Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do you pronounce Schoeps model names?  (Read 9933 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How do you pronounce Schoeps model names?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
Instead of bumping the one linked from 08, slight hijack since its clear how its pronounced in German, whether people want to adhere to that is up to them:

Gefell?

I thought it was (soft g) Ge-fell (like "Ge"-oregia), but have heard it pronounced "Jeff-el" (with emphasis on the 'Jeff').

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
It's clear, or it's not clear? I've never heard anything other than "guh-FELL", though tons of folks insist on doubling the F for whatever reason.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
are they actually pronounced "sheps,"?  I always thought it was something along the lines of "shoops"

The correct way to say Schoeps is EXPENSIVE AS HELL :) ;D 8)

lol that works too

I pronounce them as "Shopes"

I was listening to ZMan's pull of Phish at SPAC 2010 and at the end I distinctly remember hearing "sheps" along with the KFC/ZFC/AARP business lol

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »

I was listening to ZMan's pull of Phish at SPAC 2010 and at the end I distinctly remember hearing "sheps" along with the KFC/ZFC/AARP business lol

and this is why the Germans laugh at us. just saying

It's clear, or it's not clear? I've never heard anything other than "guh-FELL", though tons of folks insist on doubling the F for whatever reason.

kangfirmed. hard-g. I just asked the German speaker in my office.

edit: (added bold)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:54:53 AM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »

kangfirmed. hard-g. I just asked the German speaker in my office.

edit: (added bold)
Dude, You talk to your speakers??? :laugh:

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
The correct way to say Schoeps is EXPENSIVE AS HELL :) ;D 8)

>:D >:D >:D
Bruel & Kjaer 4011 
DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A
MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2)
Lunatec V3 (x2)
Apogee Mini MP 

Sonic AD2K+

Edirol R44
SD 722
Microtrack 24/96 (x4) Great for DAT transfers - $50.00

Teddy Gak XLR's
Audio Magic Sorcerer
Audio Magic Hyperconductor

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »

Actually, Americans laugh at the Germans too (those lederhosen really are pretty funny looking), so I guess we're equally amused by each other.

No really, the pronunciation is not clear at all.  If you listen to the link that DSatz posted, the pronunciation is clearly 'SHOPES', but if you listen to the link that Hi and Lo posted, Helmut Wittek clearly says 'SHEPS' so apparently even the Germans within the company don't agree on the pronunciation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:01:27 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

No really, the pronunciation is not clear at all.

That's because there is no clear English pronouciation... 

ö (oh-umlaut) – The word "umlaut" means "change in sound" and an umlauted 'o' changes to a sound with no equivalent in English. An easy way to get this sound is to think of it as the 'u' in the British word 'murder'. Commonly, the 'long ö' is made by first sounding 'oo' as in moon, then pursing the lips as if to whistle, and changing the sound to 'a' as in 'late'. An example word is schön (beautiful). The 'short ö' sound is made by first sounding 'oo', pursing the lips, and changing the sound to 'e' as in 'pet. A 'short ö' sounds actually very similar to the 'i' in 'sir'. An example word is zwölf (twelve). If you have problems pronouncing ö, do not replace it by "o" but by "e" (as in elf) like in many German dialects. In written and printed German, 'oe' can be an acceptable substitute for 'ö' if the latter is unavailable.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/German/Appendices/Alphabet

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 10:39:25 PM »
Click, click, bloody click. I want pancakes.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:01 PM »
I just asked the German speaker in my office.

Dude, You talk to your speakers??? :laugh:

Dude, you don't?  :o

I can see the cone smiling at me when I ask it questions....  :spin:  ;D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »

ö (oh-umlaut) – The word "umlaut" means "change in sound" and an umlauted 'o' changes to a sound with no equivalent in English. An easy way to get this sound is to think of it as the 'u' in the British word 'murder'. Commonly, the 'long ö' is made by first sounding 'oo' as in moon, then pursing the lips as if to whistle, and changing the sound to 'a' as in 'late'. An example word is schön (beautiful). The 'short ö' sound is made by first sounding 'oo', pursing the lips, and changing the sound to 'e' as in 'pet. A 'short ö' sounds actually very similar to the 'i' in 'sir'. An example word is zwölf (twelve). If you have problems pronouncing ö, do not replace it by "o" but by "e" (as in elf) like in many German dialects. In written and printed German, 'oe' can be an acceptable substitute for 'ö' if the latter is unavailable.

Terry

Not really Terry.  I understand that Americans butcher the pronunciation of an umlaut. 

My point was that it doesn't matter if you listen in English or German, the two Germans pronounce it different from each other, so it's not Americans that are butchering the pronunciation of the word that's the reason that the name gets pronounced differently.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »

Terry

Not really Terry.  I understand that Americans butcher the pronunciation of an umlaut. 

My point was that it doesn't matter if you listen in English or German, the two Germans pronounce it different from each other, so it's not Americans that are butchering the pronunciation of the word that's the reason that the name gets pronounced differently.

Germans have different dialects, which have slightly different syntax, spelling, word-usage, and pronouciation...  It took me by surprise when I was there, that my girlfriend (from northern germany) had a hard time understanding one of her friends (way southern germany very close to france) when she got drunk...  But then again, I live in Raleigh, NC and have a hard time understanding my cousin's husband when he is drunk.  He's from Lillington, about 2 hours south of here, and they have a VERY strong accent there... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
How does one pronounce  Bruel & Kjaer ?

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »
How does one pronounce  Bruel & Kjaer ?

Simple. Danish Pro Audio.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com