Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation  (Read 18625 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 08:26:28 PM »
For years the ONLY really quiet, very stable, and really low <3 pounds weight is BEYER model 252 (or maybe 352?).  Haven't purchased one for a long time and the model number seems NOT on the product.

Anyway, this is a 5-section folding tripod made from aircraft aluminum, and goes to 3.5-15' height. Colapses to ~28 inches length and is very quiet to not make sounds when handled.  Fullcompass was my supplier, and should be able to get this model even though nobody I know shows BEYER folding tripod in their catalog for a long time.

I will have to check that out. Any idea on price?

Recall ~$150
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »
For years the ONLY really quiet, very stable, and really low <3 pounds weight is BEYER model 252 (or maybe 352?).  Haven't purchased one for a long time and the model number seems NOT on the product.

Anyway, this is a 5-section folding tripod made from aircraft aluminum, and goes to 3.5-15' height. Colapses to ~28 inches length and is very quiet to not make sounds when handled.  Fullcompass was my supplier, and should be able to get this model even though nobody I know shows BEYER folding tripod in their catalog for a long time.

Recall ~$150

Yikes! Way more than I want to spend on a stand. :(

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 10:52:30 PM »

Recall ~$150

BUT, it's what you want!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 11:53:28 PM »

Check out the rest of the Bogen line to see if any fit your requirements and budget, assuming the 3373 does not.  Alternatively, check eBay for keywords "light" and "stand".  Should find plenty of inexpensive options that might do the trick.  IME, it's tough to find a stand that folds up < 20" and still reaches higher than 7' or so.  I know because I've tried to find one that will fit in the topcase on my motorbike, and mostly failed miserably.  Hence my Bogen 3373 + flexarm / gooseneck solution.  As for handling noise...if you're not bumping into the sucker or have the floor bouncing around beneath you while you record, the handling noise probably won't have an impact.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 01:15:46 AM »

Check out the rest of the Bogen line to see if any fit your requirements and budget, assuming the 3373 does not.  Alternatively, check eBay for keywords "light" and "stand".  Should find plenty of inexpensive options that might do the trick.  IME, it's tough to find a stand that folds up < 20" and still reaches higher than 7' or so.  I know because I've tried to find one that will fit in the topcase on my motorbike, and mostly failed miserably.  Hence my Bogen 3373 + flexarm / gooseneck solution.  As for handling noise...if you're not bumping into the sucker or have the floor bouncing around beneath you while you record, the handling noise probably won't have an impact.

Yep. but I am still hoping that Savage stand is what the spechs say
:)
I am going to call a couple places, otherwise will go see it next week.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 02:04:49 PM »
I just spoke to the company on the phone.

They said it IS 8' high!!
They claimed that it is 4 sections but it has THREE risers(?) one inside each section which is how it gets to 8'

Is this correct/possible?

If so, this is a DEFINITE winner

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:10:31 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
Found it for $24 here and cheaper shipping. Again, not sure what is going on here as the first site says 4 sections, but the other sites say 3 sections on this stand.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.php?pid=1000001493

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 04:39:26 PM »
Found it for $24 here and cheaper shipping. Again, not sure what is going on here as the first site says 4 sections, but the other sites say 3 sections on this stand.

For the money, looks like a excellent value tripod, especially with the 3/8" thread adapter.  I think 10 foot model is the one with 4 sections

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:16 PM »

For the money, looks like a excellent value tripod, especially with the 3/8" thread adapter.  I think 10 foot model is the one with 4 sections

I don't know what to believe.  Adorama lists the 8' as 4 sections, but freestylephoto and the manufacturer say it is 3 sections.  So how can I believe what Adorama said on the phone when their site is totally wrong?  I mean how can you have 4 sections AND 3 risers?
What is a riser anyway?  Aren't all the sections "risers" since they extend out of the the prior tube?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »

1 base + 3 risers = 4 sections ?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »

1 base + 3 risers = 4 sections ?

Hmm, maybe.

I still dont get how it gets to be 8'?  Doesn't make sense

They guy on phone at Adorama said it had 4 sections with 3 risers...??

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »
I had one of those Bogen alumunum stands and it literally fell apart on me over a period of time.  First a piece would fall out, then another piece, then a leg.  Not what I need.  I bought a used 15' AEA stand this year and this thing is solid as a rock.  I feel much more comfortable with one of these than with anything else.  I got mine used for ~$100, but Sonic Sense sells them new as well.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 01:35:56 AM »
I had one of those Bogen alumunum stands and it literally fell apart on me over a period of time.  First a piece would fall out, then another piece, then a leg.  Not what I need.  I bought a used 15' AEA stand this year and this thing is solid as a rock.  I feel much more comfortable with one of these than with anything else.  I got mine used for ~$100, but Sonic Sense sells them new as well.

Good to know thanks. 

Now if someone could tell me their thoughts on the true height of Savage stand? :) I will call another place tomrrow and report back.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 09:14:10 AM »
Now if someone could tell me their thoughts on the true height of Savage stand? :) I will call another place tomrrow and report back.

Can you find out if the manufacture sells them in retail stores?  What about return policy from the online ordering guys?

Seems like it would be woth the risk of the shipping cost to get one and try it out.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »
The 2nd place I called says that the extra 1.5 feet is from the base setup.  1.5 feet from base adjustment?
I gotta see this thing in person but i can't find it locally...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com