Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are active cables and why do so many people use them?  (Read 29179 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: What are active cables and why do so many people use them?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
I have no evidence or examples or comps or anything scientific to prove anything...  but as great as PFA'a are, I don't/can't believe that they equivalent to mike bodies/amplifiers.IMO.

Respectfully, I don't think you get to have it both ways. If you think one piece of gear sounds better than another, you must think that on the basis of some evidence.  :banging head:

I can think of loads of reasons that one might prefer the mic body to a PFA even if their sound is identical. Durability and ease of interfacing with studio gear come immediately to mind. The sexy nextel grey is another. We've already noted the ability to drive much longer cable runs.

But in terms of sonics? The only way to answer this question is with a double blind test. I’m skeptical that anyone would be able to identify a difference let alone a preference. But I’m willing to be convinced by evidence.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:55:22 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
I don't know the innards of the PFA circuit topology, but if the circuits are identical and the components are made to the same spec/tolerance, there should be no discernable difference. Electrons are electrons, and filters are filters; short of heat causing component drift, I don't see why they will sound any different.

Re: longer cable runs and reduced noise... that could be a function of running balanced vs. unbalanced. I thought the 5-pin binder KCY was balanced, but I can't say that I know whether or not the KCY/PFA implementation is fully balanced; if it were, then there should be no discernable difference on that front.

For what it's worth, I have zero issues running my KCYs and don't see a need or desire to run full bodies. If there is a significant difference, I'll take the convenience of active cables any day of the week, it's not like they don't make absolutely phenomenal tapes. I hear very little-to-no noise running my KCYs + PFA into my sound devices converters/preamps.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
KCY cables aren't balanced!

I don't know the innards of the PFA circuit topology, but if the circuits are identical and the components are made to the same spec/tolerance, there should be no discernable difference. Electrons are electrons, and filters are filters; short of heat causing component drift, I don't see why they will sound any different.

Re: longer cable runs and reduced noise... that could be a function of running balanced vs. unbalanced. I thought the 5-pin binder KCY was balanced, but I can't say that I know whether or not the KCY/PFA implementation is fully balanced; if it were, then there should be no discernable difference on that front.

For what it's worth, I have zero issues running my KCYs and don't see a need or desire to run full bodies. If there is a significant difference, I'll take the convenience of active cables any day of the week, it's not like they don't make absolutely phenomenal tapes. I hear very little-to-no noise running my KCYs + PFA into my sound devices converters/preamps.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
KCY cables aren't balanced!

This is good to know, thanks! That does change things a little bit, though not in the way many are probably thinking it will.

The major benefit of running the full-bodied capsules, then, is in running balanced outputs. For the better, this allows for better noise rejection in noisy setups (though if you're running a battery-powered unit and have noise issues with unbalanced and any cable run less than 75 feet, there are bigger problems in your setup that should be addressed first). For the worse, balanced outs require additional circuitry at the output stage of the mic and the input stage of a mic pre. This additional circuitry usually means less linearity in the overall signal chain. So preferring balanced outs/bodies discredits the theory that signals should remain as pure as possible between the microphone and playback.

I can understand that there's a difference in sound between the two; as to whether or not the difference is significant or even noticeable, and if it's possible to identify why - I can't really say.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
Is there any difference in sound when using actives? I used to have KC5's for my Schoeps but got rid of them since they were more of a hassle when doing hundreds of shows a year (recording on stage). I honestly don't remember if I ever did a comparison to see if there was any difference,

I also noticed that the AKG 460's sounded better than the actives. Fuller sound. I ran a bunch of tests with obaaron using both of our mics.

Schoeps states that there is no sonic difference. However, some tapers claim to hear one.

I would think that the full-bodied mic would have a better sound.
I can only speak from the experience ive had with the akg naiant actives, but to my ear, theres a slight less “balls” on the lower end with the actives than the full body 460/480’s. Im guessing this isnt quite the case with shoeps actives or neumanns. The convenience factor is substantial though.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
Is there any difference in sound when using actives? I used to have KC5's for my Schoeps but got rid of them since they were more of a hassle when doing hundreds of shows a year (recording on stage). I honestly don't remember if I ever did a comparison to see if there was any difference,

Schoeps states that there is no sonic difference. However, some tapers claim to hear one.

I would think that the full-bodied mic would have a better sound.
I can only speak from the experience ive had with the akg naiant actives, but to my ear, theres a slight less “balls” on the lower end with the actives than the full body 460/480’s. Im guessing this isnt quite the case with shoeps actives or neumanns. The convenience factor is substantial though.

