Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Continuing KM184 discussion  (Read 14382 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Continuing KM184 discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
Re-read my original post - that is exactly what this is about.   That, and he said I was posting BS and implied I did not know what I was talking about.  That was insulting. When called on it, he had an opportunity...  Instead he chose to duck the issue.components that cost only a couple dollars.  I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.  Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

Like tonedeaf stated, the point is that the monetary worth or value of a company's product is not simply the sum of the component parts' cost.  DSatz's point seemed to me pretty clear, in that Schoeps developed this technology and patented it, and therefore the cost you're paying for is not just the cost of the several component parts but also involves the cost of R&D, their innovation and patented design, and so forth.  It's analogous to complaining that Apple products are priced too far above what it costs to manufacture.

On the other hand, their $18 foam B5 windscreens and $12 plastic capsule vials are harder to justify.  ;)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Like tonedeaf stated, the point is that the monetary worth or value of a company's product is not simply the sum of the component parts' cost.  DSatz's point seemed to me pretty clear, in that Schoeps developed this technology and patented it, and therefore the cost you're paying for is not just the cost of the several component parts but also involves the cost of R&D, their innovation and patented design, and so forth.  It's analogous to complaining that Apple products are priced too far above what it costs to manufacture.

Is that what "active circuit components" means to you?

It was specifically about how much it would cost to include the active driver electronics components in the capsule (so a passive extensive cable could be used).

"It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars. "

"Freelunch, the active circuit components in a Schoeps active (cable, gooseneck, extension tube) are by no means cheap.  ...   Rather than spell out chapter and verse, I would suggest that you check out what you have been led to believe, and ask the person where they got their so-called information. Nearly every material statement in your message is just not factual to begin with."

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 05:06:39 PM »
Dear Freelunch,

If you don't mind, I'd like to see that list of components.  I know (roughly) what needs to be inside the "active" end, but I'm always interested to learn more.

BTW, I've got an old, 1970's era Beyerdynamic active set that has an active head with switchable caps.  I believe it is numbered: CV750 or something.  Maybe they infringed on the patent?  Or maybe licensed.  Either way, it is *very* close the the Scheops design.  I haven't bothered to trace the schematic, but it is somewhere in the "10 items or less" ballpark.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Freelunch, you want it--you got it. Here are your statements one by one:

[1] It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars.

The critical, and somewhat expensive, part is the selected, low-noise FET and the bias resistors that are hand-matched to it. The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

If you had seriously wanted to talk about why Schoeps' stuff costs as much as it does, we could have talked about that. But I am very put off when I see people making deprecatory, non-fact-based assertions as if they actually knew why things are the way they are. It doesn't exactly make me want to clean up their poo-poo for them; sometimes I just let them sit in it and wallow.

[2] I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.

... and if so, you assume incorrectly, because Neumann is an honorable organization and they respected Schoeps' patent rights scrupulously, at considerable expense to themselves.

Note that after modularizing their active electronics (the little "barrel" behind every KM 100-series capsule is absolutely identical), Neumann took the unusual decision not to make that a field-replaceable part, even at their own repair stations. As things stand, you cannot get either the "barrel" or the capsule per se as repair/replacement parts from Neumann. So even the economy that they could have realized from their modular approach is not being realized, and I must admit that I'm surprised, and don't know for sure why they made that choice.

[3] Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

Tell that to Neumann. It's actually several hundred dollars per capsule.

The most recent Neumann USA price list that I have shows the AK 40 (standard cardioid) active capsule at $1238--and that's with no output stage. A complete KM 184 microphone, on the other hand, which contains precisely the same capsule (but not the little "barrel" of active electronics needed for driving an extension cable or gooseneck) lists for $1158, including output stage. Do the math; why does the complete microphone cost less than the active capsule?

[4] In terms of audio quality, I never run actives (Schoeps) unless it is required.

OK, no quarrel there; you're more conservative than I am, since sometimes I use active cables or extension tubes just to achieve a certain neatness or convenience in the setup when it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to use them. For example, if I record with a pair of MK 21 or MK 22 capsules, I generally use a custom stereo bar and a pair of Colette cables even though I could achieve the same angle and distance between capsules without the active accessories.

