Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 102949 times)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2010, 01:20:24 PM »
try emailing asking if you can have your price amended in lieu of the cheaper price.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline munichhilton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
Just got off the phone with SONY about the PCM M10 clock issue and here is what they advised.

First off, they have no record of ANY complaints on this matter. No service memos and no returns have been performed because of this clock issue. I told them I was in the interesting position of having 3 of them that do not work. They said it has an internal battery [rechargeable lithium] (BT301) that may be discharged from shelf life. I am to plug in the unit with the supplied AC power supply and let that internal battery charge for a night....and then see if the clock issue is resolved. I have started the 'charging' now and will see what happens to all 3 units.

If this doesn't work, they want me to send it in to the New Jersey facility so they can experience the new issue first hand.

We'll see.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
Just got off the phone with SONY about the PCM M10 clock issue and here is what they advised.

What?  You actually called them?  You do realize your time-consuming call may delay the M11? :P

Hopefully we'll finally get to the bottom of that issue.

Anyone see any pics of the m10's guts?  Wonder what it takes to replace that battery, and those mics.

Offline munichhilton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »

First off, they have no record of ANY complaints on this matter. No service memos and no returns have been performed because of this clock issue. I told them I was in the interesting position of having 3 of them that do not work. They said it has an internal battery [rechargeable lithium] (BT301) that may be discharged from shelf life. I am to plug in the unit with the supplied AC power supply and let that internal battery charge for a night....and then see if the clock issue is resolved. I have started the 'charging' now and will see what happens to all 3 units.

If this doesn't work, they want me to send it in to the New Jersey facility so they can experience the new issue first hand.

We'll see.

Oh well....that didn't work either.
Plugged into the wall all night and day with the correct time entered before power down, and......upon turning it on it cheerfully says SET CLOCK

I will contact them again, but they will be wanting me to send it in now.

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »
I don't have the clock reset problem...but I am starting to think that the battery power remaining indicator is faulty since I have been using the same duracel batteries that I first put in my M10 and its still on full power a few months later and after using it just about twice a week to record my band rehearsals.    ;D

M10 is WIN!
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »

Well, they didn't check their records too carefully.  I mailed their service system some time ago (not sure of the exact date) with the following:

Quote from: aaronji
Every time I turn on my PCM-M10, I am required to reset the clock.  This occurs even if charged batteries are kept in the unit.  I know others who are experiencing the same issue.  How can I stop this from happening?  Is this a defective unit?  Can a firmware update be issued to address this problem?

They responded on October 22nd:

Quote from: Sony Support
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry that the clock of the Linear PCM Recorder resets when it is turned ON. Based on the information you've provided, it appears that the unit require service. You can find the repair information and initiate a service at:

http://eservice.sony.com

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6ME
Ron

As I am traveling, and needed the M10, I have yet to respond (or send it back).  Not sure what I will do about it, actually.  Not that big of a hassle (although irritating)...

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »

Please respond to them. The more they know the problem exists, the more they will address it.

Well, they didn't check their records too carefully.  I mailed their service system some time ago (not sure of the exact date) with the following:

Quote from: aaronji
Every time I turn on my PCM-M10, I am required to reset the clock.  This occurs even if charged batteries are kept in the unit.  I know others who are experiencing the same issue.  How can I stop this from happening?  Is this a defective unit?  Can a firmware update be issued to address this problem?

They responded on October 22nd:

Quote from: Sony Support
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm sorry that the clock of the Linear PCM Recorder resets when it is turned ON. Based on the information you've provided, it appears that the unit require service. You can find the repair information and initiate a service at:

http://eservice.sony.com

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team
C6ME
Ron

As I am traveling, and needed the M10, I have yet to respond (or send it back).  Not sure what I will do about it, actually.  Not that big of a hassle (although irritating)...

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2010, 03:38:59 PM »
Would someone mind to answer my earlier question :

In addition to this...what happens if there is a power failure during recording ? Do you lose everything ? Or does anything gets saved once it is recorded ?
I am asking because I am switching from HI MD to something else. I have had 3 power failures on 3 different recorders. And everytime there is a failure I have lost the entire recording. The last time it happened ten minutes before a concert was over and I lost a 2 hour show. So I am fed up with Minidisc now.

All I need to know is , do you lose the entire recording when there is a problem with the power ?

But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2010, 05:02:29 PM »
Power failures are almost never a big deal when recording in WAV format.  The data is written as it is recorded.  How much effort it might take to recover - that depends on many factors, with emphasis on not a big deal.

You may only lose a few seconds of buffer, from right before power was lost.  However, some recorders are designed to save and shutdown cleanly (SD 7xx).

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2010, 05:38:21 PM »
Power failures are almost never a big deal when recording in WAV format.  The data is written as it is recorded.  How much effort it might take to recover - that depends on many factors, with emphasis on not a big deal.

You may only lose a few seconds of buffer, from right before power was lost.  However, some recorders are designed to save and shutdown cleanly (SD 7xx).

Sounds awesome. Thanks.

Does this unit have a direct line out , so you can connect it to a hifi set ?

Also , when using mic in , is there a setting for -20DB ( I assume there is but want to be sure ). Does this setting ( -20DB ) stay as a default , or do you have to set it manually everytime ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2010, 05:51:39 PM »
Does this unit have a direct line out , so you can connect it to a hifi set ?

Yes.

Also , when using mic in , is there a setting for -20DB ( I assume there is but want to be sure ). Does this setting ( -20DB ) stay as a default , or do you have to set it manually everytime ?

Physical switch on the rear of the unit so there's no default to worry about.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2010, 07:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the answers !!

Is the remote easy to deal with ? Judging on the pics it looks like you can't adjust the recording settings.
Are the recording settings manual or digital ( like 15-16-17 etc. ) ?

Offline Artstar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2010, 07:35:40 AM »

Is the remote easy to deal with ? Judging on the pics it looks like you can't adjust the recording settings.

Remote is a piece of cake. No it does not have any ability to remotely adjust the levels.

The recording level setting is analogue, not digital. I think all your answers to any further questions are in the instruction manual. That's how I did my homework before I went shopping.

http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-177805/original/PCM-M10%20Manual.pdf

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »

Remote is a piece of cake. No it does not have any ability to remotely adjust the levels.

The recording level setting is analogue, not digital. I think all your answers to any further questions are in the instruction manual. That's how I did my homework before I went shopping.

http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-177805/original/PCM-M10%20Manual.pdf

Sure thing .
Here's a question that can only be answered by an user.

How does the backlight work during a concert ? Is it really bright ? can you watch it from different angles ?
I remember my old DAT , you really had to put it in a certain direction to be able to read the screen !

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »

Sure thing .
Here's a question that can only be answered by an user.

How does the backlight work during a concert ? Is it really bright ? can you watch it from different angles ?
I remember my old DAT , you really had to put it in a certain direction to be able to read the screen !

I recorded a concert of our church choir last saturday. Since it was a combination of music and light effects (Missa Lumen), the church was dark in the beginning. The backlight of my M10 was permanently on, and everything on the display was very good readable - this despite the fact that I am very myopic... BTW the backlight has a warm red-orange color that is easy on the eyes. The brightness is just right - if I need a flashlight, I pull out my LED one  ;D

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com