Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for Some New Microphones  (Read 3638 times)

Offline VH Drummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Looking for Some New Microphones
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »
I think the time has come since the current mic I am using is beginning to die out on me.  Recently it has decided that it would like to only record in the right channel.  I don't have very much money to spend on a new one since taping is nothing but a hobby for me (and of course bills and school are factors). 

Currently, I am using a SP-SPSM-1 http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSM-1&type=store&template=reviews, yes a $40 microphone but it's worked really well the past two years, I've pulled some fantastic recordings with it. 

So I'm looking to upgrade but not drain my savings account either.  I'm looking in the $100 or below range and I've come across these two so far:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-SPSM-2&type=store&template=reviews
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-CMC-20&type=store&template=reviews

Any suggestions or thoughts?  Thanks.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Looking for Some New Microphones
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »
do you need those mini mics? stealthy like? 

Church audio.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
^ I agree, for just a little more $ you'll drastically improve your recordings with CA mics.  I think they are $250 mics without the price.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline VH Drummer

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
Used primarily for stealth, yes.  Any particular make you'd suggest?

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »
nah way less.  You can get some CA11's for around a hundred
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
do a search here on TS for Church Audio.  You won't be sorry. 
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
I say Church Audio too.

The CA-14 cards are on sale for $99 & I think I read a post from Chris that he is offering free shipping in February. I may be wrong about that-ask him. Much better mics for the money than those SP mics.

^ I agree, for just a little more $ you'll drastically improve your recordings with CA mics.  I think they are $250 mics without the price.

Chris recommends powering them with a battery box unless you opt for a 2.2 ( or is it 2.7?) ohm resistor mod (instead of his normal 4.7) to optimize mic in recording. His battery box is around $40, I think. If you don't want to use a battery box, the CA-11's are also good mics and supposedly work well mic in with a lot of recorders (I alway use a battery box or preamp, so I don't know from experience). With the CA-11's you can get both card & omni caps if you want.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,112004.0.html

Only downside is a long wait for them to arrive-often a month or more. Don't let the wait deter you. Chris' stuff is well worth waiting for. If you have stuff to record in the mean time, I have an unused SP T-mic like your old one I'd be willing to lend you until your new mics arrive. It can't even cost $1 to ship, so I wouldn't even ask for postage. PM me your address if you want it. Ship it back when your new mics arrive.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:20:17 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »
nah way less.  You can get some CA11's for around a hundred

I should have phrased it better, meaning I think they sound like $250 mics for the actual cost of $100. (good value)
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »
ahhh, right...  Gotcha.   ;D     
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

Offline VH Drummer

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »
Alright, I will start setting some money aside for these.  I don't really have any shows coming up until the summer so I should be fine. 

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »
You could go to the loaner board and sign up to test some of Chris Church's mics (http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,31.0.html). That way you can see which pair suit you but I will say its hard to beat the CA-14 cardioids for what you are doing. Chris also sells a relatively cheap and tiny battery box. PM him and ask about that unit, I think it runs around $30.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
Alright, I will start setting some money aside for these.  I don't really have any shows coming up until the summer so I should be fine. 

If you're not in a hurry, keep checking the YS. You could pick up some used Church gear with a bit of patience.

VH, what recorder are you running? I understand that until now, you've only used plug-in power, no bbox or pre? Did you ever experience any brickwalling? Or was there acoustic shows where the recorder gain wasn't enough? Just trying to size up your needs...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »
I've heard some absolutely stunning recordings with the CA mics -- jerseyboy did lindsey buckingham in philly back in 06 or 07 that was breathtaking, and a couple of baker's springsteen recordings are fantastic (foxboro '08 is great).  but sometimes, to me, they sound too bright bordering on harsh -- jerseyboy's version of the who in philly last october sticks in my mind.  i think his set up was the same, but a completely different venue and a very different sound. 

i still tend to favor the AT943's or 899's or whatever the model currently is for their small body modular mics.  i find them to be a little more transparent or neutral than the church audio mics.  you can make them into 3 wire with mini-XLR with a 3 wire power supply and you don't have to worry about brickwalling or bass overload.  also, you have a flexible set up as you can get omni, cardioid and hypercard caps for those mics.  you might be able to do the same with the church mics; not sure.

you can find the AT's or the church audio used in the yard sale all the time.  from what i've heard, chris stands behind his stuff whether you buy them new from him or used here.  sound pro, not sure what their guarantee is these days on the AT's, and whether they care about them being resold.  bottom line, getting a power supply with either set up will get you really nice results and will be an upgrade for you.

good luck!
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
I've read that AT 899 has about 5mV output if battery powered, while dpa4060 is much more sensitive. What about this spec in Church Audio mics? Anybody knows?
c

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »
I've read that AT 899 has about 5mV output if battery powered, while dpa4060 is much more sensitive. What about this spec in Church Audio mics? Anybody knows?
c

Betcha Chris knows...  PM him, he's as friendly as they come.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 1.63 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com