Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Power-hungry V2?  (Read 23158 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Re: Power-hungry V2?
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
Just got it back. 11 days including shipping both ways and a weekend in there. New fuse, calibration, and update of the power supply circuit, $75+shipping. And they put on a new faceplate  ;D The numbers have been worn off the old one for years. Now testing with the home stereo (and a Tekkeon, goodbye SLAs  8), and will re-christen it at Crooked Fingers tonight.

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
Neil and the others at Grace Designs offer some of the best customer service around.  Good luck with your "new" V2.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »
Turns out it's not fixed, it shut down again during Crooked Fingers tonight  :'(

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
Turns out it's not fixed, it shut down again during Crooked Fingers tonight  :'(

Frustrating!  That really stinks.  A few thoughts...

I'd be very surprised if Grace didn't fix the unit, given their consistently outstanding customer care and quality service.  It certainly could happen, but I'd bet against it.

Do you know to what voltage Grace calibrated the low battery indicator and auto-shutoff?  The correct value depends on the battery to be used.  Did they know you planned to use the V2 with your Tekkeon, and your Tekkeon's voltage?

Did you, by chance, send Grace your power cable and battery along with the V2?  Or just the V2?  Wondering if they tested it with their or your cable / battery.  If they tested with their own, it might be time to re-visit your power cable.

Out of curiousity, from where do you get your power cables?  Were all the power cables in play during powering problems from the same source?  Earlier in the thread, you said the V2  worked fine with a borrowed power cable & battery...and it seems likely the borrowed cable was from a different source.  Maybe you have a bad source for cables?

FWIW, my money's still on the power cable.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »

Frustrating!  That really stinks.  A few thoughts...

I'd be very surprised if Grace didn't fix the unit, given their consistently outstanding customer care and quality service.  It certainly could happen, but I'd bet against it.

Do you know to what voltage Grace calibrated the low battery indicator and auto-shutoff?  The correct value depends on the battery to be used.  Did they know you planned to use the V2 with your Tekkeon, and your Tekkeon's voltage?

Did you, by chance, send Grace your power cable and battery along with the V2?  Or just the V2?  Wondering if they tested it with their or your cable / battery.  If they tested with their own, it might be time to re-visit your power cable.

Out of curiousity, from where do you get your power cables?  Were all the power cables in play during powering problems from the same source?  Earlier in the thread, you said the V2  worked fine with a borrowed power cable & battery...and it seems likely the borrowed cable was from a different source.  Maybe you have a bad source for cables?

FWIW, my money's still on the power cable.
They said they set the low-battery to 5.5v and the auto-shutoff to 5v. I didn't send the cable or the battery to Grace. The problem happens with both my power cables, one of which was bought from Grace, the other one was made by a friend.

I've got a followup email out to Grace, we'll see what happens. It worked for 2.5 hours before shutting down tonight, but not sure how long Grace tested it; the problem may not have occurred for them.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »
Any non-Grace hacks made to the Grace cable, like on the Tekkeon end?  Just trying to think of points of failure other than the V2 itself, since it just came back from service.

Short of spending the money to ship the entire set of gear back to Grace (V2, power cables, batteries), we need to isolate the point of failure in the chain -- something we've not quite done yet, if memory serves (though I haven't gone back and re-read the entire thread).

Do you have a way to test the Grace & other battery cable and batteries on a known-good V2?  And likewise test known-good battery cables and battery on the recently serviced V2?
Roland R-05

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
Any non-Grace hacks made to the Grace cable, like on the Tekkeon end?  Just trying to think of points of failure other than the V2 itself, since it just came back from service.

Short of spending the money to ship the entire set of gear back to Grace (V2, power cables, batteries), we need to isolate the point of failure in the chain -- something we've not quite done yet, if memory serves (though I haven't gone back and re-read the entire thread).

Do you have a way to test the Grace & other battery cable and batteries on a known-good V2?  And likewise test known-good battery cables and battery on the recently serviced V2?
The Grace cable isn't hacked; I bought it as a package with the Tekkeon from Grace, so it was ready to run when purchased.

Unfortunately I'm not able to do the tests you mention. There are only 3-4 tapers in town here, and mine is the only V2 (or Tekkeons).

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »

Unfortunately I'm not able to do the tests you mention. There are only 3-4 tapers in town here, and mine is the only V2 (or Tekkeons).

Not really much to add, but if you're ever up in Asheville for any reason we've got a good handful of V2s around (not sure about Tekkeons).

Thanks for the updates though, having got one myself recently will be interested to see how yours plays out.  Hoping for a quick fix!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2012, 04:56:34 PM »
I'm baffled.  Sounds like the best option is to ship it all back to Grace -- V2, both battery cables, batteries -- and have them check it all, under conditions similar to the ones in which you're experiencing the failures.  Sucks!
Roland R-05

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
I'm baffled.  Sounds like the best option is to ship it all back to Grace -- V2, both battery cables, batteries -- and have them check it all, under conditions similar to the ones in which you're experiencing the failures.  Sucks!
The tech got back in touch today, we're going to do this.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
Is there any way problem with the mics or mic cables could cause this (i.e. excessive load on the V2)?
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »
WTF? That sucks sloan :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
Is there any way problem with the mics or mic cables could cause this (i.e. excessive load on the V2)?
FWIW, I've had the problem with two different pairs of mic cables. I don't even want to think about a mic problem!  :-X

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 09:35:58 PM »
The saga ends:

The good news is that
the V2 is perfectly fine. The bad news is that your batteries are
nearing the end of their life. The black Tekkeon is actually bulging, so
I would advise you to not use or charge that battery anymore and to
recycle it. The silver battery also has a very slight bulge and it
doesn't hold it's rated capacity, but it can most likely still be
useful.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
The saga ends:

The good news is that
the V2 is perfectly fine. The bad news is that your batteries are
nearing the end of their life. The black Tekkeon is actually bulging, so
I would advise you to not use or charge that battery anymore and to
recycle it. The silver battery also has a very slight bulge and it
doesn't hold it's rated capacity, but it can most likely still be
useful.

I can fix those battereis for ya :D
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com