Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Former Edirol users now with M10s?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Former Edirol users now with M10s?
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
It was officially confirmed to me that my R-09HR has died, so I need a new deck. I've read the posts on here about the R-09HR vs. M10 and have a pretty decent idea of the feature sets.  My specific question is how hard "re-learning" the M10 has been for folks that used to use an R-09HR, especially in the dark.

These are the concerns I have:
1. REC knob. How hard is it to move?  I loved how the R-09HR could really and truly be locked. While I've been without it, I've been using a PMD660 that someone was kind enough to loan me. One thing I really dislike about that deck is every time I pick it up, I worry I will move the very sensitive REC knob.

2. REC buttons.  How do you start recording? Do you hit "REC" or "REC" and "PLAY"?  Another plus of the -09HR for me was the giant, idiot-proof REC button. Hard to miss that thing.

Having read all the posts, I know people like the huge battery life, and some like Sony in general, and many like the internal memory.  The battery life is worth something to me, but not if the deck is not as comfortable to use. 

I feel like I just want to buy an M10 because then I will feel like I got something "new" rather than what is really happening, which is I'm replacing a deck whose screen I cracked by not packing it properly. ... Not really a good reason to abandon an option I'm familiar with, but the M10 is obviously ahead, overall, in feature set (and anecdotally, in internal noise).

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Former Edirol users now with M10s?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:05:31 PM »
I don't really have any input on the m10 but what happened to your 09hr??

If I had a chance to buy another recorder, I would consider either the sony D50
or an edirol R44. I know those are two separate recorders in a class of their own but they have features what I like.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tekdroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »
These are the concerns I have:
1. REC knob. How hard is it to move?
Quite difficult. It's reassuringly stiff and doesn't stick out from the unit's top or bottom surfaces. No issue putting the unit in your pocket and the REC LEVEL dial moving, IMO (but I suppose that would depend on how tight your pocket is).

2. REC buttons.  How do you start recording? Do you hit "REC" or "REC" and "PLAY"?
Can do both. First option will leave you in Pause-Record. Second option will start recording immediately.

Another plus of the -09HR for me was the giant, idiot-proof REC button. Hard to miss that thing.

On the PCM-D50 it's quite easy to feel the recording button; it's slightly raised and flat while the others are more rounded and recessed; it has a totally different feel.

On the PCM-M10 this feeling is not so pronounced (the button is still slightly raised, though), but it's a simple case of getting used to the unit and it's easy to locate the REC button by feel; the buttons immediately under the LCD display have a concave bump and are hard-to-press, and it's simply a matter of feeling your way from the 'bump' of that strip of buttons (or more specifically the rightmost DISPLAY button on that strip) to locate the REC button by feel below it.

The PLAY button on the PCM-M10 also has a raised dot on it to make locating the rest of the buttons easily (such as Track Mark) by using that distinguishing tactile characteristic as a reference. PCM-D50 has the same raised dot on the PLAY button.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »
When if/my HR dies I'm getting another HR or whatever the next generation of R09 is out at the time.  Nothing I have seen thus far has sold me on the M10.

Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »
I have both, only used the M10 a couple of times, but so far I am enjoying the M10. 
The M10 is easy to use and so far I have not read anything about a unity recording setting... I almost feel like I am back to using my Sony DAT decks (and I am OK with that)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »
When if/my HR dies I'm getting another HR or whatever the next generation of R09 is out at the time.  Nothing I have seen thus far has sold me on the M10.

What he said  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 04:49:16 PM »
I don't really have any input on the m10 but what happened to your 09hr??

If I had a chance to buy another recorder, I would consider either the sony D50
or an edirol R44. I know those are two separate recorders in a class of their own but they have features what I like.
I kept the R-09HR in a relatively unpadded gear bag (just a messenger bag) and didn't have it in a protective case.  Something jostled around in there, and either my clamp or one of the other hard objects cracked the outer plastic that protects the screen (not the screen itself).  Then, a few days later, the screen just quit working.  It appears the impacts damaged one of the boards inside it -- the screen was actually fine.  Point is, I was an idiot not to pad the thing.

I probably will get a bigger deck like a 44, but I do like to run self mounted-style from time to time, so I still think I'll get good use out a new deck (and this time, a padded back and/or padded carry case). 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.165 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com