I record in Manhattan all the time and have never picked up noise or RFI (that I was aware of) in my Colette cables in many hundreds of recordings. The only times I have ever had audible RFI, no active accessories were being used!

Still, I understand and respect the principle that unbalanced connections should be avoided in favor of balanced connections where possible. That's why Schoeps introduced the CCM series as an alternative to the Colette series. In a very high RF environment that might be the way to go, but I'm very fond of the modular series and so far, it is still working for me, active accessories included.

[5] It adds a buffer, and an unbalanced cable, to the signal path.  No good can come from either.

Hmm. Well, taking you literally, again I wouldn't quarrel with that. But the implication seems to be that you're always better off "on principle" avoiding a buffer stage--as if any audio circuit should be presumed to degrade sound quality unless proven innocent.

I hope I'm not stretching your meaning too far, but if that's your attitude, I think that your purism may be somewhat misplaced. You call the FET and its bias resistors trivial parts when they're not--yet at the same time you avoid them because they're liable to degrade the sound. I think that there is a fair amount of confusion and not very much truth in either of the conflicting extremes that you are somehow occupying simultaneously.

There--I suppose since I've given you exactly what you asked for, you will have nothing more to say now. Am I right?

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:32:34 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
Love going to school with DSatz. 
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
Love going to school with DSatz.

Love getting schooled by DSatz.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline landshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »
...and yet again I'm amazed at the knowledge to which I'm exposed through Tapersection.  Thank you DSatz for another exemplary treatise!  You're a better man than me - the "tone" of my reply (assuming I knew enough to respond) would have been quite a bit different.  Kudos on taking the high road.
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
[1] Thanks for confirming the parts cost less than two dollars.  The fet is about ten cents.

[2,3] It would be interesting to see the Neumann circuit, but I expect the portion that drives the cable is ultimately just a simple buffer. Do you know the number of the now expired patent that covered this?  I did not find it in my searches, and I don't recall seeing a patent number on my KC5.  It's old news, but might be fun reading.

[4,5] It is common sense that introducing an unbalanced cable between the capsule and microphone body, and the components to drive it, should be avoided.  Especially with light dimmers, blackberries, etc, sometimes only a few feet away.  One less fet in the signal path is a small, but good, thing.  Especially for those of us who have experienced high SPL overloading of Schoeps.

Thanks for your response, Dave.

Freelunch, you want it--you got it. Here are your statements one by one:

[1] It should probably be noted that the Schoeps "active" parts (KC5, for example), though exceptionally well engineered, consist of very basic components that cost only a couple dollars.

The critical, and somewhat expensive, part is the selected, low-noise FET and the bias resistors that are hand-matched to it. The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

If you had seriously wanted to talk about why Schoeps' stuff costs as much as it does, we could have talked about that. But I am very put off when I see people making deprecatory, non-fact-based assertions as if they actually knew why things are the way they are. It doesn't exactly make me want to clean up their poo-poo for them; sometimes I just let them sit in it and wallow.

[2] I assume the guts of the Neumann circuit are not much different.

... and if so, you assume incorrectly, because Neumann is an honorable organization and they respected Schoeps' patent rights scrupulously, at considerable expense to themselves.

Note that after modularizing their active electronics (the little "barrel" behind every KM 100-series capsule is absolutely identical), Neumann took the unusual decision not to make that a field-replaceable part, even at their own repair stations. As things stand, you cannot get either the "barrel" or the capsule per se as repair/replacement parts from Neumann. So even the economy that they could have realized from their modular approach is not being realized, and I must admit that I'm surprised, and don't know for sure why they made that choice.

[3] Including them in the capsule design should not necessarily increase the cost much.

Tell that to Neumann. It's actually several hundred dollars per capsule.

