Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Minidisc questions  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Cowabunga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Minidisc questions
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »
Hello,
i'm new here and i hope that you can help me.

I have a sharp sr 70 minidisc and a ECM DS70P stereo microphone.

i want to use it to recording concerts from taping friendly bands

My questions are:
which recording level must i choose, the best ?
is it better to use de mic in de line in or just the mic connection?
If i get the change to make a sounboard recording how do i connect my md?

I hope you can help me.

gr Cowabunga

Offline diapason

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Minidisc questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »
I've used MD in the past for broadcast work (community radio).  I used a Sony MZR1 in a 'Reporter' housing which provided a decent battery and the ability to use XLR mics and 1/4" jack cans. 

MD uses compression, so there's always a compromise in quality.  Nevertheless, you can get decent recordings from the format.  ALC would lose more quality - bringing up background noise when the music source is low and lopping the top off louder sections.  Use manual where you can, setting the level to a tad below what you anticipate the max to be - get there early and do a test recording during the rehearsal.  Make any gain adjustments VERY slowly and gently.  You need to plug you mic into a mic socket, otherwise the input levels will be wrong.  If you're taking a feed from the PA or a mixer, then you use the line input socket.  Always wear cans to listen to what you're recording.

Good luck, and enjoy.  Our station have laregly moved over to Marantz PMD 660's and Zoom's, but we still use MD somethimes.

Nigel
www.10radio.org

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »
I would check in at minidisc.com where they specialize in MD issues.  These can be very good recorders.  Some record in native WAV format and are very good recorders. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

nameloc01

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »
You always want to set your levels manually. Unless you are recording very soft acoustic music run "line in"..if you record any type of loud music the mic input will get overpowered and you'll end up clipping your recording.

Offline Cowabunga

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:57:22 AM »
my md give this error:
toc can't read
I put new discs in it but it don't work

What can i do??

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
I would check in at minidisc.com where they specialize in MD issues.  These can be very good recorders.  Some record in native WAV format and are very good recorders. 

toc errors best explained by the experts. I've never had one, and I've used Sharp MD decks for years

good luck

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:08:14 PM »
If you get a toc error on all the discs you try, the machine must be having a problem reading discs. It obviously needs service. If you just bought it used, you should return it if you can-the seller sold you a defective recorder.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:51:33 AM »
If you get a toc error on all the discs you try, the machine must be having a problem reading discs. It obviously needs service.

What he said.
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=20617&hl=\toc+error\

Let's face it, your model is from 2000, that's 9 years ago. It's probably toast. Used legacy MD recorders are selling on ebay for $20-30 or so. I doubt you can find any servicing for cheaper than that.

Take this as a cue to upgrade to a more modern rig. How much do you want to spend?!  ;D
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
Take this as a cue to upgrade to a more modern rig. How much do you want to spend?!  ;D

This is exactly what I did a year ago; I bought a Songcatcher PMD660 from Oade Brothers to go with my Rode NT4 (which I had been using with a Sony MZR-700). The Sony got to the point where just the vibration of the (amplified) music would make it skip during recording. It wasn't worth repairing so I went to solid state and haven't looked back. The XLR inputs (of the 660) alone made it worth spending the money. Not to mention the ability to record for more than 80 minutes without a disc change. The only real limitation of the 660 is battery life (but there are loads of external packs available if you're "rolling" for more than a three hours).

MiniDisc is dead (at least to me) and good riddance!

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »
I'm still using a Mini-disc recorder in the uk!

mic in gets best results but overloads easier(level 1-3 most times)- a battery box would give you more room

line in with a battery box will give you a clearer recording but will be quiet- I record around level 28 line in and get good results

a pre-amp would make line-in recording louder but it's another bit of kit to buy/carry

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »
For the price is would cost to ship the deck,pay for the repairs and then the turnaround time..you can grab an RH1 off of ebay,or spend a few more bucks and buy new. The on board preamps are among the best available, second only to the SD units and you can get 1:30+ of PCM recording per disc. Can also upload all of your standard MDs digitally to your PC.

Team MD doesn't look kindly on traitors.
:P

Offline boojum

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 02:09:47 AM »
I still have my RH1 and the accessory battery pack, after market, and have some super lavelier mics coming with their own battery box to run with the RH1.  I like the format and the machine, the RH1.  I am eager to see how well it can sound with the new mics: DPA4061's.
Nov schmoz kapop.

nameloc01

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 02:29:31 AM »
^ I think you already know the answer to that. :)

Offline boojum

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 12:06:13 PM »
I do not steal shows a la "stealth."  There is a group I love which plays regularly in a saloon in Portland, OR.  I want to set up there and see what I can come away with.  I will also try the setup other places, just for fun.  Yes, the RH1 is underrated.  And severely dissed here.  By folks who do not own one or have used one.  It is a shame as this is a very good machine.  Regardless, I am very pleased with my RH1.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:11:27 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 12:12:43 PM »
I do not steal shows a la "stealth."  There is a group I love which plays regularly in a saloon in Portland, OR.  I want to set up there and see what I can come away with.  I will also try the setup oher places, just for fun.  Yes, the RH1 is underrated.  And severely dissed here.  By folks who do not own one or have used one.  It is a shame as this is a very good machine.  Regardless, I am very pleased with my RH1.
IMO minidisc still has a few advantages: small size, great preamps (esp for quiet shows/ambient/nature sounds/ etc), and some very nice remotes.  I have a PCM-D50 which has the pres, but is still too big, and the remote is not very good (cannot see levels on remote).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com