Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBD recording help  (Read 1874 times)

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
SBD recording help
« on: October 02, 2004, 05:56:16 PM »
I was wondering if I could get some help with a few soundboard recordings. They both have the same basic problem, but the result is different. The vocals on both are very high, but the other stuff (drums, bass, etc) are lower. On one of the recordings, this is fine, but I would like to fix it so it sounds more even. For the second one, there is some drum echo on it. It seems that the drums is the worst amplified on this recording. I am guessing that for both I would need to some equalizing. I have looked at the equalizing process in Soundforge 6.0, but I have no clue where to start. Any help would be great :D.

Jarod
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline ChoobieWoobie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • that's a f*cking sine wave!
    • The Mighty T!
Re: SBD recording help
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 02:03:12 PM »
You can't do too much to it.  The reason is that even though it's a soundboard recording, everything has been mixed down to 2 channels (stereo).  Because of this, you can't just lower the vocals or drums, you'd have to lower everything.  I'd recommend trying to use a multi-band software compressor and maybe a leveler if it's too hot.  Also doing some eq'ing would probably help too.  Good luck!
Oktava MC-012 (pair) > Monster Cables > Denecke PS-2 > M1

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 01:55:02 AM »
yeah, this is the problem with a lot of sbds especially ones in smaller venues.  the stage volume from the amps and drums is loud enuf that they don't have to run much thru the pa, so the pa is mostly vocals...making for really loud vocals and quiet other instruments.  I'd try the compressor, but i don't think theres much you can do.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 09:00:42 PM »
I just remastered a SBD recording for someone. The original had very similar problems to the ones you're having. I use Wavelab 5.0....pretty similar to SF. My main adjustments were EQ. Raising the bass range and slightly raising the mid. I also raised the master levels and applied some stereo expansion. If you want you can check out the end product @ http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=8722&dllist=1#seeders

If you like what you hear, I can send you detailed notes on my editing and see what I can do to help. Send me a PM or email @ carraway2@hotmail.com.   Hope I can help out in some way.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 09:55:49 PM »
If you have a realtime eq feature on your software (I know my wavelab essential does) you can experiment a little in realtime and see what works.  I have also had some luck messing around with the "karaoake" processing feature.  This uses eq to lower the vocal range.  By doing this you may be able to better ballance the mix, but some recordings are just hopeless.  Compression may help as well but use it sparingly... it can bring a lot of that sbd fuz right up to your ears, but a little may help ballance it out a bit.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com