Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running Omnis???  (Read 14866 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Running Omnis???
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »
Hey all, I am in a pinch and going to a show soon that is outdoors.  I was planning on running omnis for the first time.  They would not be split...they will be n the same stand.

is this recommended for omnis?

I have heard that running omnis outdoors is ideal...but I am hoping to get some clarification on how to set them up and if a recording from the same stand would be better than just running cards?

Most importantly...can you get a good omnis recording without a baffle if they are on the same stand?

Any help here?

i tried the search bar but didn't find this exact info so i thought i'd ask all of you.

Thanks

Ryan
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 11:13:20 PM by Cheesecadet »
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Running Omnis???
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:32:13 PM »
I've had good luck with pointing them at the stacks with as little as 12" spacing and no baffle. My baffle recordings haven't been as good, but I'm going to keep experimenting, because I know that it's possible to make very good recordings with baffled omnis.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:37:33 PM »
thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of trying the Healy Method - 17cm @ 180* for the first go 'round tomorrow morning.

I'm so used to using Cards that this just seems really odd to me, but I've been wanting to try something new for a while.

We'll see how it goes I guess...  ::)
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:26:09 AM »
I made a split omni rig that fits on one stand with PVC pipe and a single shock mount.
it is in 2 feet sections expandable to 6 ft.  Granted a 6 feet spread on a single stand looks really, really dorky.

here is a pic from earlier this year.  Split subcards for dumpstaphunk

I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:58:20 AM »
^^^^^^
What KLowe said.

I use a telescopic set-top TV antenna to space my lightweight 4060's off one stand in that same scenario and it works a charm.  I find approx. one meter spacing (~39") to be my sweet spot.  But you could make due with less (w/heavy mics).  IMO there's no need to go wider and risk a hole in the middle.  Too wide can make the bass weird to my ear, same goes for too narrow where the high-mids get phasey.. and bass can get sort of flat.  I've never tried more than 6' though.

and I agree with Chuck too, I don't like the baffle unless its up close (like on-stage distance).  Sounds muffled and too closely spaced at a distance to me, less bright and open like a great spaced omni recording. [edit]No offense J-disc'ers, I like a baffle up close.. and often I am the baffle.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:01:47 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:20 AM »

Hey KLowe, Do I see two rigs going here? a M/S center maybe?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 01:32:19 AM »
So how do you think omnis @ 180* Spread about 18" (inches) would sound?

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 02:37:41 AM »
I like a 3 - 4' spacing between my omnis.  Wider than that and I get a hole in the middle.  I usually set up my stand next to another taper's stand and try to clamp one mic off theirs; they usually say yes to that.  I have run at like a 12" spread before when I was the only taper at a show once and it still sounded nice, but did not have the separation of a wider spread.  Positioning is very important in this case; try to get as close to center as you possibly can.  Also, if you have the only stand, pointing the mics at the stacks is a good idea; you may want to try pointing at the outside of the stacks, but because they are omnis, it really doesn't matter all that much.

That PVC pipe in the picture looks like a good idea.  You also may want to contact Wayne off this board; he sometimes runs this Road Warrior like stand for his 4-mic mixes.  Baffle is not a great idea when you are far away, and I doubt it would be of much value anyway.

Good luck!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 04:38:56 AM »
I have not done this alot.... But enjoy my bigger mark bar for split omni recording.  It is solid and the bigger one puts several feet between the omnis.  You do need a beefy stand.  I also put another 'normal' 480 setup in the midde just in case.  Usually both sound good and all 4 sound great mixed together.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »
To my ear omnis sound really "unnatural" if you're not close to the sound source.  Maybe they sound too "natural" that they lose their musicality but without proximity effect going on you just end up with this airy kind of thin feeling sound.  Really if you're far enough out from the source that you can start to hear any sort of ambient noise (cars, chatter, babies crying...) the omnis aren't going to catch all of that too.  Running the mics at 180 isn't going to do anything for omnis besides distancing the capsules since they have a spherical pickup pattern.  If you really wanted to you could point them towards the sun and it wouldn't matter. 

All of this talk about particular distances and measurements blah blah blah, just bring headphones and configure the mics in a way that sounds good to your ears.  Every show is going to have unique acoustics going on so you have to measure with your ears.  Not trying to be sassy it's just how it is. You can have all the formulas you want but you must always abide by the golden rule of recording, turd sound in = turd sound out.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 06:11:01 AM »
To my ear omnis sound really "unnatural" if you're not close to the sound source.  Maybe they sound too "natural" that they lose their musicality but without proximity effect going on you just end up with this airy kind of thin feeling sound.  Really if you're far enough out from the source that you can start to hear any sort of ambient noise (cars, chatter, babies crying...) the omnis aren't going to catch all of that too.  Running the mics at 180 isn't going to do anything for omnis besides distancing the capsules since they have a spherical pickup pattern.  If you really wanted to you could point them towards the sun and it wouldn't matter. 

