Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Portable Preamp with M/S ?

(1/4) > >>

boa:
I've been looking for a Sound Devices Mixpre-D to do M/S on the fly.

Are there any other options I should be considering?

morst:

--- Quote from: boa on June 06, 2021, 03:23:47 PM ---I've been looking for a Sound Devices Mixpre-D to do M/S on the fly.

Are there any other options I should be considering?

--- End quote ---
Consider mixing it later!!!!

yug du nord:
Schoeps VMS
Grace Lunatec V3 with M/S mod

morst:

--- Quote from: morst on June 06, 2021, 04:05:55 PM ---Consider mixing it later!!!!

--- End quote ---
Sorry for my glib reply!
Perhaps you'd get added benefit from a Mixpre3 which I am pretty sure can record the ISO tracks and also deliver a stereo mix / live stream?

Gutbucket:
^ This.  It really is best to be able to dial in the optimal Side to Mid ratio while listening later. 

With most multichannel recorders you can produce a live L/R monitor output while recording as Mid and Side channels, preserving the capability of dialing in a more optimal M/S mix later.  I've used the following recorders that way: Edirol R44/R88, TascamDR680/DR680MKII, Zoom F8 (I assume F6 too but have not used it), and the SD Mixpre recorders (I have not used them, but they have the capability), among others. 

With recorders that provide the capability of simultaneously recording the internal stereo mix along with the isolated tracks you can even produce file outputs in both the M/S and (live mix ratio) L/R versions at the same time if you want.  Recorders with that ability include all of the above except the R44.

And yes, if necessary you can always convert from M/S to L/R ahead of the recorder and record as L/R, and then convert back to M/S on the computer later to tweak the ratio by ear, before finally converting back to L/R again, but best to mix directly from the isolated Mid and Side signals if you have them recorded that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version