Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava mk-012's recordingservices vs. sound-room  (Read 3021 times)

Offline teajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Oktava mk-012's recordingservices vs. sound-room
« on: February 18, 2004, 12:30:54 PM »
Hey all,

Upon deciding on a pair of Oktava MK-012's, I need to know you're experiences with different dealers.

First there's sound-room, who match the mics and charge one hell of a premium for them, which as i understand is worth it.

But there's also an eBay seller recordingservices   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15198&item=3704745454   for a current auction.
The description sais "hand matched", I wonder if this is a similar process as used by sound-room? If so, it'd be much cheaper to buy these mics and the hyper caps that they also "match" for an extra $150, then to pay the sound-room price.

So let me know you're experiences with either of these dealers and their mics.

Cheers,
Travis

Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re:Oktava mk-012's recordingservices vs. sound-room
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 01:48:58 PM »
I guess if you feel you will never need the omni's, then yea, you can get off and save 200$.  However, if you think you might need the omni's at some point, I would go ahead and get them from the sound-room.  I however, as may be your case, didn't have the extra cash for the sound-room.  My MC012's sound really gr8 to me, and they were only hand matched.  As I do not have a pair from sound-room to compare, I can only tell you how mine are.  Good luck, and I think you will be please either route you choose.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 03:27:17 PM »
I guess if you feel you will never need the omni's, then yea, you can get off and save 200$.  However, if you think you might need the omni's at some point, I would go ahead and get them from the sound-room.  I however, as may be your case, didn't have the extra cash for the sound-room.  My MC012's sound really gr8 to me, and they were only hand matched.  As I do not have a pair from sound-room to compare, I can only tell you how mine are.  Good luck, and I think you will be please either route you choose.

I have the Sound Room matched set and they are well worth the price. I love the omni's & hypers, the cards are OK. For the price & the various options you get, go for it. Bottom line is if you like it ... I know this doesn't answer your question really, but if you get the SR ones, who know they will be right on from a matched perspective as they are tested 3-4 times before sale ...

Heh, funny thing is I am getting a set of active neuman 140's (thanks clayton), which is what I have been dreaming of for awhile and I am sure I will get some hypers & omni's caps for them too at some point. What does this mean ? Beats the hell out of me  ::)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »
i wouldnt pay that much for "hand matched" mics unless i got to see a plot of the matching.  the difference being this- matching usually is done by close serial numbers and then plotting, hand matching tends to be where someone is getting mics that may be many serial numbers apart and checking to see if they sound the same- sometimes plotting them.  The difference is quality control- much more likely to have mics that sound alike if they came from the same run.

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 08:42:16 PM »
oh and since when do mk012's retail for 500 a piece?

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 01:53:34 PM »
from personal experience, go with the sound room.  top-notch quality and customer service second to none.  taylor is a great guy to deal with.

however i've heard good remarks about the ebay dealers as well and if you have to save some bucks go with these guys over anyone else, such as guitar center or the like.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 12:39:37 PM »
I got my bodies and card caps from Recording Services.  The only thing with them is they don't give you a readout, but he has tons of possitive feedback so who knows.  I got a pair of hyper caps that were matched by the Sound Room used from someone on this board.  If you look around you might find a used set from The Sound Room and save a few bucks.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com