All of this talk about particular distances and measurements blah blah blah, just bring headphones and configure the mics in a way that sounds good to your ears.  Every show is going to have unique acoustics going on so you have to measure with your ears.  Not trying to be sassy it's just how it is. You can have all the formulas you want but you must always abide by the golden rule of recording, turd sound in = turd sound out.

:coolguy: For the sake of simplicity, it would be great if generalities hold enough truth to be useful in discussions like this, unfortunately in the real world there is little truth in such generalities.

Unless tempered with conditional considerations, generalities tend to give misleading mis-information educating only the indiscriminate majority. 

What IS true is NOT ALL OMNIS sound the same in the same situation for many reasons, and NOT ALL BAFFLES sound the same for many reasons in the same venue position.   

The reasons for this might fill a few volumes or simply be understood with saying the acoustics is different with each make of omni mic and baffle construction. 

Therefore, your results will vary all over the map from 'excellent to piss-poor' depending on which omni and what kind of baffle construction is being used independent of mic position within the venue. 
Now you've heard some real truth about omni's and baffles, but maybe not so useful or what you where hoping to hear. 
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »
Try healy method. I've heard some very cool results with that config!

Offline barrettphisher

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 10:52:02 AM »
I prefer to split them as wide as I possibly can.  At red rocks I like 12 to 15 feet splits.  You can really hear the stereo seperation.  Plus I feel like the omni's help cut down on the wind noise.  Way more of a natural sound to my ears.
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »

yeup.  M/S in the middle.  I  :love: the M/S in the middle with flanked 43's. 
Running four channels is the best move I have made.  I "typically" dial in the M/S really tight mix with the subs.  Usually decrease the subs by -2db in the final mix b/c the tight (on axis) m/s has tons of detail.

Also...another reason I love 4 channels is if I screw up one set of mics then I have the other to salvage the recording..... as what happened at the echo project last weekend.  I Got to learn firsthand about brickwalling!!!  (yeah).  At least I "think" understand it now and have the M/S recording as the saviour.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:38:05 AM by KLowe »
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »
Even 3 mic Omnic-Card-Omni sounds really good in a lot of situations.  I haven't run that in the field but we've been using that in sessions for room sound with really good results.  Omnis are a strange beast...

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »
Split omnis outdoors is my favorite.  Even a 12" split on the same stand isn't bad.  I've only tried the Healy method once (indoors at stage lip) and wasn't happy. 
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 01:16:17 AM »
Welll...ran the omnis today for the first time and the result...drumroll please.....AWESOME!!!  I taped a local San Diego singer/songwriter at a benefit show down in Solana Beach at Fletcher Cove Park.  I ran the mics from one stand like I mentioned in an earlier post.  The mics were split 14" (inches) @ 180*.  8' From stage and 6' High - center.

The recording is almost flawless...there was a brief period (4 Min.) of gusty winds that were really picked up my the mics.  Luckily most of this occurred in between tunes, when he was bringing a guest up to perform with him and getting set up.  I can fix that in post so no big deal....bur overall I am VERY pleased with the omnis and will definitely run them again.

This show was at the beach, so I knew there would be a chance of some harsh wind...I can just imagine what these babies will be like on a calm day...I can't wait for my next opportunity.

Thanks to all who gave me some advice.  ::)

I just wish I would have brought my board because the waves were great too!

Ryan in CA

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 01:47:46 AM »
I really liked using a J-disc w/ my C4's and pointed them at the stacks. Also it was pretty easy to make dead rat skins for my C4's so you might want to check into this and +t for your first omni recording.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 02:36:47 AM »
the wind you hear is the low frequency rumbling, omni's are flat very far down and will shake your walls ;D

they are less prone to actual wind phasing though and are an excellent choice in the wind, just flip on the HPF ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 09:22:53 AM »
the wind you hear is the low frequency rumbling, omni's are flat very far down and will shake your walls ;D

they are less prone to actual wind phasing though and are an excellent choice in the wind, just flip on the HPF ;D

this thread prompted me to go back and listen to some of my SPC4omni>V3>670 recordings from Wakarusa07.
Couple of them turned out great:captured the music and disinterested crowd chatter with fantastic detail.

MMW mainstage barely FOB 7~8 ft high sorta wide NOS 110degrees/36cm  (this one would have been lots better if we had been allowed to run high but we were being allowed to run directly FOB just below line of sight for the mixdesk)
EOTO little tent FOB 11 ft high same config   this one turned out best
the Be Good Tanyas little tent FOB 180degrees/30cm   ruined by bleed from another stage

no wind noise (even in Kansas) with the crappy little SP screens.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »
Even 3 mic Omnic-Card-Omni sounds really good in a lot of situations.  I haven't run that in the field but we've been using that in sessions for room sound with really good results.  Omnis are a strange beast...

Here's my 3-mic example outdoors --- sounds great cranked......also through headphones.

http://www.archive.org/details/nrps2007-09-22.nak303.flac16

:)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »

Here's my 3-mic example outdoors --- sounds great cranked......also through headphones.

