Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 71152 times)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »
Thanks @justme and @emery.

I’m having a hard time locating the 64GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 up here in Canada. Might have to order them and a bag from our friends at B&H. I’ve been leaning towards the SanDisk simply because it’s an approved drive. I don’t like taking chances. :)

I was going between the v1 and v2 myself. Had a hard time justifying the v1 based on what I paid for the v2. The issue for me, again, is being north of the border. Anything over $50 gets hit with 13% sales tax and then duties depending on country of origin plus a handling fee. The v1 at US$525 in the Yard, if the Seller was willing to ship to Canada, would've likely cost another US$25.  After all was said an done, I was able to pick up a v2 in Canada for US$80-100 more than what I would've paid for that v1 all in so it was a no brainer. Still not cheap but pretty much the last recorder I need to land on for what we do.

I've been reading the manual already to get a better understanding of how it all comes together as there is a learning curve.

I'll check out the other thread as well.

Any suggestions for bags? Right now, I've got an AmazonBasics camera bag that I use for cables, mounts, windscreens, mics and then whatever bag I end up with. Would love to have one bag butt know that's more wishful thinking than anything.

Thanks again everyone.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2021, 04:01:38 PM »
Any suggestions for bags? Right now, I've got an AmazonBasics camera bag that I use for cables, mounts, windscreens, mics and then whatever bag I end up with. Would love to have one bag butt know that's more wishful thinking than anything.

Depends on what you need to carry. I often carry two or four full sized mics, small pelican cases for actives, 4-5 rycote shockmounts, etc, but if you were running only actives, you could easily get away with a small bag like the amazon basics. I have one and it works well.

For open situations, I normally use a large Petrol bag (made by Sachtler now, I believe) that I bought secondhand on ebay for $70. Here's the exact model:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115077-REG/sachtler_sn602_eargonizer_audio_bag_large.html
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2021, 05:19:34 PM »
Thanks @justme and @emery.

I’m having a hard time locating the 64GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 up here in Canada. Might have to order them and a bag from our friends at B&H. I’ve been leaning towards the SanDisk simply because it’s an approved drive. I don’t like taking chances. :)

I was going between the v1 and v2 myself. Had a hard time justifying the v1 based on what I paid for the v2. The issue for me, again, is being north of the border. Anything over $50 gets hit with 13% sales tax and then duties depending on country of origin plus a handling fee. The v1 at US$525 in the Yard, if the Seller was willing to ship to Canada, would've likely cost another US$25.  After all was said an done, I was able to pick up a v2 in Canada for US$80-100 more than what I would've paid for that v1 all in so it was a no brainer. Still not cheap but pretty much the last recorder I need to land on for what we do.

I've been reading the manual already to get a better understanding of how it all comes together as there is a learning curve.

I'll check out the other thread as well.

Thanks again everyone.

You got a Mixpre 6 II for $625??  If so that is a great deal. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:53:56 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »
You got a Mixpre 5 II for $625??  If so that is a great deal.

Not a chance. :)

What I was getting at is the extra 15-20% tax and duties we get to pay if bringing it from the States.  I was saying the price I paid here versus three one in the yard ends up being about US$80-100 more after shipping costs and friends and family.  I paid around US$750  shipped for one in mint condition that was used inside a handful of times.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2021, 06:00:25 AM »

Just messing around with the menus and thinking how I don't really use inputs 5-6 much and what are these new options for the "BUTTON" in the system menu?

STEREO OUTPUT MUTE looks appealing. Gonna try that for a while.
Punch the * button and the mini out (which feeds my home stereo) mutes more or less instantly, and a message appears on the screen STEREO OUTPUT MUTED.
While it remains on screen for a few seconds, a second press of the * button has no effect but once the message disappears, pressing * fades audio back up on the stereo mini out.

I'm at  Version 1.53 and going to try to go straight to 7.13
should work fine, it will prompt you to do it twice.

yep, worked just as expected.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »
Joining the gang. Just picked up a MixPre-6 II.

Any suggestions for a good low profile usb drive for secondary recording?.

I find playing with the deck and trying settings makes it easier to really understand its DNA. It looks tough at first but becomes easy.

I really like using a USB extender like this: https://smile.amazon.com/SaiTech-Pack-15cm-Adjustable-Extension/dp/B01GA1GKYW/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=short+usb+extender+cable&qid=1624200689&sr=8-4

I am not currently in the same city as my deck so I cannot tell you this is the exact one, but they are easy and eliminate any wear and tear on the USB port as you never actually use it once one of these are in the deck. I also do that in my car where 2 USB ports are in the console and hard to reach while moving. (or stopped for that matter). I use the little plastic samsung mentioned above, but only because it was inexpensive. Anything really works as it is just copying, I cannot tell you if one is faster than another, I find it'll copy fine during a set break for set 1 and I keep the deck powered during breakdown after the 2nd set if that is the format of the show, and then listen in my car riding home. It's nice and easy.

Enjoy your deck!!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline justme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »

Is this the SD approved Sandisk drive?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDXBTL1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Yes. Those works great.
You insert it, I case it’s not formatted the recorder asks and then formats it.
And when it’s done it write the backup onto it.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2021, 12:18:30 PM »
in general how long does it take to write a set or say 2 hour show to usb?
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2021, 01:00:43 PM »
I have a quick question based on some things that I have seen here recently.  (I haven't bothered coming in to read since I haven't recorded for a year)

MixPre 6 v1 wont record to USB flash drive but the MixPre 6 v2 will now?

Please correct me if this is inaccurate. 
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »

Is this the SD approved Sandisk drive?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDXBTL1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Yes. Those works great.
You insert it, I case it’s not formatted the recorder asks and then formats it.
And when it’s done it write the backup onto it.

Thank you for the confirmation!

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2021, 01:26:15 PM »
MixPre 6 v1 wont record to USB flash drive but the MixPre 6 v2 will now?

Please correct me if this is inaccurate.

That’s correct.
The first version of MixPre-6 lacks the hardware to write to USB memory.
The MixPre-6 II can do it.

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »
I ran my MixPre 6 v1 last Friday night (Goose), the other taper assisted w/ some questions I did not understand after reading the instruction manual a couple of times......key take away the gain is not controlled by the volume knobs, if you lights are flashing red, your are too hot (w/ gain) & turn the gain knob down.

Looking forward to Billy Strings this Friday PM.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2021, 01:49:23 PM »
key take away the gain is not controlled by the volume knobs

set everything to custom mode except gain to basic.  that allows the front knobs to control gain.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2021, 08:20:39 PM »

Punch the * button and the mini out (which feeds my home stereo) mutes more or less instantly, and a message appears on the screen STEREO OUTPUT MUTED.
While it remains on screen for a few seconds, a second press of the * button has no effect but once the message disappears, pressing * fades audio back up on the stereo mini out.

I'm at  Version 1.53 and going to try to go straight to 7.13
should work fine, it will prompt you to do it twice.

yep, worked just as expected.

I was thinking about setting the * button to "Q". so I can smash it while recording, and during playback on the device I can skip around a 1.5-2 hour set. I haven't found an easier way to skip around a single track while listening on the device.
ps - oh and by the way, I only have 1 ticket and like 5 posts b/c this is a new screen name. My old one was "eclark" but I had someone that was taking tickets from me like everyday and I didn't want to deal with it so I just signed up for a new name.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com