Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with Edirol R-09 Internals Help Please.  (Read 2796 times)

Offline lachy_legend

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording with Edirol R-09 Internals Help Please.
« on: June 02, 2008, 02:58:43 AM »
hi guys im a total noob, and i am going to be recording a concert in a few weeks with an R-09 and i dont have any externals so ill be using internals. can i please have some advice as to how i get the best results.
where to be positioned, and all the settings i should have it set to for the best results possible?

thanks
Lachy

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recording with Edirol R-09 Internals Help Please.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:36:12 PM »
I think the internals are quite useless for concertrecordings. I've tried a couple of times but got better results with my selfmade panasonic caps wa61 mics. The internals are quite nice for lets say band rehearsals etc but for true concerts it's quite a pain.
Anyway, I'll give it a try. Above all, record manually using manual levelsettings, so adjust your levels on the fly. That means you'll have to check levels during the show and change when needed. You'll probably have to move the recorder in order to change recording levels which will be audible in your final result.
AGC OFF
LOW CUT OFF
MIC GAIN LOW

+T for trying though, fingers crossed!
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:05:55 PM »
i am going to be recording a concert in a few weeks with an R-09 and ... ill be using internals.

Are you going to tape in the open or try to stealth?  I've never taped stealth so I don't know anything about that, but I have taped one show in the open with the internal mics on my R-09 and it turned out much better than I expected.  The main thing for you to do if taping in the open is to get your R-09 above head-level.  For your recording level, I'd start at 20 and go up or down as needed.

Here's the show that I recorded with my R-09's internals:
http://www.archive.org/details/fortytwenty2008-03-28

Offline rhinowing

• Needs to get out more...
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:39:57 PM »
Just get the mics as high up as possible.
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline lachy_legend

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:02:21 AM »
hi whats open or stealth?

the gig is at my high school so it wont be as loud as a proper gig. but it will still be loud.

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 03:07:21 AM »
I think the internals are quite useless for concertrecordings. I've tried a couple of times but got better results with my selfmade panasonic caps wa61 mics. The internals are quite nice for lets say band rehearsals etc but for true concerts it's quite a pain.
Anyway, I'll give it a try. Above all, record manually using manual levelsettings, so adjust your levels on the fly. That means you'll have to check levels during the show and change when needed. You'll probably have to move the recorder in order to change recording levels which will be audible in your final result.
AGC OFF
LOW CUT OFF
MIC GAIN LOW

+T for trying though, fingers crossed!

They are actually fairly useful.  Perhaps you've just had bad luck.  I've had quite good results with them when I've needed to.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline lachy_legend

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:06:50 AM »

Are you going to tape in the open or try to stealth?  I've never taped stealth so I don't know anything about that, but I have taped one show in the open with the internal mics on my R-09 and it turned out much better than I expected.  The main thing for you to do if taping in the open is to get your R-09 above head-level.  For your recording level, I'd start at 20 and go up or down as needed.

Here's the show that I recorded with my R-09's internals:
http://www.archive.org/details/fortytwenty2008-03-28
[/quote]

hi i listened to your recording and its brill what settings did you use to record on the r-09?

thanks.
lachy

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:20:34 AM »
hi whats open or stealth?
the gig is at my high school so it wont be as loud as a proper gig. but it will still be loud.

Open taping is when you tape with your equipment out in the open, and stealth taping is when you hide your equipment to record the music.  It sounds like you'll be taping in the open, so follow rhinowing's advice to get your R-09 up as high as you can, and follow Nixoo's recommendations on how to set the switches on the back of the recorder.  You should set your recording level to around 20, and then adjust up or down as necessary--you'll want your levels to peak between 12 and 6 on your R-09 so that you'll have plenty of headroom and you'll avoid clipping.  If you can record a soundcheck that would be the best way to be ready, but if not you'll have to adjust your recording level when the music begins.  Good luck!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
You can improve the imaging of the internal mics with a simple piece of cardboard.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lachy_legend

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:48:55 AM »
thanks for the advice guys its well appreciated.
and yes i will be taping the soundcheck as well

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com