Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 release information  (Read 110658 times)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: Edirol R-09 release information
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2006, 08:41:11 PM »
The R1 didn't support 4gb at first, right?
or is my memory failing me?

Well I think the manual stated it would only work with 2G cards, but that was proved wrong once they got in the field, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

http://www.meritline.com/pqi-4gb-hispeed-150x-secure-digital-sd-card.html
would that one  work with the r-09?
i dont care about 2 gb split

Hello Oleg,
RE: PQI. No one knows for certain yet.

IMO, I think that it would be less risky to go with the Transcend 4gb.

Here is a link to one vendor and also a link to a thread on my website about my experiences with the Transcend 4gb chip. In summary, they have a utility which should allow you to access the full area of the media. I don't know if PQI has this. It seems reasonable that if there was some issue addressing more than 2gb that each vendor may have a workaround for it.

http://live2496.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecdm/shop/detail~dpno~601848.asp

Gordon

P.S. More on this
The utility is just for fixing the media back to it's factory settings so that you can address the entire space.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 05:22:50 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »
Hello:

The latest regarding battery life: My results recording using 16bit, 44.1khz recording (CD quality) with Lenmar 2500mAh batteries: Runtime was 6 hours and 32 minutes. This is a very reasonable runtime on a set of AA batteries..... :-)

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2006, 12:50:01 AM »
Hello:

The latest regarding battery life: My results recording using 16bit, 44.1khz recording (CD quality) with Lenmar 2500mAh batteries: Runtime was 6 hours and 32 minutes. This is a very reasonable runtime on a set of AA batteries..... :-)

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals

Yet another +T to Chris and to bassix for running the battery tests. That runtime is excellent. With my R-1 using 2500 mah rechargeables, I was averaging a little over 4 hours. So adding an extra couple of hours worth of runtime is excellent news.

Offline liverecording

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 04:38:05 AM »
Hey !

Thanks for providing the MUCH APPRECIATED info about R-09 ... Please can you provide more info on real-time-usage concerning stealthing with the r-09 using build-in and preferabely plug-in-powered stealth-microphones (such as coresound´s  or such)

Here is a link to the formerly known as r1 newsgroup at yahoo where the discussion gradually ;) shifts towards the r-09 ...

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/edirolr1/message/1572

Thank you ALL very much!

liverecording

Offline bassix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 01:14:08 PM »
Here's some accessory info that is posted at the Edirol US site. Looks like there is a mini-shotgun mic available. (Stealthing or what not...)
It looks close to an Audio Technica mini-shotgun mic that I've seen.

There is also a protective leather case/mini-tripod setup that looks interesting, a mic stand adapter, and a case for it all.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=757&ParentId=114

blackmikito

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2006, 02:21:29 PM »
Thank you to all who have submitted testing info so far.

What about the calibration of the level controls?  Do they have any preset or function so that the desired level is "saved" between unit shutdown or the stopping of one recording and the starting of another?  Or must one reset levels each time they start a new recording or turn the unit off?

I can't imagine it does either but I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong. I still don't know why they went from the "saveable" input dial of the R-1 to the buttons for the R-09...

Offline bassix

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2006, 02:27:54 PM »
blackmikito... The last setting of the input gain level is retained from one recording to the next, as long as it is not manually changed.

The R-09 does save this level upon shutdown, for when rebooting,...the input gain was as I set it prior to shutdown.

I hope this helps...

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2006, 02:31:54 PM »
blackmikito - very good question, thank you for inquiring. I hadn't even thought of asking that, but am glad that you asked so we were able to find out the answer.

As for the input dial of the R-1, I had a love-hate relationship with it: I loved its functionality, but I hated the fact that the actual dial/knob fell off so easily.

blackmikito

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2006, 03:52:51 PM »
blackmikito... The last setting of the input gain level is retained from one recording to the next, as long as it is not manually changed.

The R-09 does save this level upon shutdown, for when rebooting,...the input gain was as I set it prior to shutdown.

I hope this helps...

