Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158837 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
I have a hard time believing that the MPS boxes, MMA6000 or phantom adapters don't provide sufficient voltage for the 4060 series. They have all been on the market for ages and used in almost every conceivable situation. If the d:vice provides similar power, I would guess that voltage to the caps is not the issue (at least for the 4061s). I do recall reading somewhere that the MMP cables reduce the maximum SPL, though.

ive never read that. the limited specs they provide suggest lower S/N but do not mention that max SPL is limited, so logically you would think it would mean similar max SPL and slightly higher noise floor.

one thing it does clearly state is that "Power supply (for full performance) 5V, 1 mA". I havent measured current, but every single DPA solution puts out 2.4-2.7V under load.

406x series also wants 5V minimum and both bruce myers and len have said these should be powered closer to 9V for "best performance" (highest SPL presumably)

again if there was ANY tech support at DPA we could answer this
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »
Years ago I came across a little DPA-published table online indicating noise floor and max SPL for 4060 and 4061 through DAD6001 at various reduced phantom supply voltages.   I think I linked it here at TS somewhere. I've searched for it a couple times over the past couple years, locally on my HDD, here at TS and more broadly online, yet am unable to find it.  Granted, it indicated phantom supply voltages, but some sleuthing with a DAD6001, a switchable 48/24/12V phantom supply and voltmeter would allow one to correlate actual measured supply voltage out of the DAD6001 with the noise and max SPL values from that table.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2019, 07:55:07 PM »
ive seen wildly different phantom voltages under load. i think my dr100mkiii dipped to the low 30s
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2019, 08:26:06 PM »
Years ago I came across a little DPA-published table online indicating noise floor and max SPL for 4060 and 4061 through DAD6001 at various reduced phantom supply voltages. 

this?

source: https://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/2531-DPA_D_VOTE_4099_B_CORE_UPRIGHT_BASS_MICROPHONE_AND_ACCESSORIES.html

note that output voltage changes

could we test some of these mics wth the fixed test tone generator based on output level?

i.e if output level is not increasing when increasing input voltage, we are gaining nothing?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:29:03 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »
Very much like that, yet for 4060 and 4061 (I vaguely remember it going the other way, from low to high voltage left to right).

Your proposed test scenario makes sense to me at first blush.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2019, 09:52:36 PM »
i feel like i need to get some alligator clips out and measure capsule voltage with C bodies vs E bodies vs G bodies

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #411 on: August 17, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
people who have used the d:vice with android, which recording app did you use?

there is no metarecorder for android, and reviews indicate that voice record pro is buggy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.bejbej.voicerecordpro&hl=en_US

i wanted to experiment with this little guy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-4G-LTE-Smallest-Smartphone-K-TOUCH-I9Android8-1-3GB-32GB-Face-ID-Wifi/312701535499?

Offline lerond

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #412 on: August 17, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
I've used eXtream Software Development's USB Audio Recorder Pro <https://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/products/usb-audio-recorder-pro>, previously recommended somewhere here on Taperssection.

Seems to work OK, though it's not user-idiot proof.
Level-setting is a little touchy (easy to over/under shoot when making corrections)
Levels on the app seem to display more conservatively than what gets recorded (ie., I've ended up with minor unexpected clipping)
ain't no party like a katydid party
jumpin' and a hoppin' and singin' them songs!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #413 on: August 19, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
i wanted to experiment with this little guy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mini-4G-LTE-Smallest-Smartphone-K-TOUCH-I9Android8-1-3GB-32GB-Face-ID-Wifi/312701535499?

Tiny is.  Still..  I continue bemusing ways to do 6 channels, and even using tiny phones sync'd with metarecorder-like-functionality the solution would seem unwieldy, fidgety and prone to problems.  I'm not yet motivated to move from my current 4 channel solution using 4-channel CA-UGLY>DR2d, and am back to wishing for a solution using a small battery-powered USB hub which would provide sufficient USB current for all three d:vices and aggregate them into a single phone and recording app.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #414 on: August 19, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
im trying out this will let you know

https://www.timecodesystems.com/products-home/ultrasyncblue/

it can sync metarecorder + some zoom models + some cameras or iphone camera apps

would be cool for multiple channel audio or stereo audio + multi cam video

maybe sound devices is listening, this company makes it seem like its easy to implement bluetooth timecode in firmware

manual:
https://support.timecodesystems.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000937491-UltraSync-Blue

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:16:46 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #415 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:17 PM »
alternatively d:vice works as a native usb audio app, why dont you build a raspberry pi and run multiple units that way? assuming they would use same clock...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #416 on: August 20, 2019, 01:21:15 AM »
for what its worth i like this Sandisk ixpand flash drive a lot, i have a 128gb

backup your recordings idirectly from metarecorder in the field in a few minutes, easy transfer to any computer later without special software. also autobackup of photos and contacts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CIEBS74/ref=twister_B01CQDVL9C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #417 on: August 20, 2019, 09:01:03 AM »
alternatively d:vice works as a native usb audio app, why dont you build a raspberry pi and run multiple units that way? assuming they would use same clock...

Might be the best route.  Especially if the raspberry pi can be fitted into a phone-looking case.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #418 on: August 29, 2019, 12:45:26 AM »
Always good to see Jeffyfreak's samples and comps posted.  I've not listened yet, but since the primary question is if the distortion was from the PA or the DPA gear, I'm thinking out loud about ways to help determine that..

stack taped um with the 4018/4011s>MMP-GS-d:vice
this night was pretty loud, i dont hear a ton of audible distortion (only have section tapes to comp)

tinyurl.com/um2019-08-23

im thinking my AURORA recordings with distortion might be an overly enthusiastic FOH engineer

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #419 on: August 29, 2019, 01:30:07 AM »
would be cool for multiple channel audio or stereo audio + multi cam video
maybe sound devices is listening, this company makes it seem like its easy to implement bluetooth timecode in firmware
Incredibly cool notion but I'm afraid Bluetooth is not accurate enough to guarantee sync. Neither is WiFi for that matter. (Due to the fact that it's a collision domain)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com