Capnhook,
Ahh, the 3 Nak setup.  Curious about this... I assume this is all 3 mics spaced along the same plane?  Do you mix equal amounts of all 3 on the Nak mix box? or reduce the center a bit as is common for a Decca tree mix?  What's up with the card center? ..is card preferred in that position for detail and to be able to reduce the ambient contribution of the flanking omni's?  More a mater of what's on hand? Ever run three omni's? or the center farther out in front?

Evil,
Are you using all 3 mics for ambient room or the cardioid close mic'ed and the two omnis for stereo ambient room?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 10:41:03 PM »
To my ear omnis sound really "unnatural" if you're not close to the sound source.  Maybe they sound too "natural" that they lose their musicality but without proximity effect going on you just end up with this airy kind of thin feeling sound...

I find the spacing for near-spaced omni's to be quite important to the feel and tone of the recording.

When I arrived at my 39" spacing sweet-spot starting point, I did so by listening closely through in-ear monitors while adjusting the spread for the most appealing tonal balance and stereo spread.  The distance effects both, but I consider getting the adjustment right for good tonal balance more critical to my ear than getting a good stereo spread.  I can dial it in pretty close by listening to the pre-show fill music before the show - because it's at a lower level, the bass bleed in though the phones isn't too bad and I can sometimes make a better adjustment for the low end than when trying to hear once the show is at full volume. It's easier to hear the effect on the top end even at volume since the isolation of the phones is more effective in that range.

It seems to me there is plenty of phase interference going between the two mics in these near-spaced scenarios which can either help or hurt the sound, depending on the spacing and the situation.  When the distance is set right the phase interaction provides much of that the sweet airy top along with a nice open and wide low end. I suspect I don't like the baffle (at a distance at least) because it likely reduces much of that positive phase interaction of the high end that I'm listening for.

In any case, I highly recommend adjusting the distance between mics by ear for best results!

...Running the mics at 180 isn't going to do anything for omnis besides distancing the capsules since they have a spherical pickup pattern.  If you really wanted to you could point them towards the sun and it wouldn't matter...

I definitely notice some top end directionality of my omnis. It only effects the sizzle and air above 10khz but it detectably rolls off up there off-axis, and my 4060's are less directional than many other omnis if only because of their small diameter. Try putting some 'phones on and listening to the sibilant sound when rubbing you fingers together directly in front of the mic vs. off to the side or around back.

[edit] oh, forget it, I'll make a new post..
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:00:43 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 10:59:42 PM »
More thoughts..

I've never had a chance to run really wide omnis like the 10'-20' some here have stated preferences for, but I would think the effect that small spacing adjustments have on the tone of the recording described above wouldn't be an issue at those distances.

Spaced omni recordings have plenty of uncorrelated room ambience and reverb, part of why they tend to sound 'open' and 'big'.  As I understand it, non-digital Dolby surround decoding is based on phase differences between the L and R signals.  Some of you stereo purists may cringe, but my spaced omni recordings work really nicely with some subtle surround decoding.  The ambient background really wraps around. The effect is stronger with spacings of over a few feet.

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »
Well, I figured I would post a pic of my first attempt at using my omnis.  These were about 8' from the stacks, center, 6' high, spaced 14" @ 180 degrees.  The recording came out great!  ::)

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »

yeup.  M/S in the middle.  I  :love: the M/S in the middle with flanked 43's. 
Running four channels is the best move I have made.  I "typically" dial in the M/S really tight mix with the subs.  Usually decrease the subs by -2db in the final mix b/c the tight (on axis) m/s has tons of detail.

Also...another reason I love 4 channels is if I screw up one set of mics then I have the other to salvage the recording..... as what happened at the echo project last weekend.  I Got to learn firsthand about brickwalling!!!  (yeah).  At least I "think" understand it now and have the M/S recording as the saviour.

This is very similar to what I've been waiting to try - my ADKTL's in M/S or Blumlien with the 4060's spaced on either side using the telescopic TV antenna, all on on stand.

There are so many possibilities possible with that configuration I don't know what to try first.  I can even angle the antennas back to the rear to form a small to medium size Decca tree.  Unfortunately without a 4-channel recorder I'll need to sync both 2 tracks in post.

[edit- congrats on your recording Cheesecadet, glad to hear it worked out well.. plustee]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:30:22 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »

Capnhook,
Ahh, the 3 Nak setup.  Curious about this... I assume this is all 3 mics spaced along the same plane?  Do you mix equal amounts of all 3 on the Nak mix box? or reduce the center a bit as is common for a Decca tree mix?  What's up with the card center? ..is card preferred in that position for detail and to be able to reduce the ambient contribution of the flanking omni's?  More a mater of what's on hand? Ever run three omni's? or the center farther out in front?

Evil,
Are you using all 3 mics for ambient room or the cardioid close mic'ed and the two omnis for stereo ambient room?

