Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 102949 times)

Offline tgos3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2010, 03:39:22 PM »
My M-10 was purchased in late June.  Records fine.
Intermittent (i.e. not every time)  loss of clock setting when:
1) sitting on a shelf with good NiMH batteries, in powersave/standby
2) sitting on a shelf turned off
3) when batteries removed and reinserted (least common)
4) after sitting <off> all night with AC cord connected (this AM)
5) after completing an upload or doanload via USB to a W-XP computer

I called Sony today (one of the longest voice mail runarounds I have ever had, with endless hold, hangups, etc._
eventually referred to the proper number which  is
1-800-883-6817
which is "product operations support center" for pro gear
you will end up using <5> and then <1> as your voice-tree routing selections

I spoke to a friendly and apparently reasonably knowledgeable person.  He said
1) the Li-ion battery stores ALL the settings, not just clock, so if the other settings are not lost, it probably isn't the battery.
2) the commands to control clock setting, retention, and readout are part of the EPROM, which may be the source of the problem
3) if there is something wrong with the clock oscillator that might be a prob. source

They have no current knowledge of or fix for the problem, as noted above.  I told him they will be hearing about it from a bunch of other people, so I hope other users will add to the population of reported problems

The service rep suggested I send it in with proof of purchase and written description of the problem (no RMA is necessary)
to
Sony Service Center
123 W. Tryon Ave.
Teaneck, NJ 07666

He said they might replace the main circuit board, if they can't find and fix the problem, or else fix it and send it back with the original circuit board. 
Turnaround time right now is about 7 days, but of course they have to make the problem occur first.

Regarding warranty, I was told that if the unit is physically submitted to them for service, and a problem case started while under warranty, then usually they will extend the warranty period to cover the time until it is fixed effectively.

Since the unit still records fine, and I don't know how long they will take, it's frustrating to be without it, but the rep suggested taking care of it ASAP rather than waiting for some kind of official recognition of the problem.

I will wait a few days to see if anyone else has a solution from SONY, and then send it in.

TG

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »
I have 2 m10s and the clocks on both have held there setting for the past 5 months.

Offline mloewen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
Thanks for the answers !!

Is the remote easy to deal with ? Judging on the pics it looks like you can't adjust the recording settings.
Are the recording settings manual or digital ( like 15-16-17 etc. ) ?

Remote is a piece of cake. No it does not have any ability to remotely adjust the levels.

The recording level setting is analogue, not digital. I think all your answers to any further questions are in the instruction manual. That's how I did my homework before I went shopping.

http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebServices/RetrievePublicAsset/StepID/SEL-asset-177805/original/PCM-M10%20Manual.pdf

Sure thing .
Here's a question that can only be answered by an user.

How does the backlight work during a concert ? Is it really bright ? can you watch it from different angles ?
I remember my old DAT , you really had to put it in a certain direction to be able to read the screen !

Your options are on, off, on 10 sec or 60 secs .I have no problem reading it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:08:00 PM by mloewen »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2010, 09:40:57 AM »
J&R is offering these with free shipping for $199.  http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_PCMM10B/

Use coupon code:  GEICO10    and get it for $189 shipped. 

I think I might have to finally pull the trigger on one of these today. 

edit - pulled the trigger :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:45:43 AM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2010, 09:19:04 AM »
Is the free case offer still going?  I did a little searching but couldn't find much.  B&H's site states a free case with purchase, but that's most likely their own offer. 

I'm assuming, no. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Well after 5 months i just had to  reset the clock.

Offline MKMK

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
    Hello :) this a is fantastic forum, i have learned a lot of things about this device (Sony PCM-M10)  before to buy it.

But reading this thread i have several  questions about the bug of the clock too... I write here if somebody knows deails.

Does the bug is a generall issue in all the machines? of in a concrete consignment of manufacturing ?, the last machines has the bug, or this issue has been solved? ???
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:55:04 AM by MKMK »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
    Hello :) this a is fantastic forum, i have learned a lot of things about this device (Sony PCM-M10)  before to buy it.

But reading this thread i have several  questions about the bug of the clock too... I write here if somebody knows deails.

Does the bug is a generall issue in all the machines? of in a concrete consignment of manufacturing ?, the last machines has the bug, or this issue has been solved? ???
not all of them have the issue or at least not everyone has experienced it
sony has yet to say that there is a issue and we are not sure if they do what can/will be done
there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when people have bought theirs on if they have a clock issue or not
for me the issue is small and not worth the headache of sending to sony for them to "research" the problem so from time to time i just have to rest it and it take 1 minute to do - with that said if recording time is an issue the clock does not need to be set, all it does is save the time in the file and since i change the file names when i get home anyway it doesn't make much difference to me
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »
I have two M10's.  The clock only resets when I swap out the batteries.  No problems when powering on after sitting for any length of time. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:51:47 PM by spyder9 »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
I have owned my r09 since they first came out, and I've only ever had to set the clock once.

You shouldn't have to set the clock after changing the batteries.  That's what the internal backup is for.   Given all the reports here, I don't believe Sony when they say they don't know about this. Surely some of them actually use the recorder.

Offline mezzman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2010, 02:01:34 PM »
My M10 has this problem.
It seems like if I am using the deck for a while it's OK, but after a few weeks in the drawer, it forgets the time&date.
I will call Sony and add it to the list of M10s that have this issue.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
Is the free case offer still going?  I did a little searching but couldn't find much.  B&H's site states a free case with purchase, but that's most likely their own offer. 

I'm assuming, no.

B&H still has the free case offer on their site, but the price is $230 total w/free shipping (at some point it was down to $200 total on B&H).  I'm thinking about getting one of these but the clock issue has tempered my enthusiasm a bit.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2010, 10:23:50 PM »
B&H still has the free case offer on their site, but the price is $230 total w/free shipping (at some point it was down to $200 total on B&H).  I'm thinking about getting one of these but the clock issue has tempered my enthusiasm a bit.

The clock issue has effected a very small number of people, maybe two dozen. If yours has the issue, contact B&H and tell them it is defective, they will issue an RMA and provide a shipping label for free. Its unfortunate that sony doesn't release firmware updates since this DOES seem to be an actual issue but perhaps if enough units are exchanged for another, some action will be taken.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
The clock issue has effected a very small number of people, maybe two dozen. If yours has the issue, contact B&H and tell them it is defective, they will issue an RMA and provide a shipping label for free. Its unfortunate that sony doesn't release firmware updates since this DOES seem to be an actual issue but perhaps if enough units are exchanged for another, some action will be taken.

It's odd and rather disappointing that Sony doesn't do firmware updates.  But anyway, I will probably get one of these if I can find a nice deal like B&H had awhile ago ($200 w/case).  Is this unit svelte enough to fit in a shirt breast pocket? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com