Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam HS-P82  (Read 47227 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: tascam HS-P82
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2013, 12:58:45 AM »
saturday is the maiden voyage; borrowing like 6 mics, cables, and a fuxt-ton of stuff from chris so I can run all 8 channels. Might even run 10 with the usbpre2 if I can find a cart to haul it all (it's like 6 blocks from here, I'd spend more time finding parking).  ;D

It's not bad, I think it will serve me well, and between the two of us, it should get some use.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »
saturday is the maiden voyage; borrowing like 6 mics, cables, and a fuxt-ton of stuff from chris so I can run all 8 channels. Might even run 10 with the usbpre2 if I can find a cart to haul it all (it's like 6 blocks from here, I'd spend more time finding parking).  ;D

It's not bad, I think it will serve me well, and between the two of us, it should get some use.

please explain the how you plan to record 2 extra channels with the usbpre2.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »

The usbpre2 will take an incoming digital audio signal and treat it as a word-clock signal and clock against it. Set it to accept analog in on it's path setting and send the resulting ADC output to the digi-outs and take my pcm-d50. I used to do it with my 722 to run 4ch.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »

The usbpre2 will take an incoming digital audio signal and treat it as a word-clock signal and clock against it. Set it to accept analog in on it's path setting and send the resulting ADC output to the digi-outs and take my pcm-d50. I used to do it with my 722 to run 4ch.

gotcha. you are going to love the mixing feature down to stereo 2 track. I use a pair of etymotic research HF5's for isolation when dialing in the mix. I also engage all the limiters just in case.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
gotcha. you are going to love the mixing feature down to stereo 2 track. I use a pair of etymotic research HF5's for isolation when dialing in the mix. I also engage all the limiters just in case.

I'm tempted to throw the mixdown into the equation next time and just see if I can actually just get all this setup the first time. Went ahead and got the project pre-created last night so it's fire it up, turn on p48 and the limiters and go. Actually, thats why I'm shying away from using the usbpre2 this time; this is already more complex than I'm accustomed to.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
ooo, the metadata marker records are pulled in and interpreted correctly in Reaper. I can see the marker where I hit record vs the pre-record area. I need to re-read that section and see what my options are for markers now that they have actual use.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
yes - you can just hit the "mark" button during the recording and it lays down markers for post processing -  I have been doing this since I bought it to make tracking easier in post.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
yes - you can just hit the "mark" button during the recording and it lays down markers for post processing -  I have been doing this since I bought it to make tracking easier in post.

For the last couple years, I haven't had the luxury of being able to be near my recorder on a consistent basis, and last night was no exception, so it's auto-markers or bust for the foreseeable future. Still a cool feature, I don't recall that sort of stuff being in the format that Reaper will automatically interpret when I ran a 722. There's like three conditions that will auto mark I think, gotta go back and read the manual.

I also engage all the limiters just in case.

I'm glad you mentioned that as I had forgotten to engage them and then went back and turned them all on before the set started and that saved my hide on 3 of the 8 channels. One of the direct outs spazed for a second and I ran a set of cmc6 bodies and mk5s on stage (as spots in card mode) and even with the -25db pad and 0db of gain, I still engaged the limiters every now and then. Is there any way to run a line-in setting for the pad and still have p48? I tried flipping the switch to line and all signal goes to zip so I'm assuming no. Haven't done extensive testing though.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:37 AM »
Im sooooo jealous yinz guys ;D Page, cant wait to hear a DPA Shotguns>hsp82 recording ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
So when doing card mirroring, do you format both cards and create the dupe project on both? I did a quick format last time on both and wasnt able to see the former contents disappear. Did it a couple of times, had to delete the project and then do the format. What did I do wrong?

edit: it works if I just do one card and remove the other one.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:11:45 PM by page »

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
The project on the mirrored card is created automatically when you start recording.  Things get confusing if you pre-populate both cards.
Start with the 2nd card completely empty, go to your first card and start a project as if there was no 2nd card in there.

Tom.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
The project on the mirrored card is created automatically when you start recording.  Things get confusing if you pre-populate both cards.
Start with the 2nd card completely empty, go to your first card and start a project as if there was no 2nd card in there.

if I do a quick erase on the second card but don't create the project (just cancel out), then it shows the old project still there, but empty. Will this erase when I start the recording? The bummer for testing purposes is I rarely have the second card in my possession since two of us split the rig and he walks away with the extra card at the end of the night and I get it back like the day before we go out. I may borrow one of my better half's CF cards and play around with it one evening.

I've been able to create the same project on both cards and that works, but getting rid of the project seems to be my difficulty.

(oh, and I'm fairly sure I'm on firmware 1.20)

tomuo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
There may be an empty/phantom project on the 2nd card from the previous recording, but when you start recording in the new project,
it will create the necessary files on the 2nd card to duplicate the project on the first (with the correct names).

I usually format the 2nd card, switch to the 1st card, turn on Mirroring, then do a format on the 1st and go straight into creating
the new project.

If you're having other problems with the contents of the 2nd CF, please contact TASCAM via the webpage and we'll go into it deeper.

Tom.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
I think it's ok, I just need to retrace my steps. I suspect it's something I'm doing while setting up.

One semantic I'd like clarification on (no rush, just curious): Do people turn off mirror, format the second card, then turn it back on when formatting the primary card?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Ok, so what did I do wrong this time?

Have both cards in, both had more than sufficient space. I create a new project, and verify that I can select it in the project screen. I see in the recording info section that I have that project "selected". I hit record and it dumps everything in the old project folders. I tried three times last night to get it to go to the new project folder, no dice.

So how do you select the new project if you still have other content on the card? I'm going to play with it tonight, but if anyone has any pointers, I'd love to know, thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com