GB,  rain permitting, I run the center card about a foot higher than the omni's.....to get away from all the chatter I can.  I have run the center mic a foot and a half in front of the omnis, a la Decca tree.........but I'm liking better how a foot higher sounds.  From living room testing, wearing closed headphones, i've found that I like a 40/20/40 ratio best.  I spread the omni's about two feet, and angle them anywhere between 100-120 degrees (closer = wider angle).  If it looks like rain, the center mic goes up only about 4", and I tighten the angle up a bit, so everything fits under the umbrella.

Never been anywhere where people shut up enough to give three omnis a try.  Have heard some great sounding NAK tapes where people have used an omni between shotguns.

8)

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 09:49:26 PM »
... i've found that I like a 40/20/40 ratio best.  I spread the omni's about two feet, and angle them anywhere between 100-120 degrees (closer = wider angle)...

When you vary the ratio of center card to side omni's what quality of the sound changes?  detail & presence? ambient echo and crowd noise? stereo width & center stereo image?

..Never been anywhere where people shut up enough to give three omnis a try...

Does the 20% addition of the raised center card really reduce the chatter picked up by the 80% omni portion?

Have heard some great sounding NAK tapes where people have used an omni between shotguns.

I' got some great memories of listening to some of those tapes a couple decades back on an old, long gone smokin'  Nak cassette deck! Been about that long since i heard one.

Thanks for the details,
Peace.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »
Have heard some great sounding NAK tapes where people have used an omni between shotguns.

I've been dying for a chance to do this with my AKGs.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
... i've found that I like a 40/20/40 ratio best.  I spread the omni's about two feet, and angle them anywhere between 100-120 degrees (closer = wider angle)...

When you vary the ratio of center card to side omni's what quality of the sound changes?  detail & presence? ambient echo and crowd noise? stereo width & center stereo image?

In closed headphones, as i turn up the gain on the center omni, I get to a point where it really sounds natural to me.  When I dial too much of it into the mix, all the nice detail and presence that fixed that 'too-wide-hole-in-the-middle-2-spread-omni' sound is lost ----- stereo width goes away, and it sounds mid-rangey and kinda flat.  If i back it up 50% from there, I know it will sound right.  There's a pretty wide range where things sound right........and you hear right away when you've added too much.

..Never been anywhere where people shut up enough to give three omnis a try...
Does the 20% addition of the raised center card really reduce the chatter picked up by the 80% omni portion?

No.....i feel it's up there (1) so as not to add any more chatter than the omnis are picking up, and (2) so I can space and spread the omnis as wide as possible.

:o

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »
..In closed headphones, as i turn up the gain on the center omni, I get to a point where it really sounds natural to me.  When I dial too much of it into the mix, all the nice detail and presence that fixed that 'too-wide-hole-in-the-middle-2-spread-omni' sound is lost ----- stereo width goes away, and it sounds mid-rangey and kinda flat.  If i back it up 50% from there, I know it will sound right.  There's a pretty wide range where things sound right........and you hear right away when you've added too much...

Just what I was fishing for. Thx.  :)

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 01:42:22 AM »
All i'm saying is the configs and spacing blah blah blah is COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on what and where you're taping.  Yes omnis are going to sound better in different positions since their going to be picking up different sound waves but a difference of an inch or 2 or 3 is going to make very very very little difference.  When you point the mics AWAY from the sound source they'll be catching a little less direct sound since only one side of the mic is pointed directly at the sound source which can make a difference outdoors and at concerts sometimes.  For the most part though if the sound source is really loud it will make very little difference, the config that would make a difference is if the capsule was pointed away from the sound source so the capsules will record sound that's interacted with the mic bodies.  A true perfect omnidirectional pattern is non-directional.  Perfect is the key word.

easy jim

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2007, 02:56:32 PM »

I've been dying for a chance to do this with my AKGs.

I have not tried an omni in the middle yet, but here is an example of 2x AKG c568eb (short shotguns) + 1x c414b-xls/st (wide-cardioid, center mic): http://www.archive.org/details/cj2007-07-17.akg568-414.flac16

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?42dm1kdoxyx

my mp3-sample from yesterday using the following setup:
source: DPA 4061 mics/SP-SPSB-9(12 Volt) battery box/Sony MZ-RH1 HI-MD on line-in at level 28 of 30/HI-SP (256kbit/s ATRAC3+)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:42:11 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline boojum

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 04:56:53 PM »
The Michael Williams article on Stereophonic Zoom covers angles and spacing for both card and omni.  The article is in the AES library but available free here: http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/The%20Stereophonic%20Zoom.pdf

I have saved the settings for both card and omni in my little PalmPilot which I take with me to sessions now.  It is a valuable read and I can only suggest others read it to eliminate guesswork in setting up mics.  As usual, YMMV.

