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage  (Read 16438 times)

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
Daspyknows, does Hightail do automatic backups or do you have to manually add new files? I went through their webpage and couldn't really find the answer to this.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »
I don't think it does automatic backups.  I don't use it that way.  It is more meant for cloud storage. 

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »
It can do automatic backups, but  .....

You have to sign on to another service for that software service.  I forget the name of the service they use, might be Carbonite, but tried to use it two years ago and it was terribly slow.  I called customer service, and it is simply not designed to back up large collections like I have, I'm at the 16tb range.  It would take six months to upload all of that with Hightail. 

Instead, I manually use Hightail for cloud storage, storing each show with a discrete zip file link, uploading that show, and I use my own written index, because Hightail's search function is unreliable.  Yes it is slow, but very easy to exchange shows (I just give you the permanent link).  Cost is about $15 a month.  So far I've done A-M since Pandemic.  I can do about 20 shows a day, easy. 

I think DaSpy and I use Hightail the same way. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
Yes it is slow, but very easy to exchange shows (I just give you the permanent link).
How do you prevent someone you shared the link with from sharing with others? Can you add a download expiration date?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »
Yes it is slow, but very easy to exchange shows (I just give you the permanent link).
How do you prevent someone you shared the link with from sharing with others? Can you add a download expiration date?

Yes you can add expiration dates.  I am not sure if you can set the number of downloads as it isn't something I need to do.  You can also password protect links.

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »

Yes you can add expiration dates.  I am not sure if you can set the number of downloads as it isn't something I need to do.  You can also password protect links.
Ok. Expiration dates are great. It would be very unpleasant to find links you shared with someone on guitars101 or other sharing sites. Some people just can't be trusted. Passwords can also be shared.

I'll definately have to check out Hightail. I actually started a free account a few minutes ago.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:44:24 PM by TheMetalist »
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 04:45:39 PM »
Two storage options.

SEND and SPACES

Sends have expiration dates, passwords, verifications

Spaces only have passwords. They do not expire.  But can be deleted.

I may be wrong, but that’s my understanding.

Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
I cover most sharing with a 2TB Dropbox but I am looking for something that has similar features but much larger capacity. 

I am giving G Suite a try with the 14 day trial and will test the 1TB limit.  It says 1TB limit if you only use one user, but unlimited if you have 5+ users.  It is $12/month/user
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:01 PM »
Hightail is unlimited storage.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2020, 12:09:33 AM »
Isn't this ironic.  I cannot tell if they are listening to me, or listening to me.  Apparently they are testing some kind of feature that includes the ability to send files up to 100GB from their app.

Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
I don't think it does automatic backups.  I don't use it that way.  It is more meant for cloud storage.

It can do automatic backups, but  .....

Thanks. I am intrigued by the unlimited storage, but I like the automatic backups that I currently get. Each night, I backup my desktop, some specific folders on my NAS, and my laptop (if it is plugged in). As I am currently using less than 25% of my cloud storage allocation, I think I will just keep things as they are until I need more room. At that point, I will definitely take Hightail into consideration...

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »
I have 19TBs backed up with BackBlaze.  It seems to be good for backups and storage, but not for sharing.  But my main goal was simply to have unlimited backups for a reasonable price (I'm paying $60/yr).
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline rigpimp

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »
I have 19TBs backed up with BackBlaze.  It seems to be good for backups and storage, but not for sharing.  But my main goal was simply to have unlimited backups for a reasonable price (I'm paying $60/yr).

I thought they charged $0.005/GB/Month?  I have looked at B2 which would be over $200/month for me.  No thanks.  It's even more expensive to pull data back down.  They also do not allow mapped drives or NAS connections although I think FreeNAS (my OS) has a feature that defeats it.

Back on the G Suite track...

I uploaded a 600gb cassette archive project into a new Shared Drive and it shows 0% used.  I like that.  I'm uploading another 800gb project now to get me up and over the 1TB limit to see what happens.

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2020, 05:17:42 PM »
Hi there -

[edited slightly}
Ah, I hadn't really let it set in that you said you were using BackBlaze strictly as as a backup service.... in my head, I made a mental translation that the 19TB you had "backed up" were essentially like making safety copies, which now that I think about it, wouldn't be needed with dedicated storage, because they would certainly have an array in place making their own redundant backups, etc.... [/end of edited segment]

I reached out to them about offline data storage, and after a couple of conversations, the rep I spoke with pointed me to a page from their blog:

https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/218483787-What-s-the-difference-between-B2-vs-Backblaze-Online-Backup

where I found this, in bold text:

Backblaze Online Backup is not designed to be used as offsite data archival or offsite storage for data that will not be retained on the licensed computer.

Which seems to be a closed door for my storage needs. Over the years I've amassed a collection of external drives, which probably add up to about 10TB or so, conservatively.
Additionally, about 2000 or so 4.7GB data discs with flac filesets, so between 9-10 TB.
Plus, about 800 or so DVD-R discs with ROIO video files, so around 4TB.
And I haven't really rounded up all the cassettes that I've been diligently digitizing this year, since we're all home a lot more than ever before, but safely around 5000+ tapes, maybe more... while I haven't done the math on that yet, it's safe to say that overall, I could stand around 30TB of offline, or offsite, digital storage.

While that might *sound* like a large number, I doubt it. I'm in my 60s now, been taping bands since the late 70s/early 80s, occasionally delving into video as well as audio, for most of the early years relying on fairly low-end gear and media. I'm pretty sure a lot of you folks have been doing it just as long, and with better high-end gear for a lot longer. especially those of you who get into high-end video captures.

Most of the places I've been reading about seem to focus on *much* smaller numbers - anywhere from 4GB to 5TB, and half of those I've looked into focus mainly on backups, rather than dedicated data storage. So I'm still scratching my head as to how I can consolidate all of this physical media into ones and zeros that live in a remote storage facility, and that could be relatively affordable as well.

- - - -

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:02:08 PM by GroundHog420 »
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2020, 11:17:51 PM »
I have 24tb backed up to Hightail.  $16 a month and I share any file with any person in seconds. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com