Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good replacement for CD Wave Editor.  (Read 5172 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Good replacement for CD Wave Editor.
« on: May 14, 2023, 11:31:25 AM »
Been using CD Wav for splitting tracks for years. All of a sudden it won't open certain files. Gives a bad format warning. I can't find my original install file. I was going to try reinstalling it. I like this program because of its extreme ease of use. So something simple like CDwav would be great or if anyone has an old installer file. Thanks.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: Good replacement for CD Wave Editor.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 11:57:05 AM »
got a clean copy of CD Wave Editor V1.98

Here's a WeTransfer

https://we.tl/t-OIZrJGW3wf

Change the (.exz) suffix to (.exe) and run

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline loughney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 12:04:23 PM »
Been using CD Wav for splitting tracks for years. All of a sudden it won't open certain files. Gives a bad format warning. I can't find my original install file. I was going to try reinstalling it. I like this program because of its extreme ease of use. So something simple like CDwav would be great or if anyone has an old installer file. Thanks.
You can download from here:

http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 12:51:09 PM »

You might also check to see if the files it won't open are 32 bit float. I had an issue with Traders Little Helper and realized that files it wouldn't open were 32 bit float. Had to re-export them as 24 or 16 bit.

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 01:52:47 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'll try re installing. Also, these are not 32 bit float. Funny, thing is some will open, others will not. The one that will not open are no different than those that will. Different show of course, but all 24 bit PCM wavs.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 03:51:46 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'll try re installing. Also, these are not 32 bit float. Funny, thing is some will open, others will not. The one that will not open are no different than those that will. Different show of course, but all 24 bit PCM wavs.

How big are the WAV files that won't open?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 06:44:40 PM »

A little less than 2GB. At first I thought I was forgetting to save any work I was doing. That wasn't it. Funny thing is I can open the file in cdwave before doing any DSP. I use Audition.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »

A little less than 2GB. At first I thought I was forgetting to save any work I was doing. That wasn't it. Funny thing is I can open the file in cdwave before doing any DSP. I use Audition.

This happened to me a while back when I did a reinstall of some software including CD Wave Editor on a new to me desktop. I couldn't get CD Wave to open a couple of wav files from Wavelab and I finally realized Wavelab had reset the save format to ADPCM instead of PCM for some reason. Check your output format in Audition.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ts

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 11:24:56 AM »
Still no good. Only thing I can think of is Windows did an update and the files aren't saving properly? The file I'm having issues opening in cdwave was after the update and after processing in Audition. I can open any file before the update. So something changed in the way the file is being saved in Audition since the update.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:37:27 AM by ts »

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 11:41:23 AM »
Still no good. Only thing I can think of is Widows did an update and the files aren't saving properly? The file I'm having issues opening in cdwave was after the update. I can open any file before the update. So something changed in the way the file is being saved in Audition since the update.

if you want to link a problematic file id be happy to try opening it on my machines
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 12:12:30 PM »
Still no good. Only thing I can think of is Widows did an update and the files aren't saving properly? The file I'm having issues opening in cdwave was after the update. I can open any file before the update. So something changed in the way the file is being saved in Audition since the update.
Make sure it hasn't changed the suffix from .wav to something else. Audacity defaults to .aiff for instance.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline nassau73

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 03:27:38 PM »

A possible thing to try is open the file in Audition and then instead of simply hitting "Save", try "Save As" and specify 16 bit or 24 bit.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 04:04:46 PM »
In my experience Audtion (3.0 for me) always opens 24-bit files as 32-bit. I've never tried to output 24-bit files from Audition though, I leave my original masters as native 24/whatever and my edited files end up as 16/44.1. In 3.0 I don't even see an option to convert to 24-bit.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 04:08:47 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline ts

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »
Here's an attachment of the file info. The error message in cdwave is: "Bad Format. Only PCM format supported." As you can see in the file, this is PCM. Again, I'm using Audition 3.0. and I am saving as Windows PCM

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2023, 11:40:49 AM »
It looks to be a 32 bit file and I would guess that is your issue.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »
I would agree! 

It looks to be a 32 bit file and I would guess that is your issue.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »
Select one of your saved files that was output from Audition that you think is 24bit. Right click on it and open Properties. In the details it will tell you if what the file is being saved as.