Cheers

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 01:30:24 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline badronald

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 12:27:41 AM »
The Michael Williams article on Stereophonic Zoom covers angles and spacing for both card and omni.  The article is in the AES library but available free here: http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/The%20Stereophonic%20Zoom.pdf

Awesome - thanks for the link boojum.  I'm just getting started & was looking for something like this.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 10:57:05 AM »

Awesome - thanks for the link boojum.  I'm just getting started & was looking for something like this.

That's a great resource that I use as well, I will say though that reducing the angular distortion of the resulting stereo image (what the article above adresses) is much lower on my list of priorities for a good recording than other things such as:
1) overall frequency balance
2) reduction of anoying echoes & room modes
3) direct to reverberant sound ratio
4) clarity & intelligibility

That's especially true with AUD amplified PA recordings.  If you can listen with phones or in-ears to the house music while setting up or during an opener, you'll be able to dial in the right 'sound' that incorporates all of the above. Tweak your omni spacing this way by ear and if possible, by moving your whole rig around and you'll have a much better change of bagging a killer sound.

Offline boojum

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 01:33:52 PM »
The Stereo Zoom technique will get you really close to what you want.  With luck, one more tweak and you are done.  What is important is that you get the angles and spacing right away.  It is easily reproduceble.  That is a real time saver in the field.  Ah lak it.  :)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »
boojum, are you using the method primarily with directional mics, omnis, both?

When I came across this last year, I was daydeaming up an adjustable bar with a linkage that adjusted the mic angle as the spread was changed.. potentially with a different starting setting for various mic patterns.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 05:19:05 PM »
One observation I've made is that a closer spaced omni's seem to emphasize the treble, wider spacings the bass, probably due to where in the frequency spectrum the comb filtering comes into play.

Another observation is that different spacings greatly effect how the recording decodes with matrix type surround decoders like Dolby PLIIx (and pretty much any surround decoder that is not a discrete digital format) that send signal to the surrounds based on the phase rotation between the left and right channels.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09:44 PM »

Running the mics at 180 isn't going to do anything for omnis besides distancing the capsules since they have a spherical pickup pattern. 

actually it is.  17cm spacing with caps at 180 degrees is a legitimate A-B stereo technique.  I had Michael Hartkopf's page saved in my favorites that describes this exact spacing (along with all the varying A-B degree of angles based on capsule spacing) but alas, his page has been down for the last few months.  Anyways, omnis are directional in the higher frequency range and this method, also known as healy method by tapers, will provide stereo seperation.  As the spacing between the capsules becomes further apart, the angle between the capsules will get less.

my .002 worth a .000001  :)

ahhhhhhhh, thank you archive.org's wayback machine.  This page is an invaluable resource.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050314085929/members.aol.com/mihartkopf/lexicon.htm

AB Stereo Setup
A setup to record whole ensembles. It uses two omnidirectional microphones, which have a distance from each other. Only the runtime difference between the two mics indicates the position in the stereo image. Runtime difference always means phase difference too. Therefore it is not allowed to convert an AB stereo recording to mono because phase cancellation will cause comb filter effects which will shift through the whole audio spectra. You can bet that this will cause bad sound. AB is prone to over-emphasize the stereo width. To avoid this, you should 1.) be sure that the distance among the mics is smaller than the distance of the source and 2.) the sound source is completely within the recording angle shown in the table below. The table bases on the geometric calculation that when a natural left ear sound from straight left, it takes 17 cm at the speed of sound to reach the right ear. In this distance, the recording angle is 180 degrees. For a larger mic distance the angle is smaller to ensure being inside the "17 cm at the speed of sound" border. It is just a trigonometric calculation that created the table.
Mic distance (cm) Recording angle (degrees)
17 180.0
20 116.4
25 85.7
30 69.0
35 58.1
40 50.3
45 44.4
50 39.8
60 32.9
70 28.1
80 24.5
90 21.8
100 19.6
 Please observe the demandment that distance among the microphones and the corresponding recording angle, and the distance of the sound source from the mics and the corresponding amount of reverb harmonize with each other. Further observe the rule that the mics have to be inside the radius of reverb.

here is his archived page with tons mic info, alot on lesser known or out of production mics. 
http://web.archive.org/web/20050406223334/members.aol.com/mihartkopf/index.htm

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 07:58:43 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 09:28:40 PM »
But recording angle and the angle between mics are two different things.  Unless I'm badly mistaken, Hartkopf is referring to the angle subtended by the sound sources as viewed from the recording location rather than the angle between the mics.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,93945.msg1252605.html#msg1252605

Edit:  which is not to say that omnis don't have some directionality at high frequencies, or that the Healy method isn't an established technique.  Just that the table above doesn't say what angle to point your mics based on how far apart they are, rather it says how widely you should space the mics if you want sources separated by x° to spread from one speaker to the other upon playback.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 09:36:08 PM by Will_S »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2007, 11:02:53 PM »
But recording angle and the angle between mics are two different things.  Unless I'm badly mistaken, Hartkopf is referring to the angle subtended by the sound sources as viewed from the recording location rather than the angle between the mics.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,93945.msg1252605.html#msg1252605

Edit:  which is not to say that omnis don't have some directionality at high frequencies, or that the Healy method isn't an established technique.  Just that the table above doesn't say what angle to point your mics based on how far apart they are, rather it says how widely you should space the mics if you want sources separated by x° to spread from one speaker to the other upon playback.

