Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery mod for Microtrack?  (Read 8550 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Battery mod for Microtrack?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 05:57:03 AM »
Thanks for posting!
So there is voltage regulation on the recorder PCB? (woud seem strange)
We need to know what thefunction of the small battery PCB is.
Is it standard functionality? ((dis)charge controller?)
Or would we need to transplant it?

The room in the case could be made in various ways:
Either cut out the square for the battery and put a piece of plastic over it
Or slightly melt the back of the casign to make some room (only 1 or 2 milimeters are required).
Or remove some material on the inside?
Etc.

I see some coils etc where the power is connected. Can we discern voltage regulation?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 06:08:35 AM »
Maybe someone can measure the voltage on the two wires coming from the battery? (where they hit the PCB)
If the voltage is unchanged between an `empty` and fully charged battery we have regulation on the battery.

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 08:41:54 AM »
Thanks for posting!
So there is voltage regulation on the recorder PCB? (woud seem strange)
We need to know what thefunction of the small battery PCB is.
Is it standard functionality? ((dis)charge controller?)
Or would we need to transplant it?

The room in the case could be made in various ways:
Either cut out the square for the battery and put a piece of plastic over it
Or slightly melt the back of the casign to make some room (only 1 or 2 milimeters are required).
Or remove some material on the inside?
Etc.

I see some coils etc where the power is connected. Can we discern voltage regulation?

I think we would need to transplant the pcb.... the battery is 3.7v, so I Imagine the pcb is very similar to the small circuit boards in all the AA and AAA USB Battery chargers,  converting the 3.7v to the 5v of the USB spec.

I do not think the back is thick enough to be shaving anything out of, and I personally am not going to melt my MT. I am still planning on trying the new back with rapid-prototyping from Solidworks drawing, its just gonna be a bitch doing all those small latches, really need a 3 piece mold and those are $$$.

Not sure about the coils function, I'll let some of the sparkys around here clue us in on that.

-dvn

DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 10:45:07 AM »
I think we would need to transplant the pcb.... the battery is 3.7v, so I Imagine the pcb is very similar to the small circuit boards in all the AA and AAA USB Battery chargers,  converting the 3.7v to the 5v of the USB spec.
The photo with the battery-PCB does not show much detail so we do not yet know for sure what is there.
By looking at the PCB of the MT itself we could find some voltage regulators (step-up to 5V and up/down to 3.3?).
If those are there this could mean that we can feed the MT-PCB with about 3.x to 4.x volts and be OK.
Measurements like I indicated could help as well if we cannot dig out that small battery-PCB.

What is the Solidworks stuff about? If this could produce a nice,f fitting copy of the standard back with a slight `huncback` we could have a good mod! (Phantom power users? Microdrives?)

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 11:17:37 AM »
The photo with the battery-PCB does not show much detail so we do not yet know for sure what is there.
By looking at the PCB of the MT itself we could find some voltage regulators (step-up to 5V and up/down to 3.3?).
If those are there this could mean that we can feed the MT-PCB with about 3.x to 4.x volts and be OK.
Measurements like I indicated could help as well if we cannot dig out that small battery-PCB.

What is the Solidworks stuff about? If this could produce a nice,f fitting copy of the standard back with a slight `huncback` we could have a good mod! (Phantom power users? Microdrives?)

Yeah, its not the best, but I was not going to peel back the yellow cellophane/tape in this first run.  I really think that this board does all the voltage reg... why else would it be there? 

Also keep in mind that these pics are 1280x1024, so I would download them to your home pc and not let them be constrained by the size of your browser window.  (not that this helps on the small battery pcb)

Solidworks...  this is a common 3D CAD modeling program used by engineers.   check it out: http://www.solidworks.com/

My goal is to 3D model a new bottom plate.  I suppose I could just give it a hump, but if I'm making the bottom deeper anyway, then I should put more battery in there...   what does everyone else think? 

Anwyay, once that is complete, you send off your 3D model to any number of rapid prototyping houses, like this place.   You upload your drawing, then they give you quotes to the various prototyping processes they can use to make it.   Some technologies are very fragile, while others are robust enough to be used in beta/pilot builds.   Once it's proven, then you could send it off to someone (sometimes the same company) and they will make a small production run for you and lower your piece price costs...

-dvn

DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 09:08:11 AM »
I think before you do the 3D remodel thing you should check out the voltage at the MT PCB under various conditions to be sure if we'd have to transplant the small PCB on the battery or not. (what is the extra space if we cannot use it?)
Then we can look into the transplant if necessary or proceed to the remodel of the MT back.

If someone knows how to get spare back sides of MT's. (defective ones? M-Audio?)
I could try the other routes.

(i.e.: remove material an/or slightly melt the back using a metal block formed like the battery)

Offline patch77s

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 05:41:58 PM »
I now just use an external 5v battry pack.  There are several cheeper AA models or a C/D sled from sonic studios that will give you from 20-50 hours depending on what model you choose. I'm tyring the AA version next weeiend so see how long I can record for. 

just curious how the AA version worked out for you?  what kind did you use?

also - what happens if you unplug the USB cable while it's recording - will it keep recording while switching to the internal battery?  or what if you're using the internal battery and recording and then decide to plug in a USB power pack?  does it just keep on recording?

steve

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 04:51:08 AM »
I now just use an external 5v battry pack.  There are several cheeper AA models or a C/D sled from sonic studios that will give you from 20-50 hours depending on what model you choose. I'm tyring the AA version next weeiend so see how long I can record for. 

just curious how the AA version worked out for you?  what kind did you use?

also - what happens if you unplug the USB cable while it's recording - will it keep recording while switching to the internal battery?  or what if you're using the internal battery and recording and then decide to plug in a USB power pack?  does it just keep on recording?
Mods are modifications to a unit. Do you think that hooking up a few batteries outside the unit applies?
Or did someone implement  battery that can be exchanged?  ;D

Offline patch77s

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:51 AM »
Mods are modifications to a unit. Do you think that hooking up a few batteries outside the unit applies?
Or did someone implement  battery that can be exchanged?  ;D

i was replying to china_rider - go back and read his message - reply #12.

steve

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 10:01:50 AM »
i was replying to china_rider - go back and read his message - reply #12.
We are looking for ways to extend the MT's internal battery. Please have a look at the pictures posted or help find a resource for suitable Li-Ion batteries.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 02:11:18 PM »
Any updates on the internal battery mod?
Microtrack backsides? (from M-Audio)
Rebuilt backsides with a bump?
Batteries?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 10:09:06 AM »
If we're gonna 'hack' we could try to fit in an ipod replacement battery? 2200 mAH, measures 85 x 55 x 5 mm.
Coudl anyone here have a look at the internals how possible this is?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com