The most recent Neumann USA price list that I have shows the AK 40 (standard cardioid) active capsule at $1238--and that's with no output stage. A complete KM 184 microphone, on the other hand, which contains precisely the same capsule (but not the little "barrel" of active electronics needed for driving an extension cable or gooseneck) lists for $1158, including output stage. Do the math; why does the complete microphone cost less than the active capsule?

[4] In terms of audio quality, I never run actives (Schoeps) unless it is required.

OK, no quarrel there; you're more conservative than I am, since sometimes I use active cables or extension tubes just to achieve a certain neatness or convenience in the setup when it wouldn't be absolutely necessary to use them. For example, if I record with a pair of MK 21 or MK 22 capsules, I generally use a custom stereo bar and a pair of Colette cables even though I could achieve the same angle and distance between capsules without the active accessories.

I record in Manhattan all the time and have never picked up noise or RFI (that I was aware of) in my Colette cables in many hundreds of recordings. The only times I have ever had audible RFI, no active accessories were being used!

Still, I understand and respect the principle that unbalanced connections should be avoided in favor of balanced connections where possible. That's why Schoeps introduced the CCM series as an alternative to the Colette series. In a very high RF environment that might be the way to go, but I'm very fond of the modular series and so far, it is still working for me, active accessories included.

[5] It adds a buffer, and an unbalanced cable, to the signal path.  No good can come from either.

Hmm. Well, taking you literally, again I wouldn't quarrel with that. But the implication seems to be that you're always better off "on principle" avoiding a buffer stage--as if any audio circuit should be presumed to degrade sound quality unless proven innocent.

I hope I'm not stretching your meaning too far, but if that's your attitude, I think that your purism may be somewhat misplaced. You call the FET and its bias resistors trivial parts when they're not--yet at the same time you avoid them because they're liable to degrade the sound. I think that there is a fair amount of confusion and not very much truth in either of the conflicting extremes that you are somehow occupying simultaneously.

There--I suppose since I've given you exactly what you asked for, you will have nothing more to say now. Am I right?

--best regards

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
I don't have a dog in the Neumann vs. Schoeps fight - both are utterly out of my budget. Still, it's fascinating to find out what goes on in that realm, and learn a bit of history in the process. Thanks, DSatz! Meanwhile, I'll stick to my (relatively) cheap equipment. ;D

*currently enjoying one of my LS-10 internal mic recordings*
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

[1] Thanks for confirming the parts cost less than two dollars.  The fet is about ten cents.

Perhaps I'm just slow...but I don't see the confirmation you do.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
The U.S. list price of that set of parts selected, tested and mounted in the mechanical adapter is currently $190.

Perhaps I'm just slow...but I don't see the confirmation you do.

Avoiding the question of the circuit component cost by posting the retail price of the completed assembly was confirmation.  Ten cents is the qty 1 price of the fet from Newark Electronics.  The two resistors, ferrite bead and capacitor are also quite "cheap".

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:31 AM »
if all this shit is so "cheap", and we have suck knowledgeable home/tech hackers..., where are all the DIY active cables?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 07:53:27 AM »
No foreseeable agreement on the price issue.  Component parts cost != true cost of the product.  Different animals entirely.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 09:25:32 AM »
Freelunch, once again you've ignored over 90% of what I've written, taken one statement out of context, and twisted it so that you could construe it as confirming your pre-existing opinions and guesswork.

Your logic is actually rather amusing. When I gave the retail price for an assembly that includes the FET, it may not have been directly relevant information--but the fact that I gave that information doesn't logically confirm anything that you might believe. If it did, then any other piece of irrelevant information should have equal logical force--e.g. it should confirm your opinion equally well if I had said that it snowed here this week or that my mother played the piano. But those statements obviously don't help your position--so neither does what I said, except in your remarkable brain.

I posted the $190 price not to be tricky or to conceal anything, but because I wanted to stick with what I know to be factual. Being an editorial consultant and German-to-English translator here in Brooklyn doesn't give me telepathic access to Schoeps' purchasing records over in Germany. And let me just say for the record that I'm not a spokesperson for Schoeps nor an employee of theirs, and that I'm affected by their prices the same way that everyone else is, i.e. there's plenty of stuff that I would eagerly buy, but I have to tell myself "down, boy" because of how much it costs.