Okay, well that sounds more promising. Thanks for the response. Although I imagine that after prolonged shutdown, or with the removal of the batteries for a period of time, perhaps the unit goes into a state of reset where the levels are back to a "normal" state.  Considering that there is no permanent harddrive or internal power source that the unit would have a memory stored in, like an ipod does. When you turn an ipod off and then on, the volume and song last played are stored as they were prior to shutoff. However, I don't believe even an ipod will do that after several hours or days being dormant. And since the R-09 runs on batteries it probably only has a "temporary" memory. I have an alarm clock that will still display correct time if the batteries accidentally fall out and get put back in within a minute or so of falling out.

Perhaps this would make a good future test. How long will the unit keep level memory (or other settings) when turned off, or when batteries or sd card are removed?

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »
Hello:

Regarding the stereo mic Roland shows as an option......it's nothing more than an Audio Technica PRO24 re-badged......for twice the price. If you like the Roland, get the PRO24 instead. I won't paste a link here as it might be considered advertizing, but we carry it on our site. It's a good alternative to the SONY MS907, for less $$.

Of course, there are better mics....but it's a good value, considering it's a stereo cardioid for less than $70  :-)

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2006, 06:24:26 PM »
Hello:

Regarding the stereo mic Roland shows as an option......it's nothing more than an Audio Technica PRO24 re-badged......for twice the price. If you like the Roland, get the PRO24 instead. I won't paste a link here as it might be considered advertizing, but we carry it on our site. It's a good alternative to the SONY MS907, for less $$.

Of course, there are better mics....but it's a good value, considering it's a stereo cardioid for less than $70  :-)

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals
www.soundprofessionals.com

Hey Chris,

Can you provide some more details about the R09?  Like how do mic and line in sound?  I'm wondering if you took a good audio source (eg., high-end CD player), attenuate by 20dB, then put it into the mic in, record, then compare to a line in recording, and to the original source.

Just thinking out loud here, but it would nice to get an idea of what performance we can expect.

Anyway, thanks for the battery tests and such.  These are really helpful.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2006, 09:38:02 PM »
Wohoo, mine has landed downunder and I'll have a play this evening.

Here's a couple of pics next to my Minidisc to give a rough idea of the size

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2006, 07:11:36 AM »
boy, that thing is rediculously small.
i love it

Offline jtharris

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2006, 05:55:22 PM »
Mine just arrived on the brown truck. This thing is quite slick. Thicker than an iPod, but similar 2-D footprint. First impressions:

Positive:
1) Ergonomics - VERY easy to get around. Intuitive control layout and menus. Absolutely wonderful.
2) Screen - I love this black/white screen. Even works in bright sunlight if you crank it up. FAST, accurate meters. (yea!!!)
3) Size - A little thicker than I expected, but still very nice. Looks/feels about like the baby Remmington shaver.
4) Dual settings for different battery types. Nice touch.
5) Sound - Well, what can you say for $399? Substantial low-end, which I like. You can always use the rolloff if needed. Seems like a fairly low noise floor using internal mics. Not dead silent, but very usable.

Negative:
1) Battery removal door. This looks like a quick candidate for breakage. Ya gotta be careful with it.
2) No charger. Watch out if you have it hooked to USB for a long period. Could lose a file in transfer. AC adapter included, though.
3) Really needs a case. Big time. Should have been included. Looks like the screen could get scratched quite easily (in fact mine already has a blemish)
4) Police warning light for rec/pause. Somewhat...alarming. Put it this way...you'll never overwrite something by accident.
5) Sound - Well, what can you say for $399? Upper mids/highs seems a little strident/phasey to me (is phasey a word?). This is probably due to reflections from the tight surroundings. Schoeps thru a V3 it ain't. But very good in the fundamental tones.

Overall, for what it does and the price it's really gonna be hard to beat. I've done some guitar/vocal recordings with the internals (will post soon). Later I plan some recordings with a Rode NT4 direct into the mic pre, and finally a pair of Earthworks through a V2 into the line in.

Oh yeah, my final positive note. When you boot it...it says "Have Fun Recording!". This thing does have somewhat of a vibe. :) Good job, Roland.

Offline eskin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2006, 08:17:27 PM »
FYI, if you haven't already noticed, the screen has protective plastic over it that you are supposed to remove. I thought the same thing, that I had scratched the display.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.28 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com