Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Converting Schoeps KC5 cables to separate KCY and AK I cables  (Read 29929 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Converting Schoeps KC5 cables to separate KCY and AK I cables
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
This is a project I'm genuinely interested in making happen. As I see it, I can purchase the genuine Schoeps junction boxes from Vark and 5-pin Binder connectors from Binder to convert a single pair of KC5 cables into separate KCY and AK I cables at a significant cost savings. I could also optimize the cable length of any unbalanced runs I make between capsule and cmc body, so I do see a minor benefit in that area, assuming proper shielding at connectors between the two cables.

So, my questions are:

1) Has anyone done this before and would there by any considerations I am overlooking? Other than identifying a correct value for the capacitor inside the junction box on the KCY (we know Vark omits this; unsure if a genuine AK I cable would have one), it seems this conversion is nothing more than a trivial re-wiring job.
2) Can anyone explain why using a KCY + AK I combo it results in a +5dB increase in sensitivity? Why would this not be the case when using a straight KC5 between the capsule and CMC body?

TIA for any useful info!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Converting Schoeps KC5 cables to separate KCY and AK I cables
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »
Call redding directly - they can sell you parts (only parts) and have already put a list of required parts - as I asked them to do this for me in the past.  I never followed through as I ended up selling my beater KC5's before I decided to pull the trigger.

I would think the best route to go is to take a KS5i and KC5 pair + additional parts to make this happen. 

I don't know exactly why there is a +5 db increase in a real KCY>AKI setup - maybe the circuit is slightly different
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
Neat idea for sure. I wonder if my KCY>Lemosax setup has a +5 increase in sensitivity ???

And lets not forget that SchoepsNBox can make you a cable to go from mkxx>nbox cable>pfa>any +48v preamp ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
Neat idea for sure. I wonder if my KCY>Lemosax setup has a +5 increase in sensitivity ???

it's something in the AK setup as far as I can tell, thats where they mention the signal differences in their online literature.

paging mr.satz.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
But arent trhe AKI cables just binder>binder extensions ??? Because I had Robb make me a 15' KCY Binder>Binder extension. Isnt that the same thing ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
But arent trhe AKI cables just binder>binder extensions ??? Because I had Robb make me a 15' KCY Binder>Binder extension. Isnt that the same thing ???

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/aki2c

it's the binder > cmc body piece.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
And lets not forget that SchoepsNBox can make you a cable to go from mkxx>nbox cable>pfa>any +48v preamp ;)

Any idea what he is charging for just the nbox cables?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »

Any idea what he is charging for just the nbox cables?

Uh, is he even offering that?  Just because he can doesn't mean he will.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:51:43 AM »
The NBox/PFA solution is amazing, no question about it. But reagardless of whether or not they are available individually, the better question to be asking is how well the solution will work using genuine Schoeps made cables. Solutions I can think of include...

- A custom made PFA for the KCY cable. Will cost about $200 to do it right with genuine Schoeps colette cable and a junction box, but will be the most incredibly useful cable ever and will be build to last a lifetime.

- Unterminated MK connectors and having them hard-wired to individual PFAs. This solution would be like having two "CCM" microphones, but with interchangeable cables. Completely badass if you ask me and probably a good bit cheaper than the KCY solution because there are no junction boxes or Binder connectors. This also allows you to run each channel individually and, of course, directly into any mixer or recorder with p48.

- If you've got a complete KC 5 cable, you could also just hack it in half and run into individual PFA's using Binder or Mini XLR connectors while still being able to run with CMC bodies as a complete KC 5 cable. That's a lot like Nola has his active cables setup and is pretty ingenious.

I think I may very well have to be the guinea pig on some of this stuff. Very curious to know if there are any noticeable performance differences between the KCY and Nbox FET designs when used with the PFA. If the standard Schoeps works as well as the Nbox variant, it's certainly the more accessible option.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:38 AM »
Given that I've already got a Vark KCY and various extension cables- I'd love a PFA solution. My Sense was that Jon wasn't interested in doing that.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
The NBox/PFA solution is amazing, no question about it. But reagardless of whether or not they are available individually, the better question to be asking is how well the solution will work using genuine Schoeps made cables. Solutions I can think of include...

- A custom made PFA for the KCY cable. Will cost about $200 to do it right with genuine Schoeps colette cable and a junction box, but will be the most incredibly useful cable ever and will be build to last a lifetime.

- Unterminated MK connectors and having them hard-wired to individual PFAs. This solution would be like having two "CCM" microphones, but with interchangeable cables. Completely badass if you ask me and probably a good bit cheaper than the KCY solution because there are no junction boxes or Binder connectors. This also allows you to run each channel individually and, of course, directly into any mixer or recorder with p48.

- If you've got a complete KC 5 cable, you could also just hack it in half and run into individual PFA's using Binder or Mini XLR connectors while still being able to run with CMC bodies as a complete KC 5 cable. That's a lot like Nola has his active cables setup and is pretty ingenious.

I think I may very well have to be the guinea pig on some of this stuff. Very curious to know if there are any noticeable performance differences between the KCY and Nbox FET designs when used with the PFA. If the standard Schoeps works as well as the Nbox variant, it's certainly the more accessible option.

The MK connectors wired to a PFA would be awesome!!  I'm not sure Jon would offer this, but wouldn't hurt to ask so I sent an email to see if this is possible.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:12:07 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
I don't know exactly why there is a +5 db increase in a real KCY>AKI setup - maybe the circuit is slightly different

The bodies are balanced, the KCY is not.  That explains +4 dB.  I believe the cmc5/6 may add an additional 1dB of gain, but am uncertain.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
Where would you be able to purchse MK connectors??  Vark Audio or would there be a better place.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Where would you be able to purchse MK connectors??  Vark Audio or would there be a better place.

If I were going to do this, I'd contact three places; Redding, Posthorn, and Vark. We know Vark can make them, not sure on the others although they do sell all the little pieces and parts needed to do it. Other than skipping the junction box and binder plug, I'm not sure what else you'd get for a price reduction, the rest of the cable is the same as a KCY. $100 discount maybe? Better than nothing, especially given the following:

If I had separate access to the "power" (drain) pins of each KC, then the PFA could be balanced input.  The KCY has the drains wired together so that's not possible.  The PFA output is always balanced, and you get +6dB from that.

One of the most facinating aspects of this would be the potential to have long cmc-less runs. Have your unballanced section be like 3', put the PFA and then a long balanced run back to wherever you need. Not sure it would be much lower profile than just running bodies since you end up with 2 full sized XLR barrels for the adaptors (hanging, nearby, somewhere), but if you don't have bodies, it would make a nice temp solution if you need a long run.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 10:36:38 AM »
Posthorn has MK Connectors listed:

KC Cap End   KC-- Capsule-side complete only, no cable.   $296.00

Someone would need to inquire with Jerry or Redding about what you actually get when you purchase one of these; I assume if there is no cable, then it probably is not assembled as well. Nevertheless, raw colette cable is $8/ft meter and I'm sure Vark would wire them up at reasonable prices. Is it a savings? I dunno... you'll probably get bigger savings simply by finding a lightly used pair of KC 5s and chopping them in half.

I just paid Jon for the first to KCY/KC PFAs. He's sending them to me unterminated and I will buy bulk colette cable and a junction box to make the first KCY PFA. This should be a fun experiment! :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:16:10 PM by hi and lo »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com