Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which shot do you prefer?  (Read 5798 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: which shot do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »
I have a decent tripod at home from my sister's film days, and that is definitely coming with me.  I actually picked up a polarizer today on my lunch break!!!  Thanks for the pointers!

good luck!  I bet Maui will be awesome!  I'm headed to Costa Rica next February, and you bet I'll be taking some photos  ;D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »
Here are 3 shots of the same waterfall from this afternoon.  First pic is from directly in front, the other two are from a little further back and to the left.  Just two different angles on those.  Let me know which you prefer and why.  Thanks!   :)

I think #1 seems to have captured the essence of the place.. I like the balance and I like the clarity of the image and the waterfall seems to jump out at me.. They are all good photographs but my favorite is #1

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
any pointers for waterfall shooting?  I leave on Saturday for Maui and I hear there's waterfalls everywhere just dying to be shot!!!  Being a bit of a rookie, all input is appreciated.  I hear that I want slow shutter speed to get the silky water effect.  Aside from that, anything else?

shoot them early morning or late afternoon/evening when there is low light.  You also MUST have a tripod.  You will want your aperture at it's smallest, f22 or f32, so as to get the least amount of light.  This way, you will have a long exposure time.  This will enhance the fluidness of the water.  You don't want to stop the movement of the water, but give it a sense of motion.  I prefer exposure times of at least 15 seconds.  A polarizer helps (I use one always when shooting water shots).

Did I mention get a tripod?  ;)

They are a bit spendy, but not too bad.  Definitly worth it.  I think I paid $180 w/ tax for my manfrotto stand and head.  Definitly on the low end of the spectrum.  I got sticker shock when out shopping.  Most stands were in the 200-300 range and heads 150-300 range.  I asked for help from the salesman, to keep me under 200 (this was purchased from Dury's in Nashville, a warehouse style dealer that's been around for over a 100 years).

If you plan on doing a lot of water fall shooting, a neutral density filter as well.  I just can't think of when else I would use one...

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com