Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG goes to china  (Read 14286 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: AKG goes to china
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2006, 02:03:04 PM »
I totally agree with your post Teddy although one big thing.  I really honestly think Schoeps sound bad (unless they are really close to the source). I know I'm not the only one here.   MG's though... I really like.  But like everyone has said before.  It's all in the ears and what you run behind em and what you're recording.

I've been asked a bunch...why do you have TLII's?  Well my answer is I usually am only taping bluegrass, oldtime and acoustic music.  I tested most of the 414's and felt the transformerless suited me better for what I record.  (The new XL's were not out at this point)   And yes I even tested some of the old cap 414's but still prefered the TL's.

It's all in the ears.  I know "I" don't record anything for anyone else's ears and system.  Only for myself.   ;)

I like Gefell and Schoeps for two reasons1.) Sonics 2.) philosophy. Gefell has been making mics the same way, since the 20s, according to the Standards laid out by Georg Neumann.  Schoeps , since the 40s. With both of those companies, EVERY component is made on site, by hand, parts are hand picked and hand tested according to very stringent standards. Neither of those two care about Global Commerce, never compromise to meet a larger consumer base, and place quality and sonic integrity above all. No mass production, but made to order. Yes, this means a higher price to the end user, but IMNSVFHO it is well worth it. Combine the sonics WITH the philosophy and you have a winner, all around. I also like that when you phone one of those two companies, you dont have to be patched into another division in a different country or state. All the employees are in house. AKG is becoming a typicall "big business" model. I dont like that personally, and wont support it. Same thing with SennMan, though I do love the u87, tlm193, and Sennheiser MKH800.

I do love my 426B, and wouldnt trade it for anything, though it is in the shop getting frankensteined at the moment for broader freq. range and better transient response. was about 95% perfect.

but at the end of the day, to me they are just tools, and I buy the tools that do the job for me. I dont identfy with my mics on a personal level,  and certainly dont take offense if someone slags off on them. If it were my Mother, maybe. A piece of steel and wire..(though well crafted!)...never. Dont understand why others take it personally either ,but perhaps that isnt for me to understand nor question.

+T and well said......

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2006, 02:59:30 PM »
just to chime in on this one as I have ran a pair of MXL's and the new perception 100's (will also be running them at waka this year in the tents)

I would put my MXL v63m>self modded UA-5>Jb3 tape up against almost any other audience tape from this same show
here is a small sample

NEM here in KC at the uptown theater back on 7-12-2004 (taped from just LOB, 40' back)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 07:12:10 PM by Momule »
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Charlies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2006, 03:15:03 PM »

oh well, ive got my 426. im content with that.

Understatement of the year.

And the MG210 and AKG480s are totally different. Two different flavors. Both great mics. IMO
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2006, 06:12:06 PM »
just to chime in on this one as I have ran a pair of MXL's and the new perception 100's (will also be running them at waka this year in the tents)

I would put my MXl vm63>self modded UA-5>Jb3 tape up against almost any other audience tape from this same show
here is a small sample

NEM here in KC at the uptown theater back on 7-12-2004 (taped from just LOB, 40' back)

Hey thats a nice sample...question though  what are the vm63's?????? is this a misstype  or an older mic???
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline momule

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2006, 07:05:33 PM »
sorry that should have been MXL V63m

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2006, 08:13:39 PM »
I would put my MXL v63m>self modded UA-5>Jb3 tape up against almost any other audience tape from this same show
here is a small sample

OK who is NEM?

This sounds pretty good, but the mids seem kind of bright to me (actually the whole thing sounds like it was recorded in a very "live" room). Without being there, hard to say how they compare to what was being played.  But, overall this does sound fine. I'd take you up on your offer, but A: I have no idea who NEM is, and B: Kansas City is a long way from Austin.  ;D

Cheers,
Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2006, 08:15:38 PM »
here is a small sample

OK who is NEM?

This sounds pretty good, but the mids seem kind of bright to me (actually the whole thing sounds like it was recorded in a very "live" room). Without being there, hard to say how they compare to what was being played.  But, overall this does sound fine. I'd take you up on your offer, but A: I have no idea who NEM is, and B: Kansas City is a long way from Austin.  ;D

Cheers,
Wayne

New Earth Mud - Chris Robinson's Side Project
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline momule

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2006, 08:51:19 PM »
OK who is NEM?

Cheers,
Wayne

my original point was don’t judge the book by its cover (the MXL's) 
Although this is a $400 rig IMO it can hold its own.

look for some of the Chinese made AKG samples after wakarusa.
I'll try to run them in front of both the Self Modded UA-5 and The T-mod just for comparison.

Offline Charlies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2006, 09:52:22 PM »
Neither of those two care about Global Commerce,

What about the "US Box Sets"? I seem to recall some issues with those. Different stock or sound or something? Something was off with em, all in the name of global commerce....
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com