Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 129308 times)

Sebastian and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »
Clean the plug and jack and report back.

Gonna be lazy here and ask the best method for this... just did another show on the A10 the other night and it has a level difference between left and right as well despite sitting DFC at a stellar venue.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2020, 02:56:41 PM »
Go to the drug store and get some 90+ alcohol and some of those little brush-tipped things used to clean between teeth (the ones just big enough to fit in the plug).  Saturate the brush with the alcohol and swab the inside of the socket while making sure that the open end of the socket is facing down to keep excess alcohol from running into the recorder itself. Use a fresh brush, again with alcohol, to swab the outside of the plug that goes into the socket.  Let dry and try. Please report back.  I am planning to buy an A10 but this could be a deal breaker for me. 

Offline vantheman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
Slightly off topic perhaps, but I want to use my A10 to do vinyl rips too. Having control of the levels on a line in is new to me. Does anyone know what level I would want to do a flat transfer? I want to do minimal to no work in post, and I’d be using the preamp out from my receiver.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:15:26 PM by vantheman »
AT U853A (SP-CMC-4U) > SP-SPSB-10 12V > Sony A10
Line Audio CM4/OM1> Sound Devices MixPre6ii or Tascam DR100 mkiii

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2020, 11:23:30 PM »
depends on he gain of your receiver. most records should be similar in max level so set your level to whatever it requires to get to -6 to 0 dB, should be the same for other records.

with only about 60dB to work with i dont see records being more than a few dB different in their highest level
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2020, 01:41:26 AM »
Cool, sounds like good common sense advice. Thanks!

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »
Go to the drug store and get some 90+ alcohol and some of those little brush-tipped things used to clean between teeth (the ones just big enough to fit in the plug).  Saturate the brush with the alcohol and swab the inside of the socket while making sure that the open end of the socket is facing down to keep excess alcohol from running into the recorder itself. Use a fresh brush, again with alcohol, to swab the outside of the plug that goes into the socket.  Let dry and try. Please report back.  I am planning to buy an A10 but this could be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks!  I did a clean on the input jack earlier today before leaving for work.  Will check tomorrow morning to see if it helped.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline Records

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
they are similar : http://www.avisoft.com/recorder-tests/

all those handhelds operate in a similar range, 70-115 dB dynamic range depending on gain. average around 90 95 dB in normal use (16 bit = 96 dB of dynamic range. 24bit =144 dB of dynamic range). so there is a slight advantage of using 24-bit, which can be close to negligible with levels peaking anywhere close to correctly (say above -20dB)

When I was comparing the A10 with my M10 and the same Rode Lavalier attached to both, the A10 seemed to actually be a couple dB cleaner on noise. The avisoft link says it should be the other way around though?

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
Checked this morning and it seemed closer with the mics I used Saturday night; need to get my baby nBox to confirm.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2020, 12:36:54 PM »
Other than ebay, the best pricing on this seems to be $229? Not all that interested in buying off ebay.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2020, 05:08:11 PM »
Has anyone experienced channel imbalance issues with their A10? At first I thought it might be that my mics weren't properly matched, but I've done a bunch of vinyl rips over the past few days, and the left channel is consistently 2-3db less than the right.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2020, 05:50:05 PM »
silly question, but have you tried swapping the RCAs on the input side to positively narrow it down to the A10?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
silly question, but have you tried swapping the RCAs on the input side to positively narrow it down to the A10?

Nope! That would be too obvious haha. I'll try that and report back.

Offline vantheman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2020, 07:30:05 PM »

I swapped the RCAs, and the left side is still 2-3db launder than the right.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2020, 07:42:22 PM »
Are you using a 1/8" TRS to stereo RCA adaptoid for the input?

I would try cleaning the jack and plugs. Then try another set of clean plugs. If you get the same behavior, then it's most likely the unit itself.

Online morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
Quick question: Have any other PCM-A10 owners experienced the recorder's Right channel failing?  A friend and I were early adopters of the A10 - I assume we both got the first batch delivered from Japan.  About 4 months ago, my Right channel (Input jack only) began to fail.  First, the right channel gain was slightly lower than the Left, a few days later, much lower, and eventually completely dead.  Both channels worked fine through the internal mics - the problem is limited to the input jack. 
Just wondering if this is a common with the A10?  Anyone else have this happen?
I just realized that I NEVER even tried the line input on this thing.
My right channel is distinctly lower using multiple cables and a source which my M10 meters as having even levels!!!!!!

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com