Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archival Recording  (Read 3470 times)

Offline tapjunkie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Archival Recording
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
A local venue has not been recording shows because they don't have the time or the equipment.  The manager said that if I can provide him with a device that would record shows for the archive he would be interested, but all he wants to do is push, "record" and "stop".  He doesn't have time to do post production or mix the the tracks to CD.  I don't have the availability to be there all the time, so I would like to know what options there are for him.  Is there something with a big enough hard drive to last a few weeks that I can show up and download all the data and take home to put on a drive or burn DVDs.  I am only familiar with the portable equipment and do not know enough about studio type gear.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.     

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Archival Recording
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »

This is one of the newest rackmount recorders but it may have more under the hood than you are really looking for - but it does have just about every kind of input and output and it records to 2 SD cards and switches over to the second one if the first one fills up. It also acts as an FTP server with a LAN connection so you could conceivably not even have to go to the venue to download the files.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSCDR250N--tascam-ss-cdr250n-solid-state-recorder-with-dual-sd-and-cdr

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tapjunkie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
Thanks!  Any other suggestions from others would be appreciated.

Offline DATBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
I notice you said he doesn't have the money or time, but if you ask me I think it does take a little bit of both if he wants to do it fairly easy, correct, and make this painless. So if he back pedals on that thought in a liberal sense, here is what I would do. He could get a few decent mics, place them around the room to capture some good sound from the speakers and room ambiance, and find a way to get that all audio from what the mics pick up in real time into a laptop computer w/ some kind of external sound card (in addition to buying a used laptop which is probably the best way in this sense). He can then preset the levels and hit a record button on some free software like Audicity. Oh yeah, hitting the save function would be the only other thing he would need to do. He can then take all that audio later and put it all into some kind of 4 TB portable external hard drive. That would be my solution.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:08:42 AM »

I saw a recording rack at work that had one of these:
Denon DN-700R Network SD/USB Recorder

https://denonpro.com/products/view/dn-700r

Housed in a compact 1U rack-mountable chassis, the DN-700R offers recording to both reliable SD card (two slots) and USB storage media. The unit can be configured for ‘dual’ simultaneous recording to both formats or ‘relay/cascade’ recording where longer recording times are desirable.

Designed for professional environments, the DN-700R features versatile connectivity including balanced XLR analogue audio and AES/EBU digital I/O, as well as unbalanced analog connections and SPDIF. A remote mic head amp is also available.

For integration into complex installation scenarios, the DN-700R allows network connection via DLNA/UPnP, alongside powerful Web/IP control and direct FTP access. Archiving via network can be performed automatically or at pre-programmed times. Scheduling is also supported, as is NTP (Network Timer Protocol).
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 09:09:03 AM »
Does the venue have a digital board or analog?  Most digital boards you can set up to send a feed to a USB port that you can plug a thumb drive into.  You just need to make sure that it's set up and the FOH just needs to remember to hit record and stop it at the end.  I've only done it with a thumb drive, but you can surely just plug in an external HD that they can fill up too.

Just another option to think about that's very cheap and relatively easy, if they have a digital board with the capability.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »
I've only done it with a thumb drive, but you can surely just plug in an external HD that they can fill up too.

if doing that I would get a solid state external.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline tapjunkie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 09:29:29 AM »
Thanks for all your suggestions!  This venue is well versed in recording shows from the past, but they don't currently have the staff to a 4 track mix anymore.  Things got away from them and they dropped the ball.  I will ask about the digital board option.

Offline drgary

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »
This thread has me interested in the two hardware solutions suggested.  Both the Tascam and the Denon units have Ethernet ports.  That would at least allow remote file retrieval and at most allow remote control of the recorder.  The Denon unit is apparently controllable via a web interface.  The venue owner can either fetch files from his or her own computer without touching the recorder or actually control the recorder remotely.  Both of those abilities greatly simplify the process of nearly "hands off" recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com