Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Three XLR channel recording MixPre 3  (Read 4644 times)

Offline patrickprice1975

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Three XLR channel recording MixPre 3
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »
This is awesome, thanks for all of the info!  I'm thinking a hyper in the middle facing the stage.. at least to test out.

Appreciate all of the feedback!

Graham

Tell Pat you need to borrow one of his newly acquired 41v's!

He doesn't even have them yet and I just text him to borrow one. Lol

I will just ship them right too you before I take them out of the box on Monday  :)
Schoeps MK-41v, Schoeps MK-22, Microtech Gefell M20
Nbox Platinum
Nbob Actives > Naint PFA
Mix-Pre 6ii

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Three XLR channel recording MixPre 3
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
  Will likely help to lowpass or EQ cut most of the higher frequencies from the rear-facing capsule to avoid picking up additional noise in that non-correlated frequency range which will not cancel out.
This can be done in post! I call for a new age of experimentation! #IAmNotBored
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's definitely a special situation thing.. cool if you can get it to work. Might try it if there is a generator or some other similar noise source directly behind you at an outdoor festival, or maybe a bad back wall reflection inside. 

I often EQ the rear-facing channel(s), but since in my case it/they are intended to provide extra dimension and space (rather than attempting rejection) I don't want to cut all that mid/high frequency stuff.  I just want it to sound natural and complement the main sound arriving from the front without conflict, with EQ and level set to taste.  When I use the same rear facing channel(s) for direct surround playback rather than a 2ch stereo mix, it can help to EQ so that I can raise the surround levels more without the front image being pulled around into the rear.  That takes the "EQ to make it natural sounding" thing a step further by cutting presence range somewhat more, typically ending up with something like a loudness curve.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com