Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to connect a Roku to A/V receiver  (Read 3192 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best way to connect a Roku to A/V receiver
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »
So I’m now using Roku devices for all my TV viewing. No more cable boxes. The Roku I am using in my HT room only has HDMI out. Older Rokus had more connection options? So I think I only have two options and wondering which is best.

- an HDMI splitter
- optical out of my TV to receiver

The receiver I am using does not have ARC, so connecting Roku directly to receiver is not an option.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:49:04 PM by ts »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: Best way to connect a Roku to A/V receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »
So I’m now using Roku devices for all my TV viewing. No more cable boxes. The Roku I am using in my HT room only has HDMI out. Older Rokus had more connection options? So I think I only have two options and wondering which is best.

- an HDMI splitter
- optical out of my TV to receiver

The receiver I am using does not have ARC, so connecting Roku directly to receiver is not an option.

Thanks.

You may run into HDCP issues when using a splitter.  I'm not sure, as I haven't tried it myself.  The optical out might be your best bet, but you may have to go into your TV and adjust "lip sync" or some similarly-named audio delay compensation setting.

If and when you are ready to upgrade your receiver and take advantage of ARC, I have had fantastic performance from my Denon AVR-S710W.  It's a 7.1 channel home theater receiver, but I just use it with a stereo pair.  The Audessey room compensation is really slick. 

=DENON]Accessories4Less sells these as factory refurbished for a significant discount.  Mine was in absolutely mint condition, and performed flawlessly in the 3.5 years I have owned it.

My model is discontinued, but this one appears to be the closest.  Or, if you don't need the extra channels, this one looks like it would be just as good.  I wouldn't get the $199 model just because the speaker connections are spring terminals instead of binding posts.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 07:52:16 AM »
Thanks Volt. For now I’m using the optical out from the Hitachi TV and it seems to work fine. I do see an upgrade in the future. I appreciate the links. My old Yamaha 661 is good but lacking ARC.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 06:57:29 AM »
Thanks Volt. For now I’m using the optical out from the Hitachi TV and it seems to work fine. I do see an upgrade in the future. I appreciate the links. My old Yamaha 661 is good but lacking ARC.

Glad the optical out works.  I always forget those ports are there on modern TVs!
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 02:16:57 PM »
Buy a new receiver with ARC.  Roku works flawlessly with ARC. 

I have my Roku working with an Amazon Echo/Alexa.  I say, "Alexa, turn on Roku".  Then suddenly:  my tv, receiver (arc), and roku all turn at once.  The Roku goes directly into SlingTV.  And I never touched a remote. lol 

Paisan, it's time to leave the 1990's.  lol

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 09:16:24 AM »

Glad the optical out works.  I always forget those ports are there on modern TVs!

Finally getting closer to selecting an HTR from the site you linked. Been watching it closely. They often sell out of the hot items, but quickly get more in. Marantz, Denon and Yamaha are the only choices. I’m kinda partial to Yamaha. Plenty of great choices in the three brands. One thing I noticed is none of them at any price point have any switched or unswitched outlets on the back panel. I always use one for my sub which is older and doesn’t have standby power. Not a big deal, but it’s always nice to have an amp with an outlet or two.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com