Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I am not getting even levels on both channels. I need some help!  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Ok, so my rig is in my signature.  At the roo I was fine on the first night, but somewhere between Thursday night and Friday afternoon, I started having this problem. 

The two gain knobs on the UA5 have to be set way differently to get even levels.  If the one channel is at about 1 o'clock the other channel needs to be at like 4 o'clock.  I pluged the bad channel into the other input on the UA5 andit duplicated the problem on the other channel, so I don't think the UA5 is the problem.

Has anyone had this happen before?
What can I do to trouble shoot/fix the problem?

Thanks,
Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: I am not getting even levels on both channels. I need some help!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 05:06:49 PM »
If the level problem switches channels when you switch the mic inputs plugged into the ua5, then your problem is in one of three places, the caps, the bodies or the mic cables.  I'd swap each of these around, one at a time (i.e. start by switching the caps from one body to the other but leaving the rest of the setup unchanged).  If swapping JUST the caps doesn't cause the level problem to switch channels, your caps aren't the culprit and move onto the bodies by swapping JUST the left body for the right body while keeping the caps and cables hooked up as originally, etc. 

Once you identify the problem component, go to the manufacturer/retailer and get 'em to replace.

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 05:55:18 PM »
Thanks bro.  I pretty much figured that, thanks for confirming for me.  I will check it out sometime tonight.  For some reason I didn't think about the caps.  I will give an update later.  +T
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 06:12:18 PM »
Actually, now that I think of it, I presume you have omni caps for these mics too.  I'd start by swapping the card caps for the omni caps and see if the problem's with the caps.

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:42:43 PM »
I had the exact same problem. I think another member did as well. I think I have a bad cap or body. I have to do some tests. 

T+ for your troubles.
 and one for Fozzy Low spark and Trey for hooking me up during the week end.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

jimmc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 09:49:30 PM »
Take the caps off the C4 mic bodies and check to make sure the thread that the caps screws to is screwed all the way in tight.  When I first got mine, they were loose and it caused some digi ticks, so maybe that could have an effect on levels as well.
Worth a shot anyway....
Jim

Also, maybe check the team studio project thread.  Maybe someone else had this issue.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com