Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134763 times)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
That is something that I was thinking about for running both cards for this show. This is early in the game for me and I would love to see the difference in the mics. I won't have the luxury of having significantly different locations for the pull.

One question about my second setting. I have run the at-->ca9100-->mic in on the dr-2d at home for practice. I only see the left channel on the recorder display. I have a feeling that I have a bad cable, but I thought that I should maybe ask. Should I be seeing a left and a right in that setup?

Yes, you should I'd make sure you don't have a bad cable.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
Yep, definitely.

Good habit during setup and once you get rolling is to switch off the hold button momentarily, press the DUAL button to switch back and forth between monitoring both inputs to make certain you're gettting good looking signal on the meters for all four channels.

That is something that I was thinking about for running both cards for this show. This is early in the game for me and I would love to see the difference in the mics.
  That's valuable at any stage of the game! I'd do exactly that.   Once somewhat more familiar with which set of cards perform more optimally in different situations, I'd be more tempted to run one pair of cards and one pair omnis if it was outdoors and if you can space the omnis enough.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline time will tell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #257 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:30 PM »
So, this is the pull that I got from my bsc-1's-->UA5-->dr-2d line @100

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=566274

My other channel was the AT853-->CA9100-->dr-2d mic @67, for some reason it still brickwalled the wav form. It doesn't sound awful, but it doesn't sound good either. Maybe I will kick up the mic input a bit next time.

I think that the line feed came out pretty good. I would love any and all feedback that you guys might be willing to share.

thanks for everything!
"Floating through liquid air, with music everywhere."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #258 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
other channel was the AT853-->CA9100-->dr-2d mic @67, for some reason it still brickwalled the wav form. It doesn't sound awful, but it doesn't sound good either.

First check to make sure the menu setting for the mic-input sensitivity is set to LOW and not to Medium or High.

If it is you should be okay on the recorder itself. Do your ATs have Chris's 4.7k mod?  If they are two-wire and do not, the mics may have been the source of the distortion.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline time will tell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #259 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »
My mics are two wire and do not have the mod as far as I know. My recorder is set to low on the input. I am going to email Chris I think.
"Floating through liquid air, with music everywhere."

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
Good habit during setup and once you get rolling is to switch off the hold button momentarily, press the DUAL button to switch back and forth between monitoring both inputs to make certain you're gettting good looking signal on the meters for all four channels.

^ I personally can't imagine not doing this when running 4ch. I'm a little paranoid though.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
My mics are two wire and do not have the mod as far as I know. My recorder is set to low on the input. I am going to email Chris I think.

I've had an old set of AT mics brickwall before and it ain't pretty.  You'll definitely want Chris' 4.7k mod for those mics if you're near to the source or it's loud.

Offline tay666

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »
Just had an odd error happen to me this week. One that I have never heard come up on here.

I run at 24/48 on my recordings and have the deck set to split files at 500 MB. Which ends up at right around 33 minutes per file.
I use 8 GB cards, which in dual record mode, gives me a little more than 4 hours per card.

I was at a show, with 3 bands. Running stealth, as I always do. During the break between the 2nd band, and the headliner, I swapped out my card, to make sure I had enough space to get the whole set. When the band finally hit the stage, I pulled the recorder out of my pocket to check the levels. Everything was fine.
Some time later I pulled it out again, just to make sure all was well. It wasn't. The red light was flashing, and it was showing an error. After trying to stop it, and restart it, and it showing error again, I shut it down, and swapped back to the original card.
All went well the rest of the night.
When I went to transfer the files off the cards I found something very odd.
The one that gave me an error, only had 2 files on it. Each were 3,876,928 KB in size :o
First of all, it should have split at 524,260 KB
Second of all, I thought max file size was only 2 GB
When I opened one of the files to see what was in it, it got even stranger.
The track was only 47 minutes long.
Everything was fine up until 34 minutes (which is where it should have split into another file)
Then it got really strange. There would be almost 2 seconds of audio, that then repeated 3 times. Then a new 2 seconds of audio that then repeats 3 times..
Here is a sample of it.
http://www.tylisaari.com/misc/boots/sample/error.mp3

Only thing I can think of is that the card went bad on me. I know it was working fine before, as I used it the day before to test my battery strength. Just left the deck sitting here on the desk recording until the card filled up, or the batteries died. The card filled up first. So I gave it a full format. Then put the other card in the deck and gave it a full format, and left that card in the deck to start off with.
Since everything was fine with the first card, both before and after this problem. It can only be a bad card.
I just wanted to bring it up here in case anyone else has this happen.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #263 on: November 24, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
Running Teac ME-80s > DR-2d for the first time tonight. I see some others on the board have used a similar setup. I'm assuming line in will work just fine? I'm running each mics on 12vs each, mics will be either NOS or ORTF config.

Anything coming up that looks like a successor to the DR-2d? Specifically the 4ch dual line feature, the size, and the durability of the unit. I'm really enjoying being able to do 4ch in a small recorder.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

adrianf74

« Reply #264 on: November 24, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »
Anything coming up that looks like a successor to the DR-2d? Specifically the 4ch dual line feature, the size, and the durability of the unit. I'm really enjoying being able to do 4ch in a small recorder.

I haven't seen much, really.  I considered, albeit for a very brief moment, the Roland R-26 and the Zoom H6n but the Zoom has gotten some questionable feedback (as did the DR-2D) and the R-26 didn't make a lot of sense to me.  Neither of those will give us two 1/8" inputs so they're not really options.

That said, I pulled the trigger on the DR-2D as a second deck for when I need 4 channels (which isn't often).  I know I could've just picked up another M10 and then synced them by stretching one file against the other but I'd rather have synced sources.  I haven't read or heard of anything similar to the DR-2D coming up, mind you.

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #265 on: November 24, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
Running Teac ME-80s > DR-2d for the first time tonight. I see some others on the board have used a similar setup. I'm assuming line in will work just fine? I'm running each mics on 12vs each, mics will be either NOS or ORTF config.

I've used nothing but mic in on low with my Teacs and have had plenty of headroom to spare.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

adrianf74

« Reply #266 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
Checking in... as a new owner of a gently used DR-2D.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »
Jumping into the Mini-Stereo arena again...I'm the third owner of a DR2d that has yet to have the plastic pulled off the meters...but (when funds allow) plan on going the Tiny Box>Active AKG route instead of the low powered AT/Church Mic route this time around...in the meantime I'll figure out how to get a line out of my V2 into this unit...may even break out the old Nak CM100's for self power Mic to DR2d in parallel to the main rig to get comfortable running it.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »
GAKables can help you out.  Ted made me a V3 line out to 3.5mm stereo cable that works great. 

...in the meantime I'll figure out how to get a line out of my V2 into this unit...
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
Figured this is the best place to ask this question instead of starting a new thread.

Since it would appear the DR-2D is discontinued, does anyone know what the replacement will be?
I am considering purchasing a second one for times where I need two and as a backup.

But I wonder if I should wait for whatever the replacement will be...

I have read some people feel the DR-40 phased out the DR-2D but I hope not.
The DR-40 forces you to always use the InternalMics as a secondary source in DualRec mode while the DR-2D gave you the option of using 2 External Sources.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:01:50 AM by StarkRavingCalm »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com