Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 5d mkII For the Canon folk  (Read 10161 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 5d mkII For the Canon folk
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »

Offline dmccabe

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »
The second B&H has the new 5D Mark II in stock, I will be running to buy it.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 02:40:07 AM »
just waiting for tax season

or a profitable holiday season

stirinthesauce

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »
lust
gearl lust
high rez lust
high iso performance lust
full frame lust
5d for the 5dII lust

:drool:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=112581 

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »
That link has some truly amazing stuff on it!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »
That link has some truly amazing stuff on it!

I know!  I am lusting after that 5dII.  I will have one before summer.  No ifs ands or buts about it. 

stevetoney

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 02:22:35 AM »
Since I've only been back at this game for a month or two, I have a question related to this camera and the incredible images that are linked in Jon's post a couple posts up. 

There's no denying the outstanding quality of the images on that link and the guy says he made the images without enhancement with photoshop.  What I'm wondering about is that I read somewhere that sensor resolution has gotten to the point where it's beyond the capability of the best lenses to focus such that the image appears any sharper...IOW additional megapixels of resolution really won't make a difference in terms of how good the image looks.

I realize that the incredible panoramic night shots in the city are a function of the amazingly high ISO/low noise of the new camera.  But, in terms of the generally excellent quality sample images on the link, my question is...is the image quality of the 5dII more a function of the full frame sensor or the 21.1 megapixel resolution? 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 10:17:28 AM »
In that last sentence, I would say both, IMO.  When I went full frame, it was a night and day difference in both IQ and in high ISO performance over my previous 1.6x crop sensor. 

Notice how that guy used some standard lenses.  He used a borrowed sigma lens for one of those pano's.  For some of the video I think he used a 50 1.2.

There has been a lot of negative hype saying too much resolution will make your lenses obsolete and only the best L glass will work.  Well, the images I have been viewing with the lens pairings state contrary to this.  I just keep reading and looking at people's work with this camera and am amazed at the clarity, sharpness, detail and performance from this camera. 

LUST!

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 10:28:32 AM »
Since I've only been back at this game for a month or two, I have a question related to this camera and the incredible images that are linked in Jon's post a couple posts up. 

There's no denying the outstanding quality of the images on that link and the guy says he made the images without enhancement with photoshop.  What I'm wondering about is that I read somewhere that sensor resolution has gotten to the point where it's beyond the capability of the best lenses to focus such that the image appears any sharper...IOW additional megapixels of resolution really won't make a difference in terms of how good the image looks.

I realize that the incredible panoramic night shots in the city are a function of the amazingly high ISO/low noise of the new camera.  But, in terms of the generally excellent quality sample images on the link, my question is...is the image quality of the 5dII more a function of the full frame sensor or the 21.1 megapixel resolution? 

2 things to consider.  Higher resolution also offers more opportunities for error correction for noise reduction.  By having more pixels, you have more samples to reference for what the "correct" data for any given pixel is.  This allows the error correction and noise reduction of the embedded image processor to more accurately determine the image that should have been captured.  Kind of the why ever capture audio at 24/96 if you are just going to be playing it back at 16/44.1 discussion.

Also I'm not 100% convinced that it is true that we have reached the maximum resolution of the glass.  To believe that argument would mean that there was never any need for medium format or view cameras in the traditional photography days.  The bottom line is there is data there that the additional resolution can capture.  It may not be always necessary though, so choose your resolution wisely so it is appropriate for your work flow and final needs.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »
Also I'm not 100% convinced that it is true that we have reached the maximum resolution of the glass.  To believe that argument would mean that there was never any need for medium format or view cameras in the traditional photography days.  The bottom line is there is data there that the additional resolution can capture.  It may not be always necessary though, so choose your resolution wisely so it is appropriate for your work flow and final needs.

In my experience scanning 35mm and 6x7cm film at 4000 dpi, the advantages of better lenses becomes more apparent as you enlarge or view at high mag.  The differences are less noticeable at lower res and lower mag.

I think the digital sensors have been holding back the lenses.  As sensors improve, the emphasis will rightly shift back to lenses and inferior lenses will become more noticable.  You'll notice hardcore film photographers often shot with primes and not zooms for that reason.  I know that lenses have improved since those days but there are always tradeoffs on zoom range, weight, elements, cost, etc.

So I would say more res/quality is always better, even with so-so lenses.  You can always downsample or soften later but you can't get back what you didn't capture.

stevetoney

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 11:08:53 AM »
In that last sentence, I would say both, IMO.  When I went full frame, it was a night and day difference in both IQ and in high ISO performance over my previous 1.6x crop sensor. 

I hear ya.  This isn't the first time I've read you make this same comment.  When I got back into the hobby, all of the past memories came flooding back.  In my case of 35 years ago, I remember lusting after the Nikon F body camera, which of course was the pro standard for so many years.  When I started into larger format 120mm, my lust was the Mamiya something or other...can't remember the model number.  That lust wasn't quite as strong though because back then I just couldn't afford shooting regularly in larger format film.  I just wasn't specialized enough and my shooting was for fun...whereas most large formal Mamiya owners were professionals using it for wedding photography.

Notice how that guy used some standard lenses.  He used a borrowed sigma lens for one of those pano's.  For some of the video I think he used a 50 1.2.

Yeah, that's what makes those images all the more impressive and convincing.  This is the primary reason I asked the initial question I did.  My reasoning was, if the lens is limiting, then why the f-awe-king uk-some pictures! 

So, basically all of you have answered that, when I read that the lens has become limiting, I now agree based on these pictures that's basically bullcrap.

There has been a lot of negative hype saying too much resolution will make your lenses obsolete and only the best L glass will work.  Well, the images I have been viewing with the lens pairings state contrary to this.  I just keep reading and looking at people's work with this camera and am amazed at the clarity, sharpness, detail and performance from this camera. 

I don't know if it's a good analogy, but the 120mm camera that I owned way back when was not a very high quality camera.  I did consider my AE-1 with prime lenses to be a reasonably HQ 35mm camera back then.  Even so, the images I got with the 120mm blew away the best shots with my AE-1.  That was a fixed focus camera...I'm pretty sure that the lens wasn't all that great quality in terms of what it could have been.  The point is that in that case the film format was 3 times larger, so it was obvious to me that was a HUGE factor in improving image quality.

I think this is kinda the same point that both phanophish and freelunch are making in the previous comments too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:14:47 AM by tonedeaf »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
big bump

Who is playing with one now? 

Still lusting for one.

:drool:

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34:45 AM »
Much interest in this cam from pro film/video shooters. They like the full size chip. Gives a 35mm 'film like' depth of field.
Compare to the new Panasonic GH-1.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030315panasoniclumixdmcgh1.asp

I'm going to a 'Shootout' this Thursday night to compare these 2 still cameras, Canon, Pana, to the Red One.
Already shooters using the 5D as 'B' cam next to RED in Pro work, even though Canon is 30 fps and Red is 24.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:04 PM »
...and the ability to use L glass make super sharp images and utilizing the low light capabilities along with 21mp of resolution, yes, I can see the crossover appeal.

I am still drooling

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com