Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which?

DA-p1
0 (0%)
JB3
11 (35.5%)
D8
6 (19.4%)
D100
4 (12.9%)
M1
8 (25.8%)
other?
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Whats the best newbie recorder idea  (Read 8893 times)

Offline geoff piper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
Whats the best newbie recorder idea
« on: June 02, 2003, 04:19:33 PM »
I'm bored here at work and can not for the life of me decide on which recorder I want to get. So I'm asking your help. Most likely I'll have a UA-5 in front of it dont know which mod yet.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Whats the best newbie recorder idea
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 04:25:42 PM »
With a UA5 in front, I personally would give the JB3 a shot.  Most of the problem reports I've seen indicate the JB3 has problems with certain devices, especially if there's a repeater/converter device between the ADC and the JB3.  Loads of info in the archives on that one.  
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 04:46:22 PM »
go laptop!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 05:07:28 PM »
go laptop!
im getting one towards the end of the year. A new powerbook, but i dont want to bring one into a show where drunk people are. they have the idea thats its cool to steal or damage stuff out in the open. where as a dat or hd recorder can be tucked away inside a bag.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 05:25:17 PM »
yeah that's a risk we take for being able to run 24-bit...personally i've had good fortune shining on me thus far and haven't had anything stolen or spilled on...i did have some chick walk right on top of my laptop one night at the fox though!  for some reason, that night everybody seemed to think that you could walk behind the board and come out on the other side of the floor, guess nobody could see the railing on the other end of the section!  that's at the fox in boulder, btw.
so, aside from the laptop, or a minidisc, i don't have any experience with those devices.  i'm hearing more and more about recording with the jb3, and that would allow easy transfer to a computer for tracking etc. so that may be a good option.  if you're not going to be using a computer in the mix at all, just a standalone burner, probably any dat would do it for you.  since you're concerned with size a portability go for a smaller one.  there's been a lot of d7/d8's on ebay lately, and even some m1's and d100's for decent prices...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 05:50:13 PM »
yeah that's a risk we take for being able to run 24-bit...personally i've had good fortune shining on me thus far and haven't had anything stolen or spilled on...i did have some chick walk right on top of my laptop one night at the fox though!  for some reason, that night everybody seemed to think that you could walk behind the board and come out on the other side of the floor, guess nobody could see the railing on the other end of the section!  that's at the fox in boulder, btw.
so, aside from the laptop, or a minidisc, i don't have any experience with those devices.  i'm hearing more and more about recording with the jb3, and that would allow easy transfer to a computer for tracking etc. so that may be a good option.  if you're not going to be using a computer in the mix at all, just a standalone burner, probably any dat would do it for you.  since you're concerned with size a portability go for a smaller one.  there's been a lot of d7/d8's on ebay lately, and even some m1's and d100's for decent prices...
yea i would be doing dat or HD> CPU by way of either a soundcard or an emagic 2|6 or similar.  And when i get my laptop i will do shows with it where i know my gear will be protected. ie. a friends band where i can take control of the situation.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 06:37:57 PM »
Laptops aren't bad if you don't have to use the computer itself to set levels, etc. On my powerbook, I set it up at the beginning of the show, hit record, then all levels are controlled via my pre/ADC. I can tuck the laptop under my stand for protection. If I could run the thing closed (I know, there's a mod, I just don't want to do it), I could just leave it in the bag and only have my pre/ADC out. I wish I could run everything in bag, but that probably won't happen until HD recorders are out there and tiny.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 07:25:36 PM »
i'm going to be taping my first show ever in about 3 weeks.  
gonna be running akg 300's > UA-5 > JB3.
can't beat the JB3.  you can find them new for like $200 on ebay.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 04:36:41 AM »
go modua5> jb3........from what i hear.... ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 11:30:45 AM »
While I voted for the M1, I have to say that for somebody starting out I am very hesitant to recommend DAT. As much as it pains me to say this, DAT is on it's last legs. Partly due to new technology and partly due to manufacturers no longer seeing a lot of value in them. If they last another 5 years I'd be surprised. That's not to say I won't be running my recorders/players until they die, but with all the new technology right around the bend, it would shock me if DATs still out numbered other recording media at shows.

Laptops? While I can pick up a laptop cheaper than most since I work for a computer manufacturer, I still can't see myself taking one to a show (at least not to the clubs where I tape a large portion of my stuff).