It looks like you think you are saving as 24 bit but are actually saving as 32bit.

It's been years since I used Audition so I'm not much help on how to fix it but at least you can narrow down your issue.

Also, in Wavelab which I use for almost all my editing - in the format selection box Windows PCM is actually ADPCM format. There's a separate selection called just PCM that saves WAV containers. Check your selections and try a few different things then go back and check the properties of the saved file until it's what you are looking for.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »
Here I have a file I recorded Saturday on a DR-680mkII, a 24-bit/48kHz file. Then all I did was open it in Adobe Audition 3.0 and save a copy. The saved file is now 32-bit floating. AA3.0 automatically does that with any 24-bit upon opening, converts it to 32-bit floating.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:17:03 PM by jefflester »
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2023, 01:10:26 PM »
So when you open the file it becomes 32-bit floating, that becomes the default when you turn around to save it. Looks like you have to use the "Options" under Save As to get 24-bit.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:12:46 PM by jefflester »

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2023, 01:13:43 PM »
Hey, it worked. I've been using AA3.0 for probably a dozen years with 24-bit files and just learned this. I tried opening the "AA3" file (32-bit floating) in CD Wave and got the error, the "24" file opened fine.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:16:36 PM by jefflester »

Offline ts

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2023, 01:58:54 PM »
Thats it, for some reason since the windows update, every is now saving in 32bit. Prior to the update everything saved in 24bit, which is what the original recordings are in.   :shrug:  So how do I get AA 3.0 to go back to the way it was?

Offline nassau73

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2023, 02:22:36 PM »
Thats it, for some reason since the windows update, every is now saving in 32bit. Prior to the update everything saved in 24bit, which is what the original recordings are in.   :shrug:  So how do I get AA 3.0 to go back to the way it was?

I believe AA3 always opened 24 bit in 32 bit float (as Jeff Lester pointed out earlier). My AA3 no longer functions but when I did use it and started recording in 24 bit, I was creating 16/44.1 edits for CD's and seeding. It was only when I started seeding at Lossless Legs (where folks seem to gravitate towards 24 bit) that I ran into "bad format" responses from Traders Little Helper when trying to create flac files. It took me awhile to figure out that everything needed to be exported as 24 bit if that's what I wanted to keep.

I'm trying to remember if I exported a 24 bit file as 24 bit from AA3 - did AA3 keep 24 bit rather than opening in 32 bit float. I think that AA3 does that conversion to 32 bit float in order to give more headroom during editing.

Offline ts

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2023, 05:26:39 PM »
I've only ever used audition. Before that cool edit. In AA3 I import in 24/48, which is what I record at. AA processes in 32bit and when I export/save, it saves back in 24bit. Always been that way. I'm still blaming this "new feature" on this last windows update. So when I get a chance I'll see if I can resample to 24bit from 32. I've never had to that before now. Or I can resample down to 16, I'm sure.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2023, 07:21:21 AM »
You shouldn't have to resample. As Jeff mentioned above, you need to make sure that when you go to save the file in AA3, on the Save As box click "Options" at the very bottom, then make sure under "Format 32 bit data as" select > "24-bit packed int (type 1, 24-bit)".

It is normal for AA3 to open your 24-bit WAVs as "32-bit integer float", but something triggered your saving options (Windows update or otherwise) and likely needs to be reset.

I, too, have been using AA3 for 10-12 years on a Win 10 machine and had no issue transferring shows last month. I also opened the edited WAVs directly in CD Wave afterwards for tracking, so the workflow was the same as yours.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline ts

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2023, 02:19:29 PM »
Alright, all good. I wish I spent some time reading Jeff's posts. I was a little distracted yesterday. Thanks audball for pointing that out. I still think that windows update did something. I am certain I did not go into options and change save as to 32 bit.  :smash:

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2023, 04:34:24 PM »
^ I was curious as to why I never encountered an issue. Maybe it was something I had to select way back and forgot about it.  :shrug:

Hopefully yours remains after switching back. It's good to know where to look if the issue ever arises.

Not to derail, but has anyone tried running AA3 on Windows 11?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.298 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com