Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SACD/DVD-A over optical TosLink or Coax SPDIF possible with OPPO DV-980H?  (Read 14809 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
I purchased a Yamaha RXV663 receiver and discovered my 5 disc Sony dvd player does not allow the coax SPDIF connection to pass a digital signal to my receiver when playing a SACD.  I'm in the market for a new DVD player and have my eyes on the OPPO DV-980H and was wondering if I'll run into the same bullshit, any thoughts?
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
SACD is not PCM audio, so your player can't pass a digital pcm signal unless it converts it to one

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
DSD (e.g. from a SACD) may be passed from *some* players to *some* converters (including some in A/V receivers) via an HDMI connection.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline George

DSD (e.g. from a SACD) may be passed from *some* players to *some* converters (including some in A/V receivers) via an HDMI connection.

-Noah

Thanks, with this I googled and found that the 980 does support SACD over HDMI if: "NOTE: DVD-Audio and SACD playback can be accessed by either the 5.1 Channel analog or HDMI outputs (provided you have an AV receiver with HDMI 1.2 input capability)."

Link: http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdproductreviews/gr/oppoDV980short.htm

My new receiver is HDMI 1.3, sweet! 

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
I may be off base, but it's my understanding that the 1.2 or 1.3 HDMI spec is only for the amount of data it can send, not that it will decode a RAW 1bit stream. There is nothing I have seen on the receiver you noted that says it is capable of doing this, only that it is capable of receiving that much data...in other words I see no mention of 1bit data, DSD, or SACD. I would be shocked if you just happened to purchase a receiver with 1bit capabilities without specifically looking, they are pretty rare and usually have Sony written on them.

That said you will likely be more than happy just using the 5.1 analog outs on the OPPO, and, well, going analog...that is how the majority of folks I know listen to DSD/SACD including myself.

Offline George

I may be off base, but it's my understanding that the 1.2 or 1.3 HDMI spec is only for the amount of data it can send, not that it will decode a RAW 1bit stream. There is nothing I have seen on the receiver you noted that says it is capable of doing this, only that it is capable of receiving that much data...in other words I see no mention of 1bit data, DSD, or SACD. I would be shocked if you just happened to purchase a receiver with 1bit capabilities without specifically looking, they are pretty rare and usually have Sony written on them.

That said you will likely be more than happy just using the 5.1 analog outs on the OPPO, and, well, going analog...that is how the majority of folks I know listen to DSD/SACD including myself.

ah ok, makes sense I suppose.  I'll admit I'm a newb when it comes to SACD capabilities and was miffed that I couldn't just send a digital/optical signal to my receiver for decoding. 

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Keep in mind, I am no expert on it, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone proved me wrong on every point I made :P...but that is my understanding of it...I just didn't want you to go pulling the trigger on a bunch of gear that may not perform as you expected, without at least hearing that it may not work based on what I've read(and remember) about it. I guess my point is/was just to do a little more investigating on it before purchases are made, that's all.
Times change and new things hit the market, and I haven't investigated this stuff in over a year now, so more progress may have been made on the whole 1bit digital stream thing than I am aware...

That looks like a very nice player though.

If I'm not mistaken "Nick's Pick's" may have some sort of DSD/SACD playback setup, or did at one point, he may be a good one to speak with on this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com