???

must be the long week and my feeble mind but I'm not quite following.  We are talking about stereophonic recording techniques, correct?

be sure that the distance among the mics is smaller than the distance of the source and 2.) the sound source is completely within the recording angle shown in the table below. The table bases on the geometric calculation that when a natural left ear sound from straight left, it takes 17 cm at the speed of sound to reach the right ear. In this distance, the recording angle is 180 degrees. For a larger mic distance the angle is smaller to ensure being inside the "17 cm at the speed of sound" border. It is just a trigonometric calculation that created the table.

Please observe the demandment that distance among the microphones and the corresponding recording angle, and the distance of the sound source from the mics and the corresponding amount of reverb harmonize with each other. Further observe the rule that the mics have to be inside the radius of reverb.

This results in a small loss of trebles. So you have to decide whether you want to use the mic in a distance from the sound source (where is more reverb than direct sound) - e.g. as ambience mic - or inside the radius of reverb, where there is more direct sound than reverb. Diffuse field equalization results in a bit of treble boost. For distant miking, you have to select a diffuse-field equalized omni microphone, and for close miking (including AB setups, OSS/Jecklin discs, MS setups) the correct selection is a free-field equalized omni microphone. However, in fact, the more distant to the sound source, the more treble boost the mic may have.

copied from the above links
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:07:54 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline Will_S

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2007, 12:51:06 AM »
We are talking about stereophonic recording techniques, correct?

Yes.  Maybe someone else can explain this better than I can, for instance what DSatz says in the post I linked to:

The confusion, I think, is between two angles which have a cause-and-effect relationship, but aren't the same thing:

(a) the physical angle between the main axes of a pair of microphones, and

(b) the arc of sound from the original venue which they cover (specified as an angle).

The second of these is what Prof. Williams calls the "stereophonic recording angle," and in general, the wider you make (a), the narrower (b) will be and vice versa. That's the big paradox that I referred to earlier.

Most people assume that the wider they spread their microphones, the wider an arc they will cover. It's as obvious as the observation that the Sun revolves around the Earth ... and just as wrong. The arc that you cover with a stereo pair of microphones (coincident or closely spaced directional microphones, anyway) corresponds more or less to the area of overlap between their polar patterns. The wider you spread them apart, the smaller this area of overlap will be, and thus the narrower the angle of stereo coverage will be.

Whenever a direct sound source is picked up exclusively (or nearly so) by just one of the two microphones, it will appear to come from the location of the corresponding loudspeaker during playback. Usually you only want (at most) the very farthest extreme sound sources to be reproduced that way; often it's preferable for not even the most extreme left and right sound sources seem to come from the location of either loudspeaker. You don't want to "advertise" the loudspeaker's exact position, because stereo sound is an illusion and an auditory awareness of the loudspeaker position tends to spoil that illusion.

You want (this being an esthetic convention, i.e. something subjective that is nonetheless advisable because it's the generally accepted paradigm) the direct sound to be spread across "an appropriate amount" of the space between the loudspeakers, depending on how wide the original direct sound source was. A solo piccolo shouldn't fill the entire soundstage width, and actually neither should a solo piano, even if it's one of those huge, long Bösendorfer concert grands. Your choice of the microphone patterns and geometry (angle and distance between mikes, and distance from mikes to sound sources) determines the audibly "apparent" width (what the Germans call the "stereo basis width") that will be produced later over loudspeakers.

--best regards

But note that DSatz is talking about a pair of directional mics, whereas we are talking about omnis.  But the basic point is the same--the stereo recording angle is not the same thing as the physical angle between the mics.

Imagine you are standing at the apex of an equilateral triangle with a guitar player at the corner of the triangle to your left and a banjo player to the right.  From your position, they describe an angle of 60°.  If you record them using a pair of cardioid mics, but place the mics facing directly ahead and directly on top of them, when you play back the recording both instruments will be equally loud in both speakers, with a mono recording the result.

Now say you keep the mics conincident but widen the physical angle between the mics to 90°.  At this point, the guitar will be louder in the left mic, but still picked up quite a bit by the right mic.  And when you play back this recording, it will image with the guitar to the left and the banjo to the right, but their images will not be spread all the way between the two speakers, instead the guitar will image a bit left of center and the banjo a bit right of center.  This is because the stereo recording angle of cards XY 90° is 180° - sources need to be spread all the way over 180° as seen from the recording position to have their image spread all the way between the two speakers.  As you increase the physical angle between the mics (say, to 135°) the stereo recording angle actually decreases - that is, sound sources don't need to be a full 180° apart to image hard left / hard right.

