Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MME Note  (Read 7705 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
MME Note
« on: September 28, 2002, 08:17:54 PM »
Hey just something to consider with the MME and the internal calibration controls... gotta have a metric allen wrench to get inside!  

So I've used mine in the field and in the studio.  I'm having mixed results.  I cant tell how I feel about it yet.  So far I'm thinking I might want to put a Sonosax in front of it.  That or an OADE brick.  Strangely enough I prefer the AD1000 pre...

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
Re:MME Note
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2002, 11:57:49 AM »
have you been able to shoot them out? I ws wondering how you would control gain when I first saw the front of the mme. I was pretty close to selling the AD1000 but I wanted to wait to hear the reviews....

thanks for posting
Bri

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2002, 06:26:22 PM »
I thought it was a 1/16" allen wrench that was needed... but it's probably very close to another metric size :)

The jumpers are VERY easy to change out.  Even though they're easy, I would still suggest that the vendors who cater to the taping scene change the jumpers as a "service" to their customers :)  The jumpers have no effect whatsoever when using the Mini-Me as a standalone A/D in line-in mode, only when running mic-in will it even matter.

As far as the preamp, I'm not sold on it either.  I need to do some A/B comparisons with the AD1000.  

Anyone ever run mics > xlr splitter > 2 preamps?  Like, CMC64V > XLR splitter > minime + ad1000.  I'd guess that there'd be a phantom power issue... although batteries wired in parallel still give the same voltage, just increased current.    I plan to do some CMC64V > V2/MP-2 > XLR splitter > minime + ad1000 as well... maybe throw in a sonosax too, I know a punk kid who has one ;)

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2002, 06:56:25 PM »
not sure how mics do when you split them and send +48V Phantom accross pin 2 &3. I am curious what would happen, but have never tried it... but me too! This would also be another good ? for the Oadies...

Bri
« Last Edit: September 30, 2002, 06:57:02 PM by Bri »

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2002, 07:04:57 PM »
i would also like to do a test, mics>V3>ad1000, minime, as well as V3 ad>DAT, curious as to how that thing will stand up to apogee's proven killer A/D converters.  stay tuned for the results as soon as it gets here.  

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 11:30:46 PM »
I don't believe you can bypass the AD stage on the v3 hence making it odd to use it with another AD convertor... but correct me if im wrong.

Offline CrazyED

• Taperssection Member
  • w00ks.org
    • My Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 11:56:57 PM »
Well...the thing does have Analog XLR outs.  You think it would go analog>digital>analog, doesnt seem practical?  I'm no gear junky but I dont see what the point of the analog outs would be if you couldnt avoid the A>D in the V3.  Wouldnt you think that'd by-pass the A>D?  So V3>AD of your choice should be very possible.  Just a thought....

Picture of the rear panel at the url below.  

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/V3/V3_frameset.htm
Gear: Canon 350D, Canon 430EX, Canon 10-22mm/3.5, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 24-70mm/2.8, Canon 70-200mm/2.8 IS

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2002, 12:25:32 AM »
It's definately possible to bypass the a/d in the V3.  There is even a note about bypassing it to save battery power on the specs page.  

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2002, 12:36:02 AM »
yeah thats one opf the exciting thing, as well as having all outs hot at the same time.  cant wait personally.  we know the pre in that thing is killer, just hoping for the same quality out of the a/d.  i hope they nail it.

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2002, 01:03:27 AM »
OK so next question- if Grace kept the pre the same why wouldnt you just go V2 > mme and save yourself some cash?

Jonny

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2002, 03:17:45 AM »
the cost of a V2 is what 1200 new, or was, and a mme=1300 or 1400.  add that together.  far more than the V3 itself @ 1500.  not to mention saving space in your bag.  i would want to do these tests to see if grace came up with an a/d  good enough to meet or beat apogee, therefore elimating the need for my ad1000.  still wont ever get rid of that thing.  like part of the family or something like that.  i dont think you can beat old technology.  but i hope that grace will.  

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2002, 09:20:14 AM »
It's tough to beat the refrence! ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com