Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which shot do you prefer?  (Read 5798 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
which shot do you prefer?
« on: August 01, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »
Here are 3 shots of the same waterfall from this afternoon.  First pic is from directly in front, the other two are from a little further back and to the left.  Just two different angles on those.  Let me know which you prefer and why.  Thanks!   :)

Offline dgodwin

• Needs to get out more...
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
Re: which shot do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 08:51:47 PM »
I like the first one because it focuses on the waterfall.  I like the second one too as it shows the whole area.  The third one... eh... it's ok I guess

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 08:54:47 PM »
Interesting.

Wanna here some more then I'll discuss my perspective. 

Thanks for the feedback  :)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »
#3.

The blackness of the cave and its form is framed nicely by the blue of the falls to the left.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »
64 views, any other comments? 

So, Terry likes the 3rd the best and dgodwin likes the first followed by the 2nd.  Reasons stated in their posts.  Would love to hear others opinions before I state mine.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
#3 is by far the best.   The water fall needs to be off-center....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 10:26:03 AM »
I like the third as well, not too sure why.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
I like the "landscape" nature of the second, that is the additional width adds to general impression of the area in that it isn't specific to the waterfall. I also like aspects of the third: the limbs in the right foreground don't extend down into the cave as they do in the second, captures a little more of the forground though I think if the recent dead limb was removed from the lower left and only the older moss-covered log was there I would like the shot more.

After spending some time looking at all three, I actually prefer the first for overall composition. That said, each has strengths the others don't have and likewise each has things that detract from the overall image.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »
I like the third.  I'm not one for being able to explain why i like art, etc.  But I'll try:

I think the vertical orientation of the shot makes a more dramtic effict of the waterfall itself.  I also like the fact that there is a little more foreground before you get to the waterfall.  The blackness of the cave, which Terry mentioned, also is more appealing to me.  I also like seeing a little more of the top of the waterfall...
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
thanks for the responses, folks  :)

If I had a wider lens (in short term future I will), the first pic would be it.  I couldn't get far enough back to get enough of the top of the waterfall.  Those rocks were SLIPPERY!  I didn't want to take a spill.  Myself, when I took pic 3 and saw it on the lcd screen, I said "I've got it, I'm headed back."  It was what I was looking for.  Foreground, midground, and background.  Color looked nice.  Was happy.  Got home, and #2 had me 2nd guessing myself.  But upon further review, I stick with my first impression, #3.

Ideally, I could spend a whole day in this area shooting.  It was Sutter Falls in Collins Gulf, part of Savage Gulf State Park.  Here's another pic from just below the falls, above the next "bridal veil" falls.  I couldn't get down that, as the rocks were real slippery.  I'll be back to get it.

Off this afternoon/evening for another location of waterfall shoots.  Post some more from it tonight. 

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »
any pointers for waterfall shooting?  I leave on Saturday for Maui and I hear there's waterfalls everywhere just dying to be shot!!!  Being a bit of a rookie, all input is appreciated.  I hear that I want slow shutter speed to get the silky water effect.  Aside from that, anything else?

The Upstream Mend

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 02:43:07 PM »
I really want to say #1 because of the rocks in the foreground.  But I would like ot see the waterfall off center to give the composition a bit more punch.  I'd also like to see a bit more saturation in the colors....

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
any pointers for waterfall shooting?  I leave on Saturday for Maui and I hear there's waterfalls everywhere just dying to be shot!!!  Being a bit of a rookie, all input is appreciated.  I hear that I want slow shutter speed to get the silky water effect.  Aside from that, anything else?

shoot them early morning or late afternoon/evening when there is low light.  You also MUST have a tripod.  You will want your aperture at it's smallest, f22 or f32, so as to get the least amount of light.  This way, you will have a long exposure time.  This will enhance the fluidness of the water.  You don't want to stop the movement of the water, but give it a sense of motion.  I prefer exposure times of at least 15 seconds.  A polarizer helps (I use one always when shooting water shots).

Did I mention get a tripod?  ;)

They are a bit spendy, but not too bad.  Definitly worth it.  I think I paid $180 w/ tax for my manfrotto stand and head.  Definitly on the low end of the spectrum.  I got sticker shock when out shopping.  Most stands were in the 200-300 range and heads 150-300 range.  I asked for help from the salesman, to keep me under 200 (this was purchased from Dury's in Nashville, a warehouse style dealer that's been around for over a 100 years).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:55:10 PM by stirinthesauce »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
I really want to say #1 because of the rocks in the foreground.  But I would like ot see the waterfall off center to give the composition a bit more punch.  I'd also like to see a bit more saturation in the colors....

Thanks for the feedback  :)

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 02:57:14 PM »
I have a decent tripod at home from my sister's film days, and that is definitely coming with me.  I actually picked up a polarizer today on my lunch break!!!  Thanks for the pointers!

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.291 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com