I believe the reference you sited is also referring to stereo recording angle in this sense.  For ideal omnis, changing the angle between mics won't really affect loudness for sounds coming from the right vs. the left.  All the stereo cues from omni recordings (without a baffle adding directionality, and aside from some directionality in high frequency content) come from timing differences due to the sound hitting one mic before the other.  The further apart the mics are, the bigger the timing difference for the arrival of sounds coming from off axis.  Thus, the farther apart the mics, the smaller angle (in reality) between sound sources needed to produce the same perceived angle between the sound sources on playback.  Thus stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2007, 12:55:56 AM »

I believe the reference you sited is also referring to stereo recording angle in this sense.  For ideal omnis, changing the angle between mics won't really affect loudness for sounds coming from the right vs. the left.  All the stereo cues from omni recordings (without a baffle adding directionality, and aside from some directionality in high frequency content) come from timing differences due to the sound hitting one mic before the other.  The further apart the mics are, the bigger the timing difference for the arrival of sounds coming from off axis.  Thus, the farther apart the mics, the smaller angle (in reality) between sound sources needed to produce the same perceived angle between the sound sources on playback.  Thus stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

Exactly! That is what I was talking about.  We are on the same page, maybe it was me who was not clear  :)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2007, 07:22:45 AM »

Exactly! That is what I was talking about.  We are on the same page, maybe it was me who was not clear  :)

It's nice to see a universe defined so neatly.

I suppose the problem for the theoretical universe is that pesky higher frequency directionality and the fact there is no 'true' omni mic...and that the higher frequencies are the most important for directional perception. Which means changing the angle will affect the loudness of frequencies related to positional information :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2007, 09:10:12 AM »

I suppose the problem for the theoretical universe is that pesky higher frequency directionality and the fact there is no 'true' omni mic...and that the higher frequencies are the most important for directional perception. Which means changing the angle will affect the loudness of frequencies related to positional information :)

digifish

And then there's the phase relationship that changes with (most) omni mic orientations relative to the sound(s) source direction.  Very important to imaging with baflled omni HRTF type mic array.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

stirinthesauce

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2007, 09:11:49 AM »

It's not.  But you knew that  ;)  However, the theories behind stereophonic recording and the mic placement involved in that provides a starting point.  From there, I, we, you will cater to their needs because of the imperfect world and the imperfect tools we use.  I take the theoreotical as a starting point and see how I can apply it to any given situation and then manipulate to my needs.

Offline Will_S

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »

Ahh, ok.  I think what threw me was using the chart in conjunction with discussion of the Healy technique, as if the reason the mics in the Healy technique were poistioned at 180° was because of the SRA being 180°.

digifish

Yes, and that is acknowledged in the quoted passage.  It doesn't change the fact that all else being equal stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 08:50:05 PM »

Ahh, ok.  I think what threw me was using the chart in conjunction with discussion of the Healy technique, as if the reason the mics in the Healy technique were positioned at 180° was because of the SRA being 180°.

Not to confuse things, but actually for the 'Healy Technique', I think that IS partially the case.  In that particular case, the primary determinate of the 180° SRA IS the spacing between the mics but secondarily, the high frequency directionality of the mics angled 180° apart also approximates the sensitivity to high frequencies of the human head (like HRTF without a baffle).  As I understand it, Healy originally devised that setup as an on-stage mic technique to feed the in-ear monitors that the band had started using so they could hear each other and whatever else was going on on-stage with their 'ear-monitor-plugs' in.  The mic setup approximated a binaural technique similar to an artificial head, delivering those onstage sound ques to each member. Remember that this was back when in-ear monitors were new, the Dead were forging trails into new territory as they had done so many times before and in typical Dead style it was done to the extreme..  if the PA was turned off the only sound would be drums, no bass, no guitar or key cabs contributing to onstage sound.  Still, with omnis..

..It doesn't change the fact that all else being equal stereo recording angle decreases as the distance between mics increases.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »
And then there's the phase relationship that changes with (most) omni mic orientations relative to the sound(s) source direction.  Very important to imaging with baflled omni HRTF type mic array.

?

..or to any spaced mic technique.

Any spaced mic technique will produce phase differences between channels for sound sources that are not directly in front, behind, above or on that vertical plane between mics.  That's the case regardless of polar pattern.  The only way to avoid ANY change of 'phase relationship' is to position the mics coincidentally.  The only stereo omni configuration I can imagine without phase differences between channels would be placing two omnis as close as possible against opposite sides of a thin baffle to try and and get to a close-as-possible coincident placement while still retaining the directionality imparted by the baffle.

Distance between mics = time difference between channels for off center sources = phase difference between channels, determined by the relationship between the distance between the mics and the frequency's wavelength.

