Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery box for Nbox ***finished product***01-19-12  (Read 8727 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: nbox battery pack
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
Other than due dilligence and since both negative and positive terminals are RCA, what is preventing you from accidentally connecting them in reverse polarity?

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
^^ not sure what u  mean?  center pin is + and outter ring is NEG.  dont know how plugging them in can cause reverse polarity?  ed
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:12:29 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
Bah.. I'm posting too early in the AM. You are right!

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
^^^^ hahhaaaahhaahh.  u sound like me!!!!!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 12:18:32 AM »
Well, how long did it last ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
I can see the usefullness of this auxilary box for long term taping assignments.  I have some questions about the connection to the NBox.  I assume all those Rechargeables are connected to the dual pair of 9v connectors.  Is that done on the fly, or did you work with Nick to make something?

Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
had a cable glitch, but all good now.  thought it was a battery prob, so lost tons of time testing.  should have times up soon.  ed

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
I can see the usefullness of this auxilary box for long term taping assignments.  I have some questions about the connection to the NBox.  I assume all those Rechargeables are connected to the dual pair of 9v connectors.  Is that done on the fly, or did you work with Nick to make something?

yes, 4 seperate batteries and 4 seperate 9v snap connectors.  good friends with nick, and we have been in contact with each other a few times about my BB.  he is watching the process and seems to like the idea, but has no real input other than making sure its wired right.  i wired stright forward without shareing ground wires like the nbox does.  makes it easier for me ( less thinking!!! :P )  not done on the fly, was going to make on years ago but i never got a nbox till now, and a friend of mine sold his so i stopped thinking about till now.  i see there was some guys looking at a 2 battery system for the nbox.  that could work, but not as easy or " neat " looking.  the 3 wire side of the nbox is 9v and 9v ( change every show )  the other side is 2 9v's in series for 18v ( change every other show side )  the 9v 9v side useds more juice as 2 seperate 9v's that the 18v side, hence the change every show.  so one big 9v and one 18v may work, but was nothing i gave thought too or asked nick how to wire that. 
 i use 4 9.6v batts just like the ones u put in the nbox but with more mah.  from 230mah too  2100mah!!!    ed

*** also, changed the topic name to BB for nbox, instead of nbox battery box, as not to confuse peeps into thinking its a nbox product, but nick knows i'm not trying to do that, ed ************
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:41:50 PM by ero3030 »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
i use 4 9.6v batts just like the ones u put in the nbox but with more mah.  from 230mah too  2100mah!!!    ed

Well, they are a different type of chemistry and construction.  The internal resistance of the cells is likely different from 9 volt's.

That will all likely work Just Fine, because there are no noisy regulators involved.  But sonic testing is still a good idea. 

Batteries are a chemical reaction, and the rate of that reaction can induce noise in the power they produce.  I don't know anything about the discharge noise characteristics of these batteries when used in a low-current application like this.  But it is a very low current application compared to what those packs are typically used for.

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Battery box for Nbox
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
i've ran rc packs for all diff kinds of pre's and recorders.  never had a prob and dont see one here.  looks like i'll only need one battery for festy season starting in april for me!! i'll have a very small gear bag for a big weekend of taping.  going to be kind!   ed
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:01:36 PM by ero3030 »

Offline ero3030

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Battery box for Nbox ***finished product***01-19-12
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 05:58:36 PM »
here r the pic's of the finished product.  still need more time testing, but not in the mood right now.  got 16hrs last time with batts not dying, so i'm happy for now, but now that the batteries got cycled, i will run it hard for my own piece of mind.  i put velcro on both sides of the BB for easy mounting of the nbox, and this way it keeps the new rca's nice, short and clean looking.  too change battery sides, just unplug the rca's, flip the BB over and mount the nbox and plug in the rca's again.  had to notch out the nbox for the cable leads.  not a big deal for me, but maybe for others.  its only a 25$$ box that can easly be changed out, but the 4 little notches r hardly noticable with the lid on and no leads coming out of the nbox.  the new rca's were a custom job and a bit over kill, but happy with the end results. Happy building!!!!!!    ed

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »
Damn, VERY NICE ED!

Looks great! If I ever get an NBox+, I'll be sure to look you up ;) Thats PERFECT for festie season :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
I wonder if there is any risk of the external cables (and batteries) acting as a path for RF to enter the nbox?  Is the bbox plastic or metal?

It might be useful to do a test where you wave something.... a phone, an electric shaver... around it, with and without the power box, to check for interference.  As a control, it might be necessary to test with the nbox cover off too, in order to verify that the noise generating test sources actually have the ability to generate interference.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com