Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Photo tripods, especially carbon fiber  (Read 7170 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Photo tripods, especially carbon fiber
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
I've been in Vancouver for a bit more than a week... The Gitzo + markins head and rrs quick release are *amazing*.  So glad I went that route for a trip like this.  Though I'm finding I don't remove the camera from the tripod as much because it isn't so bad to carry as a whole.

I'm shooting velvia 50 and trying to meter my film consumption... Current stash is 44 rolls of velvia 50, 13 velvia 100 and 13 various b&w, all in 120.   I'll probably order some more for delivery in alaska once we get closer.

Also doing some nature recordings but we're not quite far enough away from noise yet.

You BETTER post some pics later  ;)

I'm jealous of your trip

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »
We're in Refuge cove and enjoying great weather and doing a few minor projects on the boat.

Last night we were invited to a friend's boat for drinks.. We took the dinghy over and everything was good. We got on the subject of folk music and a performance our host's wife gave last year.  She busted out the guitar and started singing...   It was totally unexpected and my rig (mk21 > v3 > r09) was back on the boat.  I don't have to tell you how that hurts...  I had my Lumix with me and shot some video with poor audio.  Unfortunately my SD card was quite full and filled up (I did not expect to shoot vid).   In the end, it was for the better... My friend has a terrible voice and was too f'n drunk and would have ruined the recording anyway.  At least I can give him the "this is how bad you sound... you need to not sing.." demo

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 12:20:32 AM »
Gitzo is worth the money imho.  I've read of failures with the Chinese knockoffs, Benro in particular.... 

Best,

John

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:13 AM »
We're still playing in Vancouver... weather has been mixed.   The boat handles weather very well but there are a lot of logs, especially in Johnstone strait.   They're extremely difficult to see in rough water... and they're huge.

The Gitzo continues to amaze and 'just work'..  However, right now a lot of my time is on floating docks and they just don't settle down enough for longer exposures.  Many of these places don't have power, so the buzz of generators has hampered my nature recordings.

Eating fresh crab and prawns... Fishing has been mixed so far (have spent very little time trying) but should improve as we head north.  We are seeing a ton of fish on the fish finder.

We'll be crossing into the rather desolate area between vancouver and alaska soon.  Our current wifi is via sat.

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 11:18:21 PM »
Been getting *amazing* weather in Alaska.... Sunshine is rare here but we've had a ton of it.  Did a bunch of glacier hiking in glacier bay and have lost count of the number of whales and whale breaches.  Recently ordered and received more Velvia..

I built some hydrophones and have been recording whales, in addition to my other nature recordings.

Eating lots of crab and salmon.

I've waded streams with the gitzo and set it up mid-stream.  Amazing piece of gear..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com