Offline boojum

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
Michael Williams' paper on Stereophonic Zoom covers the distances needed between omnis for different sound stages.  It is a very effective technique.  It will start you at a place where a small adjustment will be all you need.  Or, you can just go with his settings.  I have been experimenting with it and find it quite accurate and very helpful.  Rycote has a reprint with all the data, explanations, charts and so on.  It is a difficult read.  Well, it is for me as I have a reading disability and it threw me.  It took me about six tries to understand it.  I think you guys could get it in one shot.

http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/The%20Stereophonic%20Zoom.pdf

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2007, 01:26:56 PM »
It's very gratifying to read a thread such as this one. My hat (currently a bright blue "New York Liberty" cap) is off to the people who are in there experimenting and listening--even if to some extent, they're "re-inventing the wheel." The fact that some brave souls are making reasonable guesses and then trying those guesses out, listening to the results and refining their theories is wondrous to behold.

As opposed specifically to: people who start out with theories, love those theories above all else, and interpret whatever they see and hear so that their theories will seem to be upheld. I hereby declare myself a refugee from boards where that is the dominant attitude.

Still and all, let me try to make some people's work a little easier, perhaps.

#1: The omnis that most people are talking about here are small pressure transducers. Their behavior is quite different from the "omni" pattern of most multi-pattern microphones (the only exceptions, because of how they switch their patterns: Schoeps microphones and certain recent Shure KSMs). Some characteristics (e.g. the angles and spacings that work well for stereo recording) come from "omniness" in general, while other characteristics (e.g. extended low-frequency response; relative insensitivity to wind, handling noise or physical vibration) come from the fact that they're pressure transducers.

People who are running, for example, an LSD-2 or an AKG C 34 shouldn't expect the "omni" setting of their mikes to behave like the omnis discussed in this thread, since their kind of "omni" is synthesized from two back-to-back cardioids, and behaves more like a directional microphone in many respects. Also, at high frequencies their pattern is more bidirectional (or "propellor-shaped") and differs from that of a pressure microphone, which simply narrows its forward pattern at higher frequencies.

#2: Hooray for the people who tried it, listened, and found that a relatively small spacing between two omnis (just a few feet) is often enough for good stereo pickup--even when the sound source is quite wide. For some unfathomable reason, most of us Americans never seem to imagine that this approach is worth trying, let alone that it might actually work better (i.e. be less swimmy and phasey) than more widely-spaced omnis.

In Europe when people talk about "AB" stereo recording, they usually think of a moderately small distance between the mikes. The conventional American style (divide the overall width by three and place the microphones at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions--or even divide it by four and put the mikes at 1/4 and 3/4) seems very strange; can't we hear the "hole in the middle?" Sometimes I listen to the old Telarc orchestra recordings that won all those Grammy awards in the early days of the CD, and it helps me to understand why many people find a center microphone necessary as a rule (e.g. Decca Tree or the Nakamichi three-mike "curtain" approach). But sometimes a better solution comes about by not creating the defect in the first place.

#3: Someone pointed out that the closeness or distance of microphone placement seemed to affect the brightness or dullness of the pickup with omnis more than with other patterns. Again, hooray; what their ears were telling them was spot on. And as it turns out, this explains why there can never be any one type of omnidirectional microphone that is ideal for all types of setup and all styles of recording--any thought that one manufacturer or design approach has the supreme edge over all other brands and types is simply a misplaced notion (even more so with omnis than with any other kind of microphone, I would say).

The thing is, reflected sound and direct sound aren't just sound coming from one direction versus another. Reflected sound is sound with a past; it arrives later, it arrives over multiple paths (and thus at multiple angles of incidence and multiple arrival times), and it has bounced off of surfaces which have each taken a chunk out of the sound--usually at high frequencies most of all. So it is truly "diffuse," in three ways at once: incidence angles that approach randomness, arrival times that are spread out, and high-frequency content that's been dulled down.

For indoor recording, the farther away you get from the sound sources, the more reflected sound you'll pick up relative to the direct sound. At high frequencies, any but the tiniest (and therefore noisiest) of omnidirectional microphones are more sensitive to direct sound than diffuse sound, so you are immediately plunged into the midst of a balancing act. Since we all face practical constraints as to miking distances, angles, etc., different microphones are sometimes needed, or some corresponding equalization of the high frequencies in post.

This high-frequency absorption of reflected sound is generally desirable from the listener's point of view. It's certainly a part of what we hear in any concert venue, and if there isn't enough of it, the room sounds harsh and fatiguing. If anyone ever tries to sell you on a certain type of microphone because its elevated high-frequency response off axis "compensates" for these losses, perhaps that ought to set off one's BS detector--it's "fixing" something that wasn't broken in the first place. (Ordinarily it will be a directional microphone, though; as noted above, omnis have the exact opposite tendency.)

--OK, we suddenly have guests including a 4-year-old, so I'd better run. Thanks again for all the goodies in this thread. Yay you people.

--best regards

P.S. the next morning: Added a photo of a diffuse sound field as mimicked by the ginko leaves that fell last night.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:57:00 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.415 seconds with 77 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com