Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Warning signs before an AD1000 word clock goes kafluey ?  (Read 11193 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Warning signs before an AD1000 word clock goes kafluey ?
« on: June 16, 2005, 04:01:48 PM »
Hey now, my AD1000 has been acting a little weird.  last gig, i looked down to notice that the signal lights were sweeping as if it were trying to find the signal and lock in, which it failed to do until i turned the unit off and on again.   thing is, this happened DURING a recording, so it was fine to start the set, and then lost signal and couldn't find it until the unit was reset off/on.  we wound up losing a (if i may say so myself) darn fine rendition of bela's 'lover's leap'

i have a feeling this might be because it was jostled by the other guitar player's foot, and i'm hoping to never see that fuitle signal-searching light activity again....i am curious if this is a warning of things to come....is word clock failure inevitable, or probable ?  and does it go without warning out of the blue, or is it a gradual thing (with things like this to tell you that it's almost time to think about a V3 )  ?

this is the first time i've had any issues with my adk....any input is appreciated.

The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Warning signs before an AD1000 word clock goes kafluey ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 04:20:41 PM »
that is the tell tale warning sign of a clock going bad  in the old Apogee units
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 04:47:45 PM »
Hey now, my AD1000 has been acting a little weird.  last gig, i looked down to notice that the signal lights were sweeping as if it were trying to find the signal and lock in, which it failed to do until i turned the unit off and on again.   thing is, this happened DURING a recording, so it was fine to start the set, and then lost signal and couldn't find it until the unit was reset off/on.  we wound up losing a (if i may say so myself) darn fine rendition of bela's 'lover's leap'

i have a feeling this might be because it was jostled by the other guitar player's foot, and i'm hoping to never see that fuitle signal-searching light activity again....i am curious if this is a warning of things to come....is word clock failure inevitable, or probable ?  and does it go without warning out of the blue, or is it a gradual thing (with things like this to tell you that it's almost time to think about a V3 )  ?

this is the first time i've had any issues with my adk....any input is appreciated.

on its way out for sure. I feel your pain. I had one die on me after ONE show. There's an adk with a new clock in the yard sale section.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:51:16 PM »
anyone know if there is a way to bypass the A/D section completley on one that the clock has gone out on? Use it as a pre only? The preamps are pretty good in that unit. Ive used them some but never owned one , so havent really sat down and checked one out completely. Lots of my fav panic tapes were made with AD1K's though....
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 04:55:52 PM »
anyone know if there is a way to bypass the A/D section completley on one that the clock has gone out on? Use it as a pre only? The preamps are pretty good in that unit. Ive used them some but never owned one , so havent really sat down and checked one out completely. Lots of my fav panic tapes were made with AD1K's though....

No way to do that...one thing I'm wondering is whether one with a bad WC would accept and sync to an input WC signal from another unit.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 05:07:08 PM »
I wasnt meaning is there a switch on the unit that does it, I was actually thinking would it be possible for one to open the box up and bypass the A/D and add an analog out stage.  Kinda like the mini-mp. That may be what you meant, but just trying to clarify myself a little...
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 05:47:55 PM »
you'd probably need a schemantic, no?

apogee isn't giving those out
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 09:40:43 AM »
headed for a/d heaven..... :'(

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 09:53:42 AM »
It's a damn shame Apogee won't release the schematics for these babies.   :-\
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 10:35:29 AM »
It's a damn shame Apogee won't release the schematics for these babies.   :-\

Time for some industrial espionage? Who's got a floor plan for the Apogee building?  >:D

Think they have scematics on computers? hacker for hire?

Maybe we could have a sit in their corporate offices? I can see it now...tapers everywhere rallying for a good cause...

-e

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 03:22:48 PM »
these things are about a warm fart from being sold for blanks and postage. :P

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 04:17:01 PM »
Not what I wanted to hear of course but thanks all and +Ts for the honesty.

Let's see, I recorded about 100 shows, I paid 475 + 100 to get it working when I got it....not bad.  how much for a new word clock ?  or will this just happen again and again and again..............................

hmmm, now it may be time to go in a completely different direction....i really like the TLs with the ADK ( no pun intended there)....i've been thinking about a lighter setup anyway, maybe AKGs.

cumbaya my friends
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »
Not what I wanted to hear of course but thanks all and +Ts for the honesty.

Let's see, I recorded about 100 shows, I paid 475 + 100 to get it working when I got it....not bad.  how much for a new word clock ?  or will this just happen again and again and again..............................

hmmm, now it may be time to go in a completely different direction....i really like the TLs with the ADK ( no pun intended there)....i've been thinking about a lighter setup anyway, maybe AKGs.

cumbaya my friends

good luck. no chance of getting it fixed, if you didn't know...apogee won't service them anymore. and it'd be way cheaper to shop for a *new* one anyhow.

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 02:13:13 PM »
yep, once they go bad that's it now... no more fixes from apogee.

Paul at prodig has been trying to get a schemantic from them so he could perform some repairs and apogee refuses to hand them over.....

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 01:07:59 PM »
Hey Xpanding Man,

Do you know anyone with a V3? I have an experiment for you. Get a BNC connector and set the AD1K up to sync from a WC rather than the crystal. Use the V3 as a preamp and pass the WC output from the V3 into the AD1K as input.

I'm curious if this would fix the drop out problem.

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone who has an AD1K with a bad WC could try this too. It may be possible that a V3 could be used to salvage an old AD1K....

I was just rereading the AD1K manual for the first time in a couple years and the above thought seems like it's possible.

-e

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com