Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Basic yet quality rig for digital transfers ?

(1/2) > >>

tbger:
Hello,

I have some old DAT tapes and minidiscs that I want to transfer.  For this, I want to build a basic yet quality system that would let me make digital transfers.

I have a TCD-D7 with Sony’s 7-pin cable for the DATs, and a minidisc deck (which doesn’t have a digital output, but I read somewhere on minidisc.org that it is possible to mod it and add one).
Since I’m not familiar with recorders (other than what I’ve read on a topic about ‘bit buckets’), I’d like to ask you guys what recorder I should buy for this purpose (basic, but still a quality one).  I thought about the Marantz PMD661 (of which I’ve figured there’s a Mark 1, 2 and 3).  This is the only I’ve found yet.

Also, I don’t know whether I would need another component for doing the transfers.  To my basic knowledge it should just be a player, hooked digitally to a recorder.  But maybe there’s something else that is needed.

Again, I’m not looking for the best rig with extra functionality etc., just something that would do the job, but still of good quality.

I hope I’m posting in the right place.

Thank you very much for reading
Roy

jerryfreak:
if transferring *from* a D7/D8, you need the optical version of the cable. The factory coax ones were input only

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2451.0

you can also use a 2-way oade coax.

D7/D8 isnt the best deck for transfers due to its half-sized head, i would limit its use to a imited number of transfers made on that particular deck

as far as 'quality' its pretty much all or nothing with digital. you can transfer multiple times and find potenetial error spots, but in most cases with good tapes and a good deck its going to be >99.9% the same bits (though that 0.1% can sound nasty when it rears its head!

there are numerous 'bit buckets' which should all do the same thing. tascam dr100 series, marantz pmd series, even the m-audio microtrack series is bit accurate
use a high quality card to avoid dropped samples (i recommend sandisk pro 32GB as the most fault-tolerant card out of numerous ive tested)

theres a PMD661 for sale in the YS with blown out P48 that would be perfect for you

gormenghast:
Is there something about the Marantz PMD 661 MKIII that prevents it from being a good bit dumper deck?

twatts (pants are so over-rated...):
How many MDs do you have???  I can transfers them (sometimes) via 16/44 optical output...

Terry

jcable77:

--- Quote from: gormenghast on July 01, 2020, 01:32:26 PM ---Is there something about the Marantz PMD 661 MKIII that prevents it from being a good bit dumper deck?

--- End quote ---
Record level controls digital input, which is just another stage noise could be introduced. Or that's what my thoughts were. I only used the one I had once and got rid of it. The mk2 doesn't have that issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version