The thing I'm really waiting for is a nice portable hard drive recorder that won't break the bank. I honestly think we'll start seeing these things come down in price over the next couple of years.

Personally, we somebody new wants to get into taping, I initially recommend they use a MD recorder and patch out of folks. This way they can get a good idea of the gear used, and they don't have to mortgage the house to get into taping (OK, most don't own a house, but...). If somebody just wants to dive head first into taping and really wants a DAT deck, then I'll recommend the M1. But, as I see it the writing is on the wall.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2003, 11:40:55 AM »
I initially recommend they use a MD recorder and patch out of folks.

I think that with the limited "disc" length (80 or 99 minutes?), lossy compression format, and no ability to transfer the audio to a computer (that I know of) would make MD a poor choice.  

Unless I'm mistaken the MiniDiscs have a sort of "firewall" that prevents the ATRAC audio data on the discs from being accessed directly by computer.

A Nomad Jukebox 3 on the other hand saves music as uncompressed WAV's, can record for 2 hours straight (maybe more?) and provides a very easy transfer of the audio files to the PC.

Wayne can I have a free laptop? ;)
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2003, 11:45:07 AM »
While I voted for the M1, I have to say that for somebody starting out I am very hesitant to recommend DAT. As much as it pains me to say this, DAT is on it's last legs. Partly due to new technology and partly due to manufacturers no longer seeing a lot of value in them. If they last another 5 years I'd be surprised. That's not to say I won't be running my recorders/players until they die, but with all the new technology right around the bend, it would shock me if DATs still out numbered other recording media at shows.

Laptops? While I can pick up a laptop cheaper than most since I work for a computer manufacturer, I still can't see myself taking one to a show (at least not to the clubs where I tape a large portion of my stuff).

The thing I'm really waiting for is a nice portable hard drive recorder that won't break the bank. I honestly think we'll start seeing these things come down in price over the next couple of years.

Personally, we somebody new wants to get into taping, I initially recommend they use a MD recorder and patch out of folks. This way they can get a good idea of the gear used, and they don't have to mortgage the house to get into taping (OK, most don't own a house, but...). If somebody just wants to dive head first into taping and really wants a DAT deck, then I'll recommend the M1. But, as I see it the writing is on the wall.

Wayne
i agree with what you are saying. I would like to have something to last me until the HD recorders come out and get  down to a good price. Which might mean used DAT or a JB3. Laptops are too big for taping even though they offer 24/96 or higher, but in most cases what can be done with 24/xx in this form? unless you have a dvd burner, and correct me if im wrong, not much. I mean yea they can be listened to on your home computer or laptop but when you want portable audio for the car or something similar you dont want to have to drag around your laptop.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2003, 01:53:01 PM »
I initially recommend they use a MD recorder and patch out of folks.
I think that with the limited "disc" length (80 or 99 minutes?), lossy compression format, and no ability to transfer the audio to a computer (that I know of) would make MD a poor choice.  

Wayne can I have a free laptop? ;)

You are correct, that the 80 to 99 minutes isn't the most ideal length for discs, however, when you can pick up a recordable portable MD for less than $150 USD, it isn't such a bad deal.

You can transfer audio to the computer, but there are some trade-offs. Either you have to invest in a full size home unit that has TOS/SPDIF outputs, or use the lineout on the portable unit and do an analog transfer. I know this is sacrilegious to some, but remember we are talking about low cost and analog transfers can sound better than digital transfers with the right gear. We're all pretty anal (if we weren't we probably wouldn't be on this board now would we?) about our sound and gear, but for somebody just starting out I still think MD is a viable option.

Now, can you have a laptop... NO.  :P

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2003, 04:46:38 PM »
no ability to transfer the audio to a computer (that I know of) would make MD a poor choice.  

Unless I'm mistaken the MiniDiscs have a sort of "firewall" that prevents the ATRAC audio data on the discs from being accessed directly by computer.

Yeah dude you're mistaken. Someone been spreadin' the BS your way!
Armen

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2003, 08:11:54 AM »
So can you digitally transfer the files?  Especially can you do it w/out having to use a proprietary program (or file type) and w/out a stand alone MD w/coax?

Never thought you could just plug in a MD, open a sound editor, and go.

Regardless, I still think MD is a poor choice for a newbie.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 08:13:13 AM by npsinboro »
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com