Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII  (Read 105446 times)

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Re: Edirol R-09 Release Information -ptII
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »
No it would not be true if the attenuation was in the DSP and after the A/D conversion, but since we know what CODEC the R-09 is using and we know it has a built in analog gain stage then there would be no reason to implement a digital attenuation stage in DSP except if you are running a gate and need digital silence.

Most A/D converters, internal or external have gain stages wethere or not they have a mic pre in them or not.  This is the impedence buffer that allows interconnection of various types of gear and allows the use of a wide variety of output strengths from dedicated preamps.  In audio there is no standard.  Google "Unity gain" and browse the first page of links and you'll see what I'm talking about.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline SunWizard

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 11:24:22 PM »
No it would not be true if the attenuation was in the DSP and after the A/D conversion, but since we know what CODEC the R-09 is using and we know it has a built in analog gain stage then there would be no reason to implement a digital attenuation stage in DSP except if you are running a gate and need digital silence.

Most A/D converters, internal or external have gain stages wethere or not they have a mic pre in them or not.

Sounds like you understand the R-09, so maybe you can tell then if it always goes through the same or nearly the same analog gain stages whether you run with line-in or mic in (low gain switch)?  Seems like it does since the amount of gain available is the same, about 1db per button click.  Just wondering which might be cleaner with my AT-853s.  The impedance is different Mic input: 20 k ohms, Line input: 17 k ohms but fairly close.  Also seems in the limited tests I have done that it sounds about the same on either input.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2006, 02:19:45 AM »
Just taped my second show with the R-09 and I experienced more unpredictable issues like my first run on Saturday. The recorder settings got changed again from 24/48 to 16/44.1. Fortunately, the opening band (Anthrax) was my first file and I just popped it open in wavelab. After the set, I stopped the recording and turned the R-09 off (I know I had plenty of juice in the 2500 mAH rechargeables, but it's just a habit for me to turn everything off between acts). I turned it back on about 10 minutes later and checked the settings to find the recorder settings got reset to 16/44.1. I just did a factory reset here in the hotel and it looks like my r-09 is doing a factory reset when it loses my settings because the factory reset set the recording settings to 16/44.1 and left the other setttings the same as what they are after my 2 unintentional resets.

The main set - Rob Zombie - shows up as a 1.7GB file after I copy it down to windows. But when I tried to open it in wavelab, wavelab doesn't report it as 24/48 and shows it as length = -1. I'm going to try to open it now in CEP as a raw file to see if it's just the header being corrupt.

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2006, 09:32:39 AM »
(sorry didnt realize there was a ptII for this thread and posted this in ptI as well):

maybe this can serve as a "near-miss" or lesson to someone.

i had an interesting situation this week where i recorded the opening set, and then powered everything off during set changes.  when i powered back on, the display read "card error" and "SD unformatted", and then the standby display read "no card." (instead of "no song" when you have a blank card) .  i was pissed b/c i thought i would have to format the card, i headed down thatpath, it asked me if i was sure, and i said no.  powered off the unit.  popped out the SD card, popped it back in, and powered up.  it read the card fine, and my opener file was still on there.  and i started the file for the main band at that point .  FWIW this was w/ a 2G card.

came real close to having to reformat and losing the first file.  no idea why it couldnt read the card though....
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2006, 10:39:17 AM »
So here is my theory of how the R-09 line-in works, if you set it below 8 you are attenuating the signal, all the way down to 0 which is 100% attenuated, no sound.   And any setting above 8 is adding gain.  So if you have a super nice preamp that you want to use, set the R-09 to 8 and then use the controls on the pre to set the levels after that. 

Ah thanks. So for loud rock shows I would be better to place it at 8 or lower (down to 1). :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline gewwang

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2006, 11:23:07 AM »
the display read "card error" and "SD unformatted", and then the standby display read "no card." (instead of "no song" when you have a blank card)

Sucks to hear inconsistencies using 2GB cards as well. I can understand getting these errors with the 4GBs since they're not supported but not 2GB. Vikas, which brand are you using and did Edirol publish a supported list like M-Audio did with the Microtrack?

Forgot to mention, when I reset my menu settings before the main set, I started the recording and the display flashed "SD card is slow". However, the recording kept going so I didn't stop it or anything. Maybe this is why the headers on my main set file are screwed.

If anyone can help me fix this 0 length file thing using audiohack or any audio application (wavelab, sf, cep, etc.) please help.

I'm using the Transcend 4GB and it always reads "No Card" before you record something to it in the R-09.

Sometime this week I need to register the unit and give Roland a call to send it in for the factory reset issue.

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2006, 11:44:13 AM »
Sometime this week I need to register the unit and give Roland a call to send it in for the factory reset issue.

Please let me know about "factory reset issue". I have not heard of this before.

Thanks.

