Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 102812 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 12:49:09 AM »

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 07:28:36 AM »
Thanks Neil- that's great!

Does the M10 accomodate a 16Gb card with no problems?

JimP

Yes-I'm using one. The manual says that's as high as it goes though and Sony doesn't do firmware updates.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
continuation of 3 threads on discussion of the sony m10.

Part 3:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136665.0

Has anyone returned their m10 due to resetting the clock each time you power it on?

You do know u can just push play a bunch of times and get through the clock thing, right?  It's annoying but really why the need to set the clock each use?
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »
I don't have the issue but you're right, the clock isn't necessary for the recorder to work.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Rich62

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
As you can see by my number of posts, I'm the ultimate newb here. After many years of half a$$ed recordings, I want to up the quality on my recordings. (presently use an inexpensive Olympus recorder and some no name mics) I just want to say I have spent many many hours pouring over many many threads on this site and I have decided on the M-10. It sounds like a great piece of equipment and thanks for the tip on $199 from Adorama. I just ordered mine!

I've read so much on this little gem, I'm sure I've read the answer or answers to my question but it has gotten lost in the jumble of frequency testing, SD card types, overseas shipping fees info etc. I apologize in advance for no doubt repeating this but here it goes...

I plan on using this for loud rock concerts (Social Distortion, Motorhead, Dropkick Murphys, etc) in mid sized to large club type venues. I plan on getting CA 14's (one piece of info that a lot of people agree on) but I'm not sure if I need a battery box / preamp to go along with these or if the internal power is sufficient or proper for what I plan on using my rig for.

Man, things have come a long way since I snuck my old cassette recorder into Ramones concerts!!! You have a great community going here and it's great to see so much info being shared!  :)

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »

I plan on using this for loud rock concerts (Social Distortion, Motorhead, Dropkick Murphys, etc) in mid sized to large club type venues. I plan on getting CA 14's (one piece of info that a lot of people agree on) but I'm not sure if I need a battery box / preamp to go along with these or if the internal power is sufficient or proper for what I plan on using my rig for.

Man, things have come a long way since I snuck my old cassette recorder into Ramones concerts!!! You have a great community going here and it's great to see so much info being shared!  :)

Rich62, welcome to the community, you will feel always at home here wherever your whereabouts are.

Yes, you need a battery box or a pream and then go line in into the M-10. If you intend to purchase the C-14's then get the preamp 9100 from Chris as well.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
I love the ST-9100, but if you really are going to record nothing but loud concerts you also have the option of just getting a battery box to power the mics. I doubt if you'd notice an audible difference in your recordings if you went that route. You'd save some money and you'd get hundreds of hours more life out of the 9 volt battery powering it than you would with the ST-9100.

You can't go wrong with the ST-9100 though and you should have one if you are going to record quiet stuff even occasionally.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
So nobody has pushed Sony on the clock setting problem?

There are a lot of times when I have needed to get the recorder powered up and recording NOW, and a problem like that would be a real PIA and result in lost audio.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »
I have 2 m10s and after initially setting the clocks a few days later BOTH needed to be reset.Its been 3 months now and both have units have held the clock info.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
The clock is useful, if not downright essential, on the PCM-M10 because it names the files for the day you record them, and of course they are time-stamped like other Windows files. If you leave it unset all your files are going to have duplicate--[EDIT: actually, just similar dated, as someone pointed out below]--names, and if, like me, you sometimes are tardy about uploading them, it sure is nice to have the date to jog your memory.

If it's not working I would consider it defective and get it replaced. There's no reason to live with that defect. Mine has never had a problem.
-------------

And meanwhile, on Rich62's battery box question...a battery box is all you'll ever need for loud music. Save the extra $$ for beer or other experiential enhancements.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:56:55 AM by earmonger »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 10:19:36 PM »
The clock is useful, if not downright essential, on the PCM-M10 because it names the files for the day you record them, and of course they are time-stamped like other Windows files

How does the recorder prevent file overwrites in the event of a duplicate date?

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
The clock is useful, if not downright essential, on the PCM-M10 because it names the files for the day you record them, and of course they are time-stamped like other Windows files

Agree with Earmonger on all counts. Although, I may be lucky (for once here lately), haven't had any aforementioned issues as of yet... Maybe a bad lot on the internal rechargeables?

I'm sure this has been covered in previous threads, but I'm admittedly too lazy and inept to search soooo... what type of battery/chemistry keeps the vital statistics going on these things?

Offline Rich62

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
Thanks Napo and fmaderjr for the advice!

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 05:30:20 AM »
What's the genral consensus on the M10/D50?

Is the M10 good enough by itself, or so most people use it with offboard pre-amps? Is the D50 good enough by itself?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2010, 09:21:25 AM »
So nobody has pushed Sony on the clock setting problem?

There are a lot of times when I have needed to get the recorder powered up and recording NOW, and a problem like that would be a real PIA and result in lost audio.

I sent Sony a mail about this, but I haven't heard back from them yet.  I'd encourage others with the issue to do the same.  The more reports they receive, the more likely they are to take action...I'll post their response when/if I get it...

In the meantime, my workaround for this is to just turn the recorder on and set the clock at home while I am getting my gear together and just leave it on until the show starts.  With the incredible battery life, it's no problem even if the show starts hours later...

The filenames are in the format "yymmdd_number.wav".  So if you already had a file called 101004_01.wav, a second file would be titled 101004_02.wav, so no overwriting.  You can end up with two files with the same name, however, if you switch from internal memory to card (or vice versa)...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com