--Now, you surely know the following already, but I hope that other people will be interested to learn a little about it: The manufacturer of any semiconductor will generally offer it to customers in several "grades," with the higher grades costing more (sometimes considerably more). This is simply a way to maximize their income, given that quality control is never perfect. In general, the parts sold in the lower grades are the ones which failed to make the selection for the higher, more costly grades, so they are actually worse on average than a random sampling of the production as a whole would be. Nonetheless they're all still marked as "BC 104" for example, since grading generally occurs rather late in the manufacturing process. So if you're outside the company and you have a bunch of parts without the ordering paperwork, you can't tell which selection grade those parts represent unless you measure them all individually and infer on that basis.

With some exceptions (especially among integrated circuits), semiconductor manufacturers don't generally copyright or patent the parts they develop. That actually works out to be in their own self-interest, because there are big customers who are unwilling to buy any part that's available from only one supplier--to do so would leave them dependent on the pricing and delivery schedule of an agency outside their control. So it's a normal, even a desirable, part of a product's life cycle when other manufacturers step in to cash in on the market that was created by the original supplier. Those other suppliers can claim whatever they want about the so-called "equivalence" or the functional ability of their part to be used as a replacement for the original part. Of course their reputation is on the line when they do that, but their reputation may well be for low price as much as it is for quality. It's always up to the buyer to be clear about what they're looking for.

On a whim some time during the 1970s I went to my neighborhood Radio Shack in Boston with a copy of the schematic for my new Schoeps CMC 5--s, and for only a few dollars I bought a blister pack of FETs that Radio Shack said were "equivalent" parts. I happened to mention this to the chief engineer at Schoeps, and on a similar whim, he offered to test the FETs to see how they measured as compared with the ones that Schoeps selected from their own suppliers. We didn't go through with that, but I would be quite surprised if any of the Radio Shack FETs would have come within, say, 5 dB of the required noise levels.

I guess if there's a point in all this, it's that the serious microphone manufacturers buy top-grade parts from manufacturers that they often have decades-long relationships with; parts acquisition is a crucial part of their business. Then they test each part individually, and use only the ones that meet their own standards. That's not meant as an extraordinary claim; to them it's the only way to stay in business. (Incidentally, it is also one of the big differences between the Western European manufacturers and the intensely price-driven manufacture that has been especially typical of China.)

Now, when low-noise FETs were a new thing in the mid-1960s, I think they probably did cost tens of dollars apiece. Prices have fallen considerably in the intervening decades; perhaps Schoeps really is paying less than one Euro per FET at this point. If so, then it should be evident that all the other associated costs (handling, testing/selection, assembly and testing again) swamp the raw parts cost completely, so now they're the issue. Again, either Schoeps and Neumann are foolish to undertake the cost of buying top-grade parts and then further testing and selecting from among them, or they're not--in which case the catalog price of an "equivalent" part of unknown grade from a discount parts source is just not highly relevant information.

The question remains, as Nick's Picks points out--if this stuff is so cheap and easy to make, where's the competition? The U.S. list price for a 5-meter Colette cable is currently $575; where are the $200 Colette cables that are as reliable, as low-noise and low-distortion, as successful at not picking up RFI despite being unbalanced, that stay flexible in cold weather, whose insulation doesn't tear, that don't twist and turn when you suspend capsules from them even when hot theatre lights are shining on the cables, and that are equally well backed up by professional service? The Schoeps patent on active accessories has expired, so as long as you don't try to sell your cables as Schoeps products, they can't touch you legally. You can already buy two different kinds of (almost worse than useless) fake Schoeps shock mounts from China, Inc.; why haven't they (or you) duplicated the Colette cables or extension tubes? Hell, why don't they (or you) sell equivalents to the CMC-- amplifiers for, say, $350 instead of nearly $1000--an even bigger profit opportunity?

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:20:19 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »

It is always a pleasure to hear from you Mr. Satz.  Thanks for your input on this board.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.391 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com