Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Computer Recording Problems from DAT Deck  (Read 2362 times)

Offline sherman1967

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Computer Recording Problems from DAT Deck
« on: August 24, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »
I have installed a digital sound card with a coaxial SPDIF digital input in my computer.  I have connected my Tascam DA-P1 DAT deck from its coaxial SPDIF output to the soundcard's coaxial SPDIF digital input using an RCA cable.  I believe I have all of the hardware and software settings correct, but I only get a series of clicks when I try to record from the DAT deck to the computer.  I suspect my DAT deck may have a problem with its coaxial SPDIF output.

Is there any way to test this output?  If only with another input device, is there anyone in the Long Island area that wouldn't mind stopping by for a test (and a beer).

Thanks,

Steve

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Computer Recording Problems from DAT Deck
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:23:11 PM »
what card (hardware) and what software are you using?  Is the card/software set to record/monitor at the same sample rate/bit depth as the dat?

Offline sherman1967

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »
The sound card is a Diamond Multimedia XtremeSound PCIe 7.1 Channels Low Profile 24-Bit Sound Card XS71HD.  I setup the software that came with the card as attached (Capture 01.jpg).  I've tried using Audacity setup as attached (Capture 02.jpg).  The DAT was recorded at 48 kHz.  Any suggestions?  Thank you all.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
few thoughts --

1) do you have (or can you find/borrow) an cd/dvd player with a digital output (preferably coax AND optical) -- I'd start by seeing if you can narrow down the root cause -- dvds are generally 48k, so you should be able to test the same scenario (48k digital in) using a dvd in a dvd player -- cds are 44.1k -- If the cd/dvd records fine using the same cable/coax input, you've confirmed that your dap1 is your problem -- if you run into the same issue with the cd/dvd using coax, you could run the same tests using the card's optical input to further narrow down the problem (is it a driver issue or a hardware issue -- both inputs causing the same problem could be driver-related, only one input having problems could suggest hardware.

2) if the above results in the same problem on all tests, I'd a) confirm that you're using the best/most current/etc. driver, and if a driver update doesn't help, b) try moving the card to a different slot -- sometimes, physical card location can cause a problem too . . .

hope this gets you somewhere!

Offline sherman1967

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I do have a dvd player with a coaxial digital output that I can use.  Good suggestion.  Didn't think of it.  Thanks again.  Steve

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »
it sounds very similar to issues i've had with audio drivers.  chances are you can utilize a different driver than the default (like an updated one) and it will work better.

it sounds like a software issue, in my opinion.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 07:44:13 PM »
make sure that the clock source is set to External in the computer, (and the sample rate and bit depth are identical to your source), otherwise it won't lock to the SPDIF signal from the deck or CD/DVD machine under test.

:headphones:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com