And even if if there is a sound difference, it could be attributable to the Naiant amplifier/power supply, not the active cable.

I'm with Noah, unless someone does real sound tests everything is just speculation.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2018, 06:33:05 PM »
I’m traveling but will post the samples when I get back. There’s a clear difference with the AKG’s
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline bobwiely

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • BITCH please...
    • SoundTribe.Org
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
The Epic AKG Active...started in 2006
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,59577.0.html

I'm showing my ts.com age here but JK Labs made them before Nick did.  Not many but they worked.  There may even still be a set in the hands of someone here.

You are correct sir. I have had Dan Schar’s Jon Kajol Labs DVC (#6) for a decade or so, lol.
I have actives for both akg ck (61) and schoeps mk (4 & 41) caps.
[Mic pairs:]
AKG:    C414 B-ULS’s, CK61,
Nakamichi:    CM100, CP1, CP2, CP4
Sonic Studios:   DSM 6
Schoeps:    Bodies: CMC6 (x2pr), Caps: MK2g, MK21, MK4 (x2pr), MK41, & a single MK8

[Pre’s Active’s & A/D’s:]
Carbonetta:   NBOX Platinum [kcy](x2)
Grace:   Lunatec V3(6v)
JK Labs:   DVC (#6 w/actives for ck & mk caps)
Schoeps:   KC5 (x2), KCY 250/5, KCY 250/0, & KS 5 I
Sonosax:   SXM2 (x2)

[Deck’s:]
Sony:  Oade ACM M10
Sound Devices:   722, 744t
Tascam:   DR680 MKII, Oade ACM HDP2, PR10

~JustB

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 05:26:21 PM »
The Epic AKG Active...started in 2006
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,59577.0.html

I'm showing my ts.com age here but JK Labs made them before Nick did.  Not many but they worked.  There may even still be a set in the hands of someone here.

You are correct sir. I have had Dan Schar’s Jon Kajol Labs DVC (#6) for a decade or so, lol.
I have actives for both akg ck (61) and schoeps mk (4 & 41) caps.
Cool! I borrowed that JKLabs rig a few times from Dan when he was at UCLA, back around 2000.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline bobwiely

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • BITCH please...
    • SoundTribe.Org
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2019, 03:51:35 AM »
MMW
6-20-98      ALL   AKG ck-61>DVC>SBM-1>D100   stage
Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos
6-20-98      ALL    AKG ck-61>DVC>SBM-1>d100   Stage[/i]

I was there for these :) We ran the 414s upstairs.
[Mic pairs:]
AKG:    C414 B-ULS’s, CK61,
Nakamichi:    CM100, CP1, CP2, CP4
Sonic Studios:   DSM 6
Schoeps:    Bodies: CMC6 (x2pr), Caps: MK2g, MK21, MK4 (x2pr), MK41, & a single MK8

[Pre’s Active’s & A/D’s:]
Carbonetta:   NBOX Platinum [kcy](x2)
Grace:   Lunatec V3(6v)
JK Labs:   DVC (#6 w/actives for ck & mk caps)
Schoeps:   KC5 (x2), KCY 250/5, KCY 250/0, & KS 5 I
Sonosax:   SXM2 (x2)

[Deck’s:]
Sony:  Oade ACM M10
Sound Devices:   722, 744t
Tascam:   DR680 MKII, Oade ACM HDP2, PR10

~JustB

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 10:30:04 AM »
I meant one box that could connect to the cables and either allow for phantom power or provide battery power.

Tha Naiant IPA (Not PFA) can be powered via internal 12v battery, external battery, or phantom power...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2019, 06:57:48 AM »
Active cables - any cable that has active components (components that need power to be provided to operate) as part of the cable, connectors, etc.
Passive cables - any cable that does not have active components as part of the cable, connector, etc

Active components could include Transistors (i.e. FETs), opamps, vacuum tubes, etc

Examples of active cables for microphones: - Schoeps KC5, KCY, nBob's, DPA d:dictate series, New Neumann KM A/D series LC4 cable

Examples of non-active extension cables for microphones: Neuman KM100 series cables, MBHO 603 cables, Schoeps vintage CMMT cables,  Sennhieser MKH 8000 series extension cables

so were the neumann km100 series "actives" as ive always seen them called more subject to noise than say a true active solution?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 08:35:59 AM »
^^^

I think technically but I ran them for 12 years and never once had any noise or cell phone interference.  my set was made prior to 2007 but no idea how long before.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com