Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick P2 question  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
quick P2 question
« on: October 24, 2007, 11:05:22 AM »
what are the meter decay rate and meter peak decay??  I haven't messed with those & both are set to medium decay.  the manual doesn't tell what they are.  I googled peak decay and one link said it should be set to hold but didn't tell what it was for.  anyone???
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: quick P2 question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
what are the meter decay rate and meter peak decay??  I haven't messed with those & both are set to medium decay.  the manual doesn't tell what they are.  I googled peak decay and one link said it should be set to hold but didn't tell what it was for.  anyone???
i always assumed it was the rate at which the meters moved up and down. ??? i set mine to fast(i think). if your meters respond at a rate at which you are pleased with don't change it. if you have been thinking that they move kinda slow change it. :D
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:40 AM »
Doesn't control how fast the meters move up and down, but rather how long the meter lights stay on once lit.  Slower decay = stay lit longer.  Faster decay = stay lit shorter.  I always preferred a slow-ish decay on the peak so if there's a particularly loud peak while recording, and I don't look down fast enough to see the levels as they spike, the peak level holds briefly so I still have a chance to see it.

Change the settings and see for yourself which you prefer.  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »
thanks
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »
Doesn't control how fast the meters move up and down, but rather how long the meter lights stay on once lit.  Slower decay = stay lit longer.  Faster decay = stay lit shorter.  I always preferred a slow-ish decay on the peak so if there's a particularly loud peak while recording, and I don't look down fast enough to see the levels as they spike, the peak level holds briefly so I still have a chance to see it.

Change the settings and see for yourself which you prefer.  :)
thanks Brian
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »
just too add...

the meter rate delay deals with all of the bars in the meter, except for the peak one; the peak light is the bar at the very (right) end of the deal. so if you set your peaks to solid/"hold" (no decay), but let your meter rate decay at a "medium" (normal) rate, then the meters will flicker and be pretty responsive, but your peaks will hold as little rectangles, so you can always see where you are... this way, you can check, and if yer peak light is at limit, you need to back off on the levels a touch, if it hits 'em again, then you need to back off again - in my case, when recording @ 24/96, i dont like to see anything over -6db. ever. so if i check and see that -6db has been reached, i know to back off levels a bit. doesnt matter when it happens, i just need to know it happens, so the peak hold works for me...

+t
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 12:16:54 AM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com