I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »
Looking for a case and/or bag to keep my (stealth) rig in, but the official Edirol-stuff costs around $50-60 :(

Any recommendations for an European (when considering shipping)?
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 12:13:57 PM »
If anyone can help me fix this 0 length file thing using audiohack or any audio application (wavelab, sf, cep, etc.) please help.

George:  I've used audiohack several times with success. It's pretty straightforward to use... copy the WAV file to your HDD.

Then, you start up audiohack > drag & drop the WAV file onto the audiohack window > enter the destination\filename, and audiohack will write two WAV files (the 2nd WAV file is the "keeper," and I'm not sure what the 1st WAV file's purpose is).

If the file won't copy from the R-09 to your HDD to begin with, then simply start up audiohack (with the R-09 hooked up via USB) and drag & drop the WAV file from the 'removable drive' (R-09) onto the audiohack command prompt window.

Do you have audiohack? If not, it's available here: http://www.shoptheozarks.com/GGM/audiohck.zip

Good luck.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:16:45 PM by hyperplane »

Offline SunWizard

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »
i had an interesting situation this week where i recorded the opening set, and then powered everything off during set changes.  when i powered back on, the display read "card error" and "SD unformatted", and then the standby display read "no card." (instead of "no song" when you have a blank card) .  i was pissed b/c i thought i would have to format the card, i headed down thatpath, it asked me if i was sure, and i said no.  powered off the unit.  popped out the SD card, popped it back in, and powered up.  it read the card fine, and my opener file was still on there.  and i started the file for the main band at that point .  FWIW this was w/ a 2G card.

It would be good to know all the details of what brand and type of card you are using so we can see if others are having troubles with the same kind.  I am using Sandisk 2GB standard (slower) speed that is recommended by Edirol, and have had no issues with 2 cards and swapping and lots of on/offs, recording approx. 20 hours of shows.

I have noticed many threads noting problems with specific cards in other machines like the marantz and tascams, many of the problems seem to be with the faster cards.  So it would be good to start noting specific cards that work and which have problems with the R-09.

Quote From Oade about marantz:
Blane, I am getting more reports of induced noise from other 660 users. It seems it IS the card as when they go back to older, standard speed cards, the noise goes away. It only happens ith higher speed hi capacity cards. Just thought I would pass it on as I doubt there will be a fix for this...Doug

And there has been some info direct from Edirol about there being problems with the higher speed cards.
AT853 (CMC-4)>3wire batt.box or SP box >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3
C4 > D-mod UA-5 >Edirol R-09 or iRiver H120 or JB3

Offline gewwang

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2006, 12:19:40 PM »

George:  I've used audiohack several times with success. It's pretty straightforward to use... copy the WAV file to your HDD.

Then, you start up audiohack > drag & drop the WAV file onto the audiohack window > enter the destination\filename, and audiohack will write two WAV files (the 2nd WAV file is the "keeper," and I'm not sure what the 1st WAV file's purpose is).

If the file won't copy from the R-09 to your HDD to begin with, then simply start up audiohack (with the R-09 hooked up via USB) and drag & drop the WAV file from the 'removable drive' (R-09) onto the audiohack command prompt window.

Do you have audiohack? If not, it's available here: http://www.shoptheozarks.com/GGM/audiohck.zip

Good luck.  ;)

I downloaded it last night but didn't get it working so I will try again this afternoon while I'm sitting at the Cedar Rapids and/or Chicago OHare airports waiting for my delayed flights home. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline neutrino

• Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2006, 12:31:55 PM »

Sounds like the backup battery is failing. You can see the battery on the board pics I took in the part I thread...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline gewwang

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2006, 01:16:22 PM »

Sounds like the backup battery is failing. You can see the battery on the board pics I took in the part I thread...
dB-

Possible, I will ask them about this for certain.

I did a search in the knowledge base and found this, however I'm pretty sure I'm not holding the enter button down when turning it on:

R-1 Effect Reset
Knowledge Base ID: 104400
Product: R-09

This is only for the R-1 Effects settings. For reset on compact flash card see "Formatting the CF card".

1. While in the OFF position, hold down the ENTER button and turn the R-1 ON. This will reset the Effects settings to the default settings.

http://www.rolandus.com/mojo/knowledge_base.aspx

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2006, 01:39:11 PM »
Sucks to hear inconsistencies using 2GB cards as well. I can understand getting these errors with the 4GBs since they're not supported but not 2GB. Vikas, which brand are you using and did Edirol publish a supported list like M-Audio did with the Microtrack?

i'm at work and dont have the brand name handy, but i will check when i get home and report back.  i was surprised to see it, i checed the card info on the R09 too and it was behaving like there was no card in there at all. 
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

M10 / R09 / D100

08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock

Offline tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »

an FYI for those considering the transcend 4GB card like myself.  looks like the rebate offer at newegg.com expires this saturday 7/22 in case you want to order one. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820163159

M10 / R09 / D100

08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com