Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY: AD-20 gain mod... possible?  (Read 2712 times)

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
DIY: AD-20 gain mod... possible?
« on: May 24, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »
Hi!

I have been talking recently about the lack of the AD.20. the minimun 17db of gain.

Anybody has ever think on modify the Ad-20 to turn the minimun gain into 0db (or even 10db would be enough!!!)

I'll really like to mod my AD-20 in order to modify the gain, and I think it will be helpful for all the AD-20 users, because I don't think that anyone of the Ad-20 could have ever used the maximun gain (70 db I guess...), so, if it could be possible to set the gain range to 0-53 or 10-63 db will be enough.

I don't know if this GAIN MOD could be possible to perform, so I'm looking forward to the attention of the ones who could be interested in this thread and this GAIN MOD.

Any suggestion?
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DIY: AD-20 gain mod... possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »
Any suggestion?
AD-20 is the inbox? Or am I mixing things up?
In general: if it uses opamps and uses resistors to set the gain you can vary that gain by changing resistors.

Offline lordbelial

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Barcelona got tapers!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:05:18 PM »
Any suggestion?
In general: if it uses opamps and uses resistors to set the gain you can vary that gain by changing resistors.

AD-20 Zefiro Inbox.

I should have to reopen the AD.20 and check if the resistors ara "normal" resistors or SMD...
Actual Gear:

stealth  - AT943 (c,o,sc,h) > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Ultrastealth  - DPA 4061 > ST-9100 > Edirol R09HR/I-River IHP-116(CFMod)
Open - BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Segue Dogstars > Marantz PMD671 busman t-mod

Playback: PC > M-Audio Fast Track Pro > KRK RP6 actives

My shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/tapemaniac
Member of  Busman Audio team

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:14:39 PM »
Any suggestion?

AD-20 Zefiro Inbox.

I should have to reopen the AD.20 and check if the resistors ara "normal" resistors or SMD...

Definately not surface mount. That box has been around for quite a while.
Maybe while you are in there swap out the crappy op-amp with something a little better sounding and call it the lordbelial mod!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »
Any suggestion?

AD-20 Zefiro Inbox.

Maybe while you are in there swap out the crappy op-amp with something a little better sounding and call it the lordbelial mod!

Actually the opamp in there is fine.  It is cheap, but fine, since it is after the discrete transistor stage, where the gain is being achieved.

What needs work is the transistor front end.  And that is a lot of work, unfortunately.  And I don't know how to design with discrete stuff.

Hmm.  If I was really going to modify that thing I would replace the  transistor front end *plus* the opamp, with something good like an AD8620.  But that is a lot of work too.

As far as reducing gain, it *might* be possible to just reduce gain at the opamp.  But I have not tried this.

Have fun!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:37:51 PM »
Any suggestion?

AD-20 Zefiro Inbox.

Actually the opamp in there is fine.  It is cheap, but fine, since it is after the discrete transistor stage, where the gain is being achieved.

What needs work is the transistor front end.  And that is a lot of work, unfortunately.  And I don't know how to design with discrete stuff.

Hmm.  If I was really going to modify that thing I would replace the  transistor front end *plus* the opamp, with something good like an AD8620.  But that is a lot of work too.

As far as reducing gain, it *might* be possible to just reduce gain at the opamp.  But I have not tried this.

Have fun!

Richard

Is there 1 pot or 2 in the AD-20? It may be easier to swap out the volume controls with smaller